Squat and Deadlift Critique

I know some back rounding is allowable when using heavier weights, but I’m wondering if I have too much. I feel soreness in more my mid back and not my lower back, so that’s telling me those muscle are working more, however, I’d like to hear what you guys think.

Also, what are some other pointers you’d give me? Feel free to watch my other vids and critique those as well.

I’m not experienced enough yet to critique your form but LOL @ the guy in the first vid quarter squatting 25s.

[quote]JLu wrote:
I’m not experienced enough yet to critique your form but LOL @ the guy in the first vid quarter squatting 25s.[/quote]

Not everyone’s on ‘roid, bro’.

No, but when you’re as big as that guy is and you are only quarter squatting 25s it either means you’re 1) tremendously weak, or 2) extremely lazy and unwilling to put any effort into your workout.

Deadlifts: Rounding too much, almost like you are doing a stiff legged-deadlift. Need to keep your chest up, shoulders over the bar, bring your ass lower down, keep your back angle the same as you pull the bar up your shins, when you get to the knees you will begin to squeeze your glutes and push your hips forward

(like you are humping the air almost), your back and legs should almost straighten out at the same time.

Plus, why do you drop the weight? Lowering the weight properly is part of the movement.

Squats: I can’t comment on the box squats since I don’t do them much but for the regular squats they seem pretty decent, I’d try to go a tad lower though.

Back squat does need a little more depth. The pulls looked ok assuming heavy means you can’t lift it more than 3 times. There’s going to be some rounding but you seem to do it more middle than lower back which is good. And don’t lean back at lockout, just stand up straight.

The guy with the 95lb 1/4 squat is classic gym idiot. But it’s February so he’s almost done for the year anyway.

[quote]
The guy with the 95lb 1/4 squat is classic gym idiot. But it’s February so he’s almost done for the year anyway. [/quote]

Haha!

Agreed on the DL comments… try to get your hips lower… and stick your ass out more…

The box squat seemed ok… but was high… and you paused for a long time… try pausing for a 2 second count, and exploding back up…

Haha. A lot of people have commented on the guy in the backround. I want to help him out, but some people find it rude to do so.

I was thinking I should drop my hips as well too. However, there are times when my knee hurts due to having my ACL reconstructed a few years back.

For those box squats, I’m working on stopping the stretch reflex, so I tend to sit until I feel that the stretch reflex is gone.

As far as the squats, I need help getting lower. My lower back rounds if I go lower then shown. I try mobility stuff and all that, but it just doesn’t seem to work. Any tips? I stretch my hips and calves before squatting sessions btw.

[quote]DjSm28 wrote:

As far as the squats, I need help getting lower. My lower back rounds if I go lower then shown. I try mobility stuff and all that, but it just doesn’t seem to work. Any tips? I stretch my hips and calves before squatting sessions btw.[/quote]

It’s hard to tell everything from just one angle, but here are a few pointers I’ve picked up to help me it depth.

First, to help identify if it’s a mobility/flexibility issue, do some front squats. If you can go right down on the fronts, the back squat depth issue is likely more strength/technique more so than mobility/flexibility.

Some technique pointers:

1. I can’t tell where the bar sits on your back or your hand placement. but generally a higher bar placement and hands in closer help you get lower.

2. Keep your upper back tight, elbows down (as if you’re trying to rotate them forward), squeeze the bar in tight to your body.

3. The set-up. STOP FIDGETING! You can’t get your body tight if you’re moving. Staying tight will give you more control and confidence under the weight.

Also, I haven’t tried this, but you could try a shoe with a bit of a heal, some guys have noted that it helps you stay more upright (which should help you get lower). I’ll eventually try this, but I haven’t yet.

[quote]Wilba wrote:
But it’s February so he’s almost done for the year anyway.[/quote]
lol, fucking hilarious

Probably said here already, but rounding of the back. That will cause some injuries

Search youtube for RIPTOE coach deadlift

ITs a lower back, back chain excercise.

You have to keep your legs at shoulder width apart, feet mid length under the bar. Stiff legs, drop your arms down to the bar, then squat down with you head looking up, chest out, back arched and pull, snapping your hips out.

You might want to lower the weight till you get it right.

Squat looked pretty good - lower legs were vertical, good arch in the back. Head maybe looking up a bit more, but really good

[quote]DjSm28 wrote:

I know some back rounding is allowable when using heavier weights, but I’m wondering if I have too much. I feel soreness in more my mid back and not my lower back, so that’s telling me those muscle are working more, however, I’d like to hear what you guys think.

Also, what are some other pointers you’d give me? Feel free to watch my other vids and critique those as well. [/quote]

What’s up with the straps?

[quote]Erasmus wrote:
DjSm28 wrote:

Also, what are some other pointers you’d give me? Feel free to watch my other vids and critique those as well.

What’s up with the straps?[/quote]

I was talking to AJ Roberts and I told him that my grip holds back my deadlift. He said go ahead and use straps since I don’t lift to be a power lifter. I lift to get more athletic.

[quote]DjSm28 wrote:
Erasmus wrote:
DjSm28 wrote:

What’s up with the straps?

I was talking to AJ Roberts and I told him that my grip holds back my deadlift. He said go ahead and use straps since I don’t lift to be a power lifter. I lift to get more athletic. [/quote]

I agree with AJ (not that my opinion matters compared to his).

Although I generally agree with the approach of lifting without straps, I’ve been told by a few good powerlifters that you shouldn’t let grip hold back your deadlift and to use straps when needed.

The catch is to try not to rely on them. For example, go without them until in the session until you can’t hold the weight.

Yeah. That’s what I do. At about 365lbs, my grip starts to give, so that’s when I start using straps.

[quote]metamorphisis wrote:
Probably said here already, but rounding of the back. That will cause some injuries

Search youtube for RIPTOE coach deadlift

ITs a lower back, back chain excercise.

You have to keep your legs at shoulder width apart, feet mid length under the bar. Stiff legs, drop your arms down to the bar, then squat down with you head looking up, chest out, back arched and pull, snapping your hips out.

You might want to lower the weight till you get it right.

[/quote]

I disagree that feet have to be shoulder width apart. There is some room to play with the width of your stance.

[quote]JLu wrote:
I’m not experienced enough yet to critique your form but LOL @ the guy in the first vid quarter squatting 25s.[/quote]

Come on… I think he put 5s on top of the 25s on the OP’s second set. He went from quarter-squatting to power curtsying though…

Haha power curtsy.