Squat and Deadlift Form Check

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
To contribute to the “losing hamstring tension” discussion, I find that rolling the bar back toward my shins is a good way to prevent spending too much time at the bar. It doesn’t have to be exaggerated, rolling the bar several feet back (although that totally works), but even a simple 2-3" roll is enough to engage the hamstrings and aggressively start the pull. Prior to that point, I have my hands on the bar and feet where I want them, but hips are still way high.[/quote]

I’ve tried this several times, and it always messes with the feels. It worked for me once I think. I really want it to work for me though, it makes so much sense.[/quote]

Yeah, as with everything, your mileage my vary. I hear great things about pulling the slack out of the bar, but whenever I try that, I lose a ton of force. Different strokes.

Thanks for the advice. heaps of good info here. Tonight I am deadlifting, and I will try a mini roll and try to ceate more tension in my set-up. Sometimes I feel there is more tension in my quads than hamstrings in my set-up.

Bonus question: will I look stupid if I wear long socks and shin-pads while deadlifting??

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:
Bonus question: will I look stupid if I wear long socks and shin-pads while deadlifting??
[/quote]

Yup. Are you at an age where you care if you look stupid?

That said, the greater concern is that you’re going to create a lot more friction dragging the bar up all of that, which will impact the speed/smoothness of the pull, and you’re also keeping the bar further away from your body due to the increased padding, which will reduce how much you can lift.

[quote]theBird wrote:
Bonus question: will I look stupid if I wear long socks and shin-pads while deadlifting??[/quote]
Just wear long socks.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
To contribute to the “losing hamstring tension” discussion, I find that rolling the bar back toward my shins is a good way to prevent spending too much time at the bar. It doesn’t have to be exaggerated, rolling the bar several feet back (although that totally works), but even a simple 2-3" roll is enough to engage the hamstrings and aggressively start the pull. Prior to that point, I have my hands on the bar and feet where I want them, but hips are still way high.[/quote]

I prefer it this way too. I actually do a relatively exaggerated roll.

The only thing with the roll is that it makes the set-up a lot more dynamic, requiring some timing to get it right. If you’re not all that practiced with the movement, adding the roll seems to throw a lot of people off. And lots of people don’t like it to begin with. So it’s not something I generally worry about talking about at this stage.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:
Bonus question: will I look stupid if I wear long socks and shin-pads while deadlifting??[/quote]
Just wear long socks.[/quote]
Ok, thanks.

Last week I was bleeding like a bitch, and I was getting strange looks from my fellow gym goers. They usually look at me strangely anyway.

tweet

So I pulled a new PR today of 145kg x 4, focused on the setup a lot more, getting feet and hands set first, then only staying in the start position long enough to load the hamstrings and pull the slack out of the bar. It wasn’t perfect, but I definitely felt the difference, and felt the pull through the hamstrings a lot more. Still very much a work in progress, but I was pleased with how it felt.

[quote]theBird wrote:
Ok, thanks.

Last week I was bleeding like a bitch, and I was getting strange looks from my fellow gym goers. They usually look at me strangely anyway.

tweet[/quote]

Sweat pants work too, though I think mine is useless now.

But they get bloody uncomfortable.

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:
Ok, thanks.

tweet[/quote]

Sweat pants work too, though I think mine is useless now.

But they get bloody uncomfortable.[/quote]

I never understand this recommendation. I know a lot of people like to deadlift in sweatpants, but to me, they just get in the way. I don’t want anything between my leg and the bar aside from potentially a thin sock. Usually I just prefer to scrape the shit out of my legs.

I just swear my rehbands down on my shins works fine. If 7mm of soft material is the reason you’re claiming you missed a lift you should most likely look your self in the mirror and just admit you are not strong enough yet.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
I never understand this recommendation. I know a lot of people like to deadlift in sweatpants, but to me, they just get in the way. I don’t want anything between my leg and the bar aside from potentially a thin sock. Usually I just prefer to scrape the shit out of my legs.[/quote]

I think it depends on the bar.

I got along fine with deadlifting without anything in between my skin and the bar. Then the gym changed bars and I started bleeding the first time I pulled. I tried a bunch of shit and eventually just stuck with sweatpants. I’d get scraped, but no blood. And then after a while I got leathery skin there and it didn’t seem to matter.