Squat and Deadlift Form Check

Squat 160lbs x5
Deadlift 135lbs x5

Please check my forms. Thanks. First time doing Deadlift btw.

Here is another squat video.

Finally, here is my deadlift.

imo, id really focus ono breaking at the hips and consistently sitting back, your knees are shooting forward way more than youd like. and i may be nitpicking but your pelvis starts to rotate when youre reaching depth, which again is an issue because youre squatting down instead of back,

dl-i think you shouldnt round your back so much

edit: what is that horn in dl video, lol

[quote]totti13 wrote:
dl-i think you shouldnt round your back so much

edit: what is that horn in dl video, lol[/quote]

The horn is the vibrating of my phone, I use my phones video camera to record my videos :slight_smile:

I really don’t think the squat form is too bad. Your deadlift is pretty awful though. If you can’t keep your spine neutral with 135, it will be an absolute disaster when you add weight. Where in Texas do you live?

Squat 2 inches deeper. Push your ass out more, when you’re just starting to come up. Your deadlift needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. Do not round your back! Seriously, back neutral or comfortably arched. That’s the most important thing. Google “silverback gorilla” for an example. :slight_smile: Foot placement should be narrow, with just enough room for both hands between your ankles, and hands just as narrow as you can manage without pulling your knees in.

Neutral spinal position is KEY if you want to be efficient with your body. On the squat, I might be wrong, but your back looked just a little bit rounded. If you went deeper, I’m sure the rounding would be much more accentuated. On the deadlift, the rounding was quite obvious. I have this exact problem. The culprit is probably a weak core, inhibited hamstrings, and poor glute activation. You may have some anterior pelvic tilt issues as well.

If I were you, the first thing I’d do is go read every single Mike Robertson article on this site. They will help your understanding a lot. I’d probably advise against deadlifting (and maybe squatting too) until you can iron out your problems.

If you do have anterior tilt, inhibited hams, poor glute activation, and poor core stability (which you can find out by reading those Robertson articles and assessing yourself fairly), then a good way to go about your problem would be to do a lot of glute activation, single-leg work, remedial squat variations with weight in front of you so you need to stabilize with your core, and lots of core stability work in a progressive manner.

You would be wise to assess your weaknesses and create a training program that addresses them right away - if you continue to lift in that manner you will cause your body to “memorize” poor movement patterns and create muscle imbalances. This is exactly what I did, and it’s a situation you don’t want to have to fix years down the road.

Agreed with all the above.

Squat : Could be worse. Sit back more, go lower, spine neutral. Focus on hip/ ankle mobility.

Dlift : Can almost hear your discs popping out! Start with Romanian Deadlifts for training, get your mobility going! When your lower back is strong and mobile enough, you can do weighed Dlifts then. For now do them with an empty bar, checking your spine ALWAYS!

Good luck with the progression!
Thor

Do some major core work. Your back is rounding quit a bit on the deadlift. Squats, there was a little rounding but not as severe.

I would suggest core/back work:
bent over rows
Paloff presses
hanging leg raises
Read complete core training and the best of abs.

Leg/hip mobility:
Bulgarian split squats. I found that these helped with hip mobility more than anything else.