Squat and Deadlift Form Check

I’ve lifted on and off but never consistently until mid January. I feel like when my squat and deadlift get around 200 lbs my form gets bad, so i want to make sure I get it down before I really start adding weight.

squat 185lbs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3wtrEj1z94

DL 185 lbs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76CZbSg7txQ

From my own research and prior feedback, it looks like my squat has a buttwink that I need to work on, and my deadlift descent sucks.
Any other feedback or tips?

Posting a video of a failed or near max attempt is more useful since it’s easier to see weaknesses and errors in leverages.

If your lower back goes into flexion and mobility isn’t a problem, you may just need to learn to get in more air (as much as possible) and brace your abs harder.

It looks like you need work getting your abs and back tighter in the deadlift too. Stick your chest out more to get your upper back tight while still squeezing your lats as hard as possible. You might have to do some thoracic extension stretches before each set to get used to this. Keep your head in a neutral position. When lowering the weight, be careful not to put all the weight onto your knee caps. It looks like the bar jumps forward after sliding off your knees. The bar can touch your legs and knees but you still need to control the weight so that minimal force is applied on your knees. Work on bracing your abs and getting your entire back tight to make it easier to lower the weight.

Your squats look fine, although the weight is obviously too light to highlight latent issues. You should probably get more air at the top, get much tighter (i.e. brace very hard) and pull yourself down into the hole rather than dropping into it. Like lift206 said, a heavier set will show more flaws.

Looking at your deadlift, I would suspect with heavier weights in the squat your trunk would pitch forward quite significantly and your lower back may well round. While keeping your chest up and pulling your elbows forward throughout the movement will mitigate that to some extent, if your lower back simply isn’t strong enough to keep your trunk upright you will still come forward.

With your deadlift, lift206 is dead on again talking about leading with a high chest. Just stand up with a high chest. Imagine an orange or something in your armpits and try to crush it while bracing your midsection as hard as possible. One other thing I did notice is that you seem to accelerate more pushing your hips through rather than off the ground which is kind of the opposite to what you expect from a conventional pull.

I would hazard a guess that’s because your hams/glutes are stronger than your back so they’re better able to move the weight fast - so you are relatively slow off the floor because your back can’t move the weight so fast. Also, I wouldn’t worry about lowering the bar so slowly. As long as you don’t let go of it, just let it come down and follow it.

I would recommend supplementing your training with barbell rows, pull ups and good mornings as well as squats paused in the hole. All of those will really help your back get much stronger and should enable you to squat and deadlift larger loads.