T Nation

Squat Bar

Does it make much difference lifting with these longer 8 foot bars, I’ve seen one for cheap that I’m thinking of buying all the bars ive been using are bent.

Who’s used them and does it effect lifting? Squats and deads.

What brand squat bar is it? Squat bars aren’t good for deads because they are thicker, which makes them stiffer and harder to hold.

They’re good for squatting obviously, especially if you have a big wingspan and feel that normal oly bars are too narrow for your grip.

www.strengthshop.co.uk/bars/olympic-sprung-steel-shaft-8-squat-bar-32mm.html Nice n cheap to leave at the gym I train at I was thinking itd be ok for deads building a stronger grip n all that

Obviously more for squats although I use a narrow grip on the bar

I’d be hesitant to leave any specialty bar at a commercial gym for others to use. My uni gym had a really nice deadlift bar for awhile but then some ass decided to use it for clean and jerks and he dropped the bar from over his head and busted it.

Unless you are too tight in your shoulders to get a good grip on a 7ft bar and/or are squatting megatons I can’t really see why you would need it.

I find the knurling is much nicer which helps because I keep the bar quite low. It’s also stiffer so doesn’t whip as much, especially compared to some of the cheaper 7 foot bars that are often at gyms

[quote]Astar wrote:
I find the knurling is much nicer which helps because I keep the bar quite low. It’s also stiffer so doesn’t whip as much, especially compared to some of the cheaper 7 foot bars that are often at gyms[/quote]

Mastadon bars are awesome for the knurling and stiffness. Plus since I false grip the bar it’s easier on my tiny hands to actually get dug in tight.

[quote]deep squat wrote:
www.strengthshop.co.uk/bars/olympic-sprung-steel-shaft-8-squat-bar-32mm.html Nice n cheap to leave at the gym I train at I was thinking itd be ok for deads building a stronger grip n all that[/quote]
I think first get a good bar to keep with you. Any 28 mm power bar will have decent whip for the deadlift but be stiff enough for squats and bench. Look for something with a high tensile strength, I’m not sure what’s a good deal in the UK for bars

[quote]deep squat wrote:
I’ve seen one for cheap that I’m thinking of buying all the bars ive been using are bent. [/quote]

Maybe this is telling you something.

Buy a quality bar, don’t leave weight on it, don’t let people at a gym use it.

It will last you decades and save you in the long run.

This is your game, invest in it, respect your equipment.

[quote]tsantos wrote:

[quote]deep squat wrote:
I’ve seen one for cheap that I’m thinking of buying all the bars ive been using are bent. [/quote]

Maybe this is telling you something.

Buy a quality bar, don’t leave weight on it, don’t let people at a gym use it.

It will last you decades and save you in the long run.

This is your game, invest in it, respect your equipment.[/quote]

This. Unless you’re squatting some elite weights, a specialty squat bar v. a standard barbell isn’t going to do jack shit for you. What will matter is the quality of the barbell.

Buy a quality barbell first. If you find yourself with more money to burn down the road, I’d be buying a DL bar way before a squat bar. If you start squatting 700+ pounds and have those two, then think about burning money on a specialty squat bar.

Thanks lads I’ll abandon the idea of the squat bar and hunt for a decent power bar.