Squat and Deadlift Same Day?

HI everyone,

I would like to know if it’s too much to squat and deadlift the same day, in the same workout.

What are you guys thinking about that ?

THANX ALOT T-Nation

dave

For a relative newbie, I’d say that you can do them on the same day without a lot of compromised performance in either.

However, I think would be more optimal to include variations other than full squats and full deadlifts. Pick a full squat variation for your main movement (low box squat, Anderson squat, low bar powerlifting style squat, high bar squat, etc.) and a deadlift variation as your second movement (rack pull, snatch grip deadlift, defecit deadlifts, etc.).

And then when you’re ready to switch it up, make the deadlift your main movement and a secondary squat exercise as a followup (front squats, zercher squats, etc.)

You’ll just have to play around with it and see how it works for you. Juet be conscious of your lower back and make sure that as it begins to fatigue, it does not begin rounding over.

-Matt

I used to be able to do both in the same workout, but that was when I was weaker. There’s no way I could do it anymore.

However, I can do squats and SLDL in the same workout if I wanted. But the increased weight/intensity in conventional deadlifts makes it counterproductive to do both in one session. This is why I train quads alone (squats included) and pair hams with back (DL included).

But if you can handle both, more power to you. Keep going with what works.

The universe will implode.

ME squats followed by ME deads will suck and the whichever you do last won’t get the attention it deserves.

Use variations of the movements, and vary the rep schemes. You knew this.

This is a very general question. Because of that, I say it can be done. It just depends on the volume and intensity you’re doing. If you take half of your squats and replace them with deadlifts, I don’t see much of an argument of why that can’t work.

It’s like the debate of training twice in one day. Some say it’s too much. If I just take my workout and do half in the AM and half in the PM, how could that be too much?

I’m doing it right now since I’m on CT’s new program that has one heavy leg day. I find the deads fatigue the lower back too much to keep good form on heavy squats so I do the heavy deads last. I squat +300lbs and dead +400lbs and still manage to hit both pretty hard during one workout.

After three weeks I admit I’m beginning to emphasize one lift on one day and then switching it up the next week. It’s a bitch, no doubt, but it can be done. Just keep your form perfect to avoid injury and monitor for overtraining.

I’m a big believer in the Bill Starr-style of 5x5. If you follow the non-olympic lift version, you deadlift and squat every Wednesday (on a M-W-F schedule). Not a problem at all.

I’m doing CW’s 10x3 FFL right now and
do deadlifts and squats in the same
session. Whichever one is second
in the sequence always suffers though,
especially if the deads are first.

I’m a big believer in the Bill Starr-style of 5x5. If you follow the non-olympic lift version, you deadlift and squat every Wednesday (on a M-W-F schedule). Not a problem at all.

I actually want to start Bill starr’s 5x5 but I wonder if I’m going to be able to increase my deadlift load if I squat before.

Also, with this program I have to squat M-W-F. I squat/deadlift only wednesday. Is it too much ?

And what is the non-olympic lift version ?

thanx alot for help and forget my new questions. :slight_smile:

dave

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
I’m doing it right now since I’m on CT’s new program that has one heavy leg day. I find the deads fatigue the lower back too much to keep good form on heavy squats so I do the heavy deads last. I squat +300lbs and dead +400lbs and still manage to hit both pretty hard during one workout.

After three weeks I admit I’m beginning to emphasize one lift on one day and then switching it up the next week. It’s a bitch, no doubt, but it can be done. Just keep your form perfect to avoid injury and monitor for overtraining.[/quote]

Yeah I just got done with the quad/ham day of CT’s new program this morning. I did squats and deads too, and I feel like I’m crippled from the waist down.

This is most likely just from the volume, intensity, and rest periods of the program. I still managed to get through it fine, but I just can’t walk now, haha.

I’d say that it’s definately do-able. I’m going to do the same workout next week too.

to Kruiser: what does your lactic acid workout look like?