Squat and Deadlift Only

If you want “the most bang for your buck” type of exercises then I’d say clean n press & squats would be the way to go.

Once you start building your house it should be easy to do pull ups on any of the framing you’ve put up. Maybe before then you could find a low hanging tree branch or something?

You should be able to maintain with the equipment you listed.

How long do you think it’s gonna take to build your house?

[quote]gregron wrote:
If you want “the most bang for your buck” type of exercises then I’d say clean n press & squats would be the way to go.

Once you start building your house it should be easy to do pull ups on any of the framing you’ve put up. Maybe before then you could find a low hanging tree branch or something?

You should be able to maintain with the equipment you listed.

How long do you think it’s gonna take to build your house?[/quote]

yea thats what i intend to do once ive got the basement/foundation done ill be in some sort of groove so ill hopefully be in a better position to plan a bit of training .
im plannin on a year until ill be able to live in it .

Good luck with the self build, that’s pretty brave. Is Kevin McCloud going to be coming round to criticise it?!

Sorry, nothing to add on the weight training front.

Sometimes I wish Professor X would come back.

There are too many questions asked on this site that ask for decimal places. I mean like someone asking how many sets do I need to do for forearms? Should I eat 1750 cals on my non-training days or stick to 2200?

Only two kinds of people need to know stuff that precisely…pros, and newbies. Well, I should say only newbies ask about stuff that precisely.

[quote]Merv77 wrote:
Good luck with the self build, that’s pretty brave. Is Kevin McCloud going to be coming round to criticise it?!

Sorry, nothing to add on the weight training front.[/quote]

thanks man . me and the wife bought the land 11 years ago and we put 300/400 pounds away every month.
its only gonna be a bungalow all on one level but thats all we need . no more rent n no mortgage n my gym in the basement .

Clean + Press, military press, squat, front squat, deadlift, floor press, curls, shrugs, snatch grip deads, high pulls, bentover rows, lying extensions, snatch, power snatch, hang clean.

Pick a couple of these, hit them hard, pick some different ones, hit those. Pretty simple really.

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:
Clean + Press, military press, squat, front squat, deadlift, floor press, curls, shrugs, snatch grip deads, high pulls, bentover rows, lying extensions, snatch, power snatch, hang clean.

Pick a couple of these, hit them hard, pick some different ones, hit those. Pretty simple really. [/quote]
thanks man . i know what to do as i said ive been training for 10 years but i was interested what people thought would be the result of just hitting a couple or more of the big heavy lifts now and again. i liked that video of you draggin your sled by your house im gonna make myself one of them eventally

Bump. Had to. I was stunned by some of the thought processes. Why, I don’t know. I should know better. But consider:

Deadlift on day 1. Pick a rep/set scheme you like 10 x 3, 5 x 5, 1 x 20 breathing squat style. Use a form of progression, either single or double or both for that matter.

Overhead Press on day 2–repeating above parameters. Repeat for 2-6 months.

Does anyone one REALLY think that doing this along with some manual labor for “metcon” is going to make you small, weak, unbalanced, prone to injury, and unevenly developed? There isn’t a muscle not being used in some form of coordinated way by these 2 exercises alone (never mind a cool clean & press add in).

Really? Nonsense.

In fact such a stripped down program is probably the best thing a great many people could do.

Sounds like perfect scenario for barbell complexes, there is a great article about them on site.

Minimal eq and time required and they will efficiently wreck every part of the body in the process.

[quote]lia67 wrote:
im gonna start building my house this summer so training is gonna be a bit sidelined ,im miles from nowhere n ill be living in a caravan on site .ill be doing pushups n stuff but what can i hope for by only d lifting n squating heavy (with my home made wooden squat rack) . this is the only thing that has interfered with my training for the last 10 years .thanks for any ideas[/quote]

Your situation is similar to mine.

I had to quit gyms because of the nature of my workouts (there are no hardcore gyms here), so I decided to buy a barbell and plates.

For 7 years this has been my only equipment. If I wanted to squat then I had to learn to power clean.

Consider the squat rack a luxury.

-Pros: Your attitude will change from lifting this way (androgenic, aggressiveness), hypertrophy in every muscle group except the mentioned in the cons.

-Cons: Poor bicep, tricep, pectoral stimuli.

Recommendations:

1. Olympic Lift Variations (Specially the Power Clean and Power Snatch).
  2. Power Snatch + Overhead Squat. (This is fucking awesome).
  3. Military press.
  4. Add calf raises to your squats and deadlifts at the end of reps.
  5. Alternate frequently between front, back, and overhead squats to avoid neurological movement pattern overload.
  6. Enjoy a “Non-Gym” scene for your lifting, you can play with a soccer ball in between sets or do whatever the fuck you want.
  7. Play your own music loud. Not that estrogenic shit they play at the gyms.
  8. Vary your deadlifts: Pronated grip, mixed grip, Sumo Pronated, Sumo Mixed Grip, etc.
  9. Vary rep ranges and train frequently. This will benefit you since you are doing less movements than most lifters.

That’s all I can think of right now.

Good luck man,
Carlos

Oh and how could I not mention this damn con: You won’t be able to meet or see hot girls at the gym. That shouldn’t limit your strength and hypertrophy increases but it won’t benefit promiscuity.

[quote]lia67 wrote:

[quote]Merv77 wrote:

Sorry, nothing to add on the weight training front.[/quote]

thanks man . me and the wife bought the land 11 years ago and we put 300/400 pounds away every month.
its only gonna be a bungalow all on one level but thats all we need . no more rent n no mortgage n my gym in the basement .[/quote]

That’s awesome man! Best of luck with the build. Maybe on training topic you could look at what are your physique weakness is and use the month or two months to focus training on that/those weakness until, like you said, in a month make a better total body routine.
Basically use this month or two to pick your biggest weakness and attack it for that month or two.

Damn! I didn’t even read the date. DOH!

[quote]lia67 wrote:

[quote]Bmacres wrote:
You can accomplish a lot with a squat rack, barbell, and plates. A little research goes a long way. [/quote]
i have researched and trained for about the past 10 years im trying to find out what the minimum training i can do just to maintain while im building my house .[/quote]

Minimum to maintain is something like two full body sessions per week: 6 to 8 exercises hittign everything for 2 to 4 sets each.