Squat Assistance Work

I’m putting together a cycle leading up to my meet after making really great gains on smolov base cycle. My gym has a dogs*** leg press that only goes up to 205 and I can rep out crazy on that so I need a few assistance exercises mainly for my quads as thats where I’m weak still.

My deadlift is around 550 so my posterior chain is good its just turning it round is hard.
I want to do a 440 squat in my meet and I’m sat around 410. doable in 9 weeks? :stuck_out_tongue:

cheers guys!

Definitely do-able, you just have to work your ass off. Is your technique killer? if you have any doubts about it, I would suggest posting a video, because slight improvements to technique might lead to bigger gains in a short period of time. So there is that.

Otherwise, I would advise front squats. A lot of them. Really deep, with great form. That will help get your quads stronger and bigger, and will help squat technique because you’ll have to fight to keep upright. I’m assuming, cause your deadlift is pretty strong, that your back and your hips are strong, so I think hammering front squats will probably really get your quads working, which in turn will probably get your squat up pretty well.

Also, depending on your style, just doing a higher-bar squat might let you train deeper + with more quad activation. IF you could get your high-bar squat up 30 or 40 lbs I bet your low bar would go up too. But again, that depends on your style.

Other than that… I would suggest going really high volume on squats for the next 4-5 weeks, for a few reasons: 1) The best way to get better at squatting is squatting. 2) doing a ton of repititions at a moderate weight is going to improve technique and confidence, and 3) more volume = more potential for size and strength gains. So this is what I might do: week 1, pick a weight that you can easily handle for 10 reps and do a 5 x 10. Week 2, do another 5 x 10, only try to beat the weight from the last week. Week 3, do another 5 x 10, but keep the weight lenient - maybe you will go heavier than week 2, or maybe you will go light if last week was hard, and you will use it as technique work. Week 4, squat a 5 x 8 heavier than the past 3 weeks. week 5, try to beat the 5 x 8. week 6, hit a 5 x 6. Week 7, 5 x 4. Then, week 8 work up to a heavy double (I would suggest trying to double your opener for the meet). Thaat way, you get a TON of volume in those first few weeks. Your technique is locked in, your body is primed to grow. And in the last few weeks, you are going heavier every single workout, building confidence, and sort of “honing” all that hard work you put in during those high volume weeks. Then, you smash your opener for a double, and you can go into the meet ready to crush your 440 goal.

Anyways, thati’s my advice, take it for what it’s worth. Best of luck friend, keep us updated and keep at it.

Definitely do-able, you just have to work your ass off. Is your technique killer? if you have any doubts about it, I would suggest posting a video, because slight improvements to technique might lead to bigger gains in a short period of time. So there is that.

Otherwise, I would advise front squats. A lot of them. Really deep, with great form. That will help get your quads stronger and bigger, and will help squat technique because you’ll have to fight to keep upright. I’m assuming, cause your deadlift is pretty strong, that your back and your hips are strong, so I think hammering front squats will probably really get your quads working, which in turn will probably get your squat up pretty well.

Also, depending on your style, just doing a higher-bar squat might let you train deeper + with more quad activation. IF you could get your high-bar squat up 30 or 40 lbs I bet your low bar would go up too. But again, that depends on your style.

Other than that… I would suggest going really high volume on squats for the next 4-5 weeks, for a few reasons: 1) The best way to get better at squatting is squatting. 2) doing a ton of repititions at a moderate weight is going to improve technique and confidence, and 3) more volume = more potential for size and strength gains. So this is what I might do: week 1, pick a weight that you can easily handle for 10 reps and do a 5 x 10. Week 2, do another 5 x 10, only try to beat the weight from the last week. Week 3, do another 5 x 10, but keep the weight lenient - maybe you will go heavier than week 2, or maybe you will go light if last week was hard, and you will use it as technique work. Week 4, squat a 5 x 8 heavier than the past 3 weeks. week 5, try to beat the 5 x 8. week 6, hit a 5 x 6. Week 7, 5 x 4. Then, week 8 work up to a heavy double (I would suggest trying to double your opener for the meet). Thaat way, you get a TON of volume in those first few weeks. Your technique is locked in, your body is primed to grow. And in the last few weeks, you are going heavier every single workout, building confidence, and sort of “honing” all that hard work you put in during those high volume weeks. Then, you smash your opener for a double, and you can go into the meet ready to crush your 440 goal.

Anyways, thati’s my advice, take it for what it’s worth. Best of luck friend, keep us updated and keep at it.