Squat Bar Form

hey guys…i posted a week or so ago about my squat (awful video)… anyway, i tried to encorporate some techniques toda, including puting my hands wider, and bar higher, just a (serious) question… is it supposed to hurt your traps like hell the first few times?.. i used to squat oympic style (in terms of bar placement)… then switched to what i thought was “powerlifting style” (basically, the bar was underneath my traps… today it was just kind of in the middle of them… and…yeah…hurt like hell… is that typically for the first few times, or does it sound like i’m still doing it wrong?

p.s… on a side, i decided to test my max-single… so as to see what adjustments in form etc. would do… i hit 380 (pretty pleased)… but… it was the worst form ever… i LITERALLY goodmorninged it up after lifting my ass and keeping my head down out of the hole

Your best bet is to find a group of lifters in your area to help you. Squatting cannot be taught online.

btlifter; where are you based?

hey guys, i realise the internet is not the optimal place to get technique pointers from, unfortunately i’m based in Grande Prairie Alberta (Canada) for 8 months of the year (right now, college)…where, as far as i’ve seen, there’s nobody who has any better form than i have… a few freaky strong guys… but, not many… during the summer i live in Prince Goerge BC (Canada)… and, i know OF some strong guys there, so, i’m hoping to get in touch with them, but, i don’t know them personally

take a video of it and upload it to youtube. Easiest way to get a proper critique from everyone(including coaches and trainers).

My traps hurt a bit too (muscle soreness, not just pressure) after the change from OL, high on the traps, to PL on top of the rear delts. Bear in mind you still need to draw your traps tight to support the bar, even though your hands maybe wider than you’re used to

you probably GM’d that baby up b/c when you squat with a high bar (OL) your torso stays much more upright(close to vertical), failing to really get your glutes/hamstrings/hips at the bottom

on the opposite side of the coin, the low bar forces your torso forward (closer to 45 deg) stretching the glutes/hamstrings at the bottom

best thing to do besides your choice of supplemental work (ironically the good morning is a good ex) is think of the cue, ‘chest up!’ as you get to the bottom and start to drive

i think the dude from youtube squat RX goes over it in squat RX # 3

my $.02

[quote]lbh110 wrote:
My traps hurt a bit too (muscle soreness, not just pressure) after the change from OL, high on the traps, to PL on top of the rear delts. Bear in mind you still need to draw your traps tight to support the bar, even though your hands maybe wider than you’re used to

you probably GM’d that baby up b/c when you squat with a high bar (OL) your torso stays much more upright(close to vertical), failing to really get your glutes/hamstrings/hips at the bottom

on the opposite side of the coin, the low bar forces your torso forward (closer to 45 deg) stretching the glutes/hamstrings at the bottom

best thing to do besides your choice of supplemental work (ironically the good morning is a good ex) is think of the cue, ‘chest up!’ as you get to the bottom and start to drive

i think the dude from youtube squat RX goes over it in squat RX # 3

my $.02

[/quote]

GMing out of the hole - squatrx.

Activating Glutes/Hams