Squat and Deadlift Form

I’ve been trying to incorporate deadlifts and squats (goblet squats for now due to poor flexibility). I’ve noticed I can improve my form if I curl my toes up during the movements it tends to force me back on my heels and to start the movement with my hips. Does this make sense? If so, why don’t you see this in any “how to” instruction?

Well I bet you its something that only works for you. Or at least a very small amount of people thats why you dont see it in the how to instructions. I would suggest not doing it. I would learn the right way, with you feet flat on the ground, pushing on the outside of your feet.

When you get to heavier weights you may need to revert back to “bad form” but as long as you practice it at your lower weights and try to incorporate it when your going heavy you should be good. In a few weeks/months you should really be doing the form correctly if your practicing it correctly. Good Luck.

Dan John talks about wiggling your toes when making sure you’re on your heels.

This would apply when learning a movement, you’ll still be flat footed during actual lifts.

what type of shoes do you lift in? running shoes seem to force me toward my toes. i lift in good old chuck taylor converse. they’re basically a board with laces. squats and deads require a good base. i know some guys who lift in military type boots. i wish my old boots were still wearable.

I really don’t think it matters at all.

[quote]john2009 wrote:
I’ve been trying to incorporate deadlifts and squats (goblet squats for now due to poor flexibility). I’ve noticed I can improve my form if I curl my toes up during the movements it tends to force me back on my heels and to start the movement with my hips. Does this make sense? If so, why don’t you see this in any “how to” instruction? [/quote]

I use it in my “how-to’s”:

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1808294&page=0#1808375