Squat Bar Position?

I just got back from the gym and noticed that I have a couple of nasty scratches on both sides of my back from where the bar was resting during squats (I usually position the bar just below the end of my traps, tried to go lower but felt too uncomfortable). I’ve only noticed this recently, as I’ve squatted for years but never had this problem before.

Is it me or is it possibly the bar (the bar I’ve been using at the gym seems relatively new, the grips aren’t smoothed out) and has anyone else have this problem and is there a way to fix it?

Just part of the game. Yes could likely be do to the new bar and make sure you are really PULLING the bar tight to your back

i get this every now and than, specially when going heavier…not just on squats but also on hack squats and when on the “leg sled”…all you have to do is wrap a towel around the bar or set it over your shoulders and it should do the trick…

Thanks for the tips, guys. I’ll try the towel suggestion tomorrow when I squat and see how that is.

What do people think about the foam tubing some gyms have that you can wrap around the middle of the bar? Anyone use them?

You are seriously considering using a towel or or foam around the bar to protect your back?? Is it really worth it? First of all it is really next to impossible to keep a low bar position with the bar wrapped and secondly it just looks wuss-ish. I’m developing soft spots from where the bar rests across my rear delts. Just suck it up, chicks dig the scars anyways.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
Thanks for the tips, guys. I’ll try the towel suggestion tomorrow when I squat and see how that is.

What do people think about the foam tubing some gyms have that you can wrap around the middle of the bar? Anyone use them?[/quote]

I read somewhere that using foam tube around the bar pushes your head forward, disrupts your balance and places neck under more stress. I’m not sure about this one, but it does make sense if tubing is extra thick.

Personally, with heavy squats I always wear 2 layers of clothing on upper body (T shirt and a sweat shirt over it); heat isn’t a problem for me as my gym has air conditioning.

[quote]TTewell342 wrote:
You are seriously considering using a towel or or foam around the bar to protect your back?? Is it really worth it? First of all it is really next to impossible to keep a low bar position with the bar wrapped and secondly it just looks wuss-ish. I’m developing soft spots from where the bar rests across my rear delts. Just suck it up, chicks dig the scars anyways.[/quote]

It doesn’t bother me, but my wife isn’t too fond of the scars, so hence, the reason for my question.

If you are training bodybuilding style and trying to hit your quads when you squat then by all means try the towl or buy a manta ray. However max strength is your main concern just deal with it. I get disgusting red marks on the back of my shoulders everytime I squat. It doesn’t hurt at all and just looks a little ugly for a day or two. I would rather have some temporary red marks on my shoulders than a bad back and knees.

I just press my traps together. The part of the bar without the grip is mostly what is resting on my traps. My delts don’t really get touched.

I personally hate any kind of wrap on the bar, but that’s just me.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
What do people think about the foam tubing some gyms have that you can wrap around the middle of the bar? Anyone use them?[/quote]

I use one for heavy squats - got it online for next to nothing. I find it a little distracting when the damn bar hurts (as it does when I squat real heavy), so rather than suck it up and risk losing focus, I stick a foam pad on - works great for me.

It doesn’t come close to my neck, so there’s no interference there whatsoever - but some pads are quite thick and large, so you have to pay attention if you’re going to buy one. I don’t notice any change in balance etc., but I guess it’s possible. Would that count as mixing it up a little though? :slight_smile:

Regards,

WiZ

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
I just got back from the gym and noticed that I have a couple of nasty scratches on both sides of my back from where the bar was resting during squats (I usually position the bar just below the end of my traps, tried to go lower but felt too uncomfortable). I’ve only noticed this recently, as I’ve squatted for years but never had this problem before.

Is it me or is it possibly the bar (the bar I’ve been using at the gym seems relatively new, the grips aren’t smoothed out) and has anyone else have this problem and is there a way to fix it?[/quote]

Check out this thread I started last week. Mine was delivered today…

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=727035