T Nation

Squat and Feet Angle

I’ve read that the angle your feet make should be about 30 degrees, but I’ve found that having my feet point out at 45 degrees allows me to go deeper and keep my lower back in a rounded state and alot more natural curve.

Is this acceptable? Is it my bone structure or should this higher angle of feet pointing out be avoided?

Whatever you are most comfortable with. To an extent varying foot angle can affect how you squat and where the load is distributed, but by and large follow what your body tells you is best.

I don’t angle mine much because it feels more natural not to.

[quote]saps wrote:
Whatever you are most comfortable with. To an extent varying foot angle can affect how you squat and where the load is distributed, but by and large follow what your body tells you is best.[/quote]

Damn right!

[quote]Br3nt0n wrote:
I’ve read that the angle your feet make should be about 30 degrees, but I’ve found that having my feet point out at 45 degrees allows me to go deeper and keep my lower back in a rounded state and alot more natural curve.
[/quote]

Strange. I’ve read articles saying to have your feet at 45 degrees. I used to have mine at less of an angle but when I changed to 45 degrees I found it far more comfortable. Go with whatever works for your individual and unique biomechanics.

I don’t know if this really works or not, but I read it somewhere:

Jump straight up in the air. When you land look at your foot placement. This should be the most natural foot placement for squats.

I’m there with you man, I’m usually at about 45 or so. Rainjack’s idea is a good one; I usually find my feet naturally settling at 45 degree angles or so.

I keep mine fairly forward. Sometimes they go to an angle of 15 degrees or less. Otherwise, I don’t really angle my feet.

Then again, I am mostly a quad dominant squatter, and that might have something to do with it.