Squat and DL question

How long does it take for a beginner to start moving good weight in these lifts?

4.7 weeks

Once you get the form dialed, the weight will increase quickly. The trick is to not try to keep that rapid increase going beyond what it should, as you’ll compromise form trying to pull more weight.

If you’re stronger than average (average athlete) with some weight training experience, 225 should be reasonable within the first few weeks of heavier lifting.

I’d agree with brider though. Learn first, load later. You can save yourself a boatload of problems if you take the time to nail down the technique.

Sack,

That is one of those comments that sent me into a laughing bender…hahaha “4.7 weeks”. Go figure.

Can’t comment on squat but I just started DLing 5 weeks ago and when I started off my form was total crap, I had no idea what I was doing, and could barely pull 135lbs x 5. Luckily another t-mag reader happened to be in the gym at the same time and took a few minutes to correct my form. 5 weeks later I’m trying to max and this morning I pulled 135 x 5, 225 x 5, 255 x 5 before stopping and just figuring I’ll use 300 for my max for my next 3 week cycle.

I guess the key here is what do you consider “good weight”? If you want to pull what some of the powerlifters are pulling you’re going to have to wait a while.

On squats and deadlifts concentrate more on your teqnique rather than pushing up alot of weight. I tell all new people whos starting out on squats, deadlifts, basically anything to concentrate on form rather than lifting huge amounts of weight. There are people in the gym everyday I see that have horrible form and push up alot of weight. That is easy to do and also a good way to get hurt. Do not let pride get in your way if starting out you can only do 115 on squats or 135 with very strict form that is fine. Just dont let these idiots tell you will hurt yourself if you go to low, like alot of them have told me. I squat as far down with my back straight feet planted as I can go. Learn the correct form and go from there. Good Luck

I’ve been training specifically for strength for just a few weeks, and my squat is now 225, full squat, with good form.

I’ve been training about 6months total, and before now I’d been mainly training for fatloss/hypertrophy, and my squat was somewhere around 150.

I’m hoping for 315 by the end of this ‘strength cycle’ :slight_smile: