Squat and Deadlift in Same Workout

I think Steve Korte’s 3x3 has all three powerlifts 3 times a week. So I guess it can be done. Rotating the intensity of course, you’re not going to be firing on all cylinders for every lift everyday.

[quote]JPeggEFS wrote:
I did it for a long time. Guys at the gym who are still using conjugate periodization do it as well. I know theyre doing it at Lexen and Westside as well.

jason[/quote]

Whoa, Jason Pegg is posting on T-Nation! SICK! You’re a beast dude (no suck up)

I do them both on the same day, but not heavy for both. I’ll squat heavy, and then do a deadlift variation for 5-8. On dynamic day I do both. That really tears me up, in a good way. been doing it that way for about a year, still pushing the numbers up

I used to use them both in the same routine day but I always alternated them week 1 I would do Squats ME and deadlifts for something like 3-4 for 8 and then the week 2 I would do the opposite.

Dude its fine to do both on the same day. just check out CT’s Skinny-Legs Cure.

My current program and one I had a lot of success with kind goes like this

I alternate between-

Workout A- Dynamic effort box squats done for a bunch of doubles or triples with briefs only; some deadlift variant working up to a max single followed by some fast doubles or triples with a light weight.

Workout B- A heavy full gear squat workout usually working up to a max single with chains or bands and sometimes with down set of 3 to 5 reps with a lighter weight with no chains/bands; rack pulls up to a heavy set of 3 to 5

The accessory work tends to be pretty minimal, especially on the heavy squat day.

I can’t squat heavy every week and I can’t pull heavy every week. But I can do this.

Deadlifting after sqautting usually isn’t that bad the way I run this. I keep the deadlift warm ups to a minimum (i’m ususally pretty well warmed up after squatting). For example if I am chasing a PR on chain pulls, I will warm up like this: 135 x3, 315 x2, 495 x1, 545 +chains and work up from there. Between that and focusing the training singles, I still have plenty in the tank to hit two or three big pulls.

The rackpulls on the heavy squat day can be3 pretty heavy realitve to my full range pull. However, the short range of motion tends to make them not very taxing.

Today’s timely Rip Quote of the Day:

“…but then again, those who argue against squatting and deadlifting on the same day may just be pussies.”

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
165StateChamp wrote:
During football season, I couldn’t train as often so I just packed my squat and deadlift into the same session. Worst decision of my training career. I was training to failure on squat, and then going heavy on deadlift and by the end of it my lower back was incredibly sore and tight. I did get good gains but after about a month and a half everything just started breaking down. If you REALLY feel like you HAVE to do it in the same session, then you have to go light on one of the movements.

How is that a bad decision? You said it yourself that you made some good gains. You should have de-loaded for a week or two and hit the weights again, you probably would have seen some more progress.[/quote]

It really messed with football which at the time was a lot more important because we’d had a lot of coaching changes. I had to run routes and make tackles with lower back pain that was so severe I couldn’t get any real power or speed going. However, looking back, your suggestion probably is correct. But now that I have more time to focus on training specifically for powerlifting, I don’t see the need to jampack my sessions like that.

I do them both on the same day

Leg Day:

Wide Stance Squats- work up to a 3 or 6 rep max

Deadlift- work up to 2 or 5 rep max

Stiff Leg Deadlift- work up to a 3 or 4 rep max Hit a new pr ( 475 max) happy as hell.

Olympic Squats- work up to a 1 or 3 rep max

I limp around for the rest of the week

[quote]Captain Zero wrote:
I do them bith on the same day

Leg Day:

Wide Stance Squats- work up to a 3 or 6 rep max

Deadlift- work up to 2 or 5 rep max

Stiff Leg Deadlift- work up to a 3 or 4 rep max Hit a new pr ( 475 max) happy as hell.

Olympic Squats- work up to a 1 or 3 rep max[/quote]

You max on 4 similar compound movements in one day? every week?

wow.

[quote]ninearms wrote:
Today’s timely Rip Quote of the Day:

“…but then again, those who argue against squatting and deadlifting on the same day may just be pussies.”[/quote]

x2 I love that quote.

Both on the same day? Why the hell not? As long the volume is low you will be fine. I’ve been doing them on the same day for a year. I do a PR squat and a PR deadlift on fridays. Just one heavy set of deadlifts is all you need to keep it going up tho. Don’t over do them.

I take a nap afterwards. Doing this saturday in fact. 5x250(i think…whatever 80% of 295 is) and 5x340 deadlift. Still in volume phase of 5x5. It’d doable. I’d say it’s easier to do if you’re doing a 1x5.

Every so often I do them both the same workout, it’s rare though. I find I can usually pull better numbers after squats (I assume because I’m more warmed up/pumped up/amped up) but I’m always incredibly sore the next day. I’m unlucky in that I am sore after every workout, no matter what, lol. My job has me running around most of the day, so a sore lower back (not injured sore, but muscular soreness) and sore legs makes for a hellish work week.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
FiveFootTwo wrote:
hvywrest wrote:
What are thoughts of performing squats and deadlift in the same workout (max effort day and speed workout)

I had a professional powerlifter put me on a program where I was squatting and deadlifting on the same day. Deadlifts were 3 times a week with the very gradual increase in weight, dfiferent sets and reps, for about a month. It was brutal but really great.

Squats were always first. This was several months out from a meet. By the time I was about two months out, deadlifts went down to just once a week. (And I won the whole – my first one!)

Try it. And stretch your back well afterwards!

I wish I was a professional powerlifter.[/quote]

I thought you were.

To the OP, how heavy are you going on squats & deadlifts?

If you are trying to max on each one in a limited amount of time, good luck. I think if you’re starting out, this is doable, but once you reach a certain level, you’re going to find your CNS will burn out fairly quickly. The way my sheiko routine is set up, if (and that’s a big if) I were to squat on the dead I do a heavy deadlift, is a speed/light squat.

I think there’s more efficient ways of lifting. Maybe modified sheiko routines have squats and deadlifts on the same day, but not the original set up and there’s probably a good reason for that. You’re basically squatting twice a week, deadlifting once a week, and doing a bench movement during each day.

I can’t speak for other routines, but I do think you’ll be overloading yourself once you get to an intermediate level.

Agreed to synthetickiller

Let’s post some numbers so we can see if theres any correlation.
Maxing out on squat definitely reduces deadlift intensity afterwards but I used to do it anyways.

I probably wouldn’t go extremely hard or use a lot of volume on both lifts.

An effective combination might be to do heavy squats and then speed pulls, or heavy deadlifts and then speed squats. I’ve done this many times, with no issues.

it makes sense on paper to do your speed work before your max effort but when your doing it with alot of weight your just gonna be completly wiped.

if you think you could do max effort work after speed work and still perform as good as you would when you dont do speed work (i.e. using the same weight for maxing out) then do it!
i just no i cudnt do it.

[quote]Invictica wrote:
JPeggEFS wrote:
I did it for a long time. Guys at the gym who are still using conjugate periodization do it as well. I know theyre doing it at Lexen and Westside as well.

jason

Whoa, Jason Pegg is posting on T-Nation! SICK! You’re a beast dude (no suck up)[/quote]

is there anyone else that posts here that squats 1000?

[quote]Kerley wrote:
Invictica wrote:
JPeggEFS wrote:

jason

Whoa, Jason Pegg is posting on T-Nation! SICK! You’re a beast dude (no suck up)

is there anyone else that posts here that squats 1000? [/quote]

Wendler