Squat and Deadlift Critique Needed (Videos)

[quote]Krollmonster wrote:
I was surprised how fast you descended in the squat. I think you should toss those nikes and get some lifting shoes for your squatting. Nice lifts![/quote]

I couldn’t get rid of my lucky shoes. They are coming up on 5 years old and still going strong. Honestly though, I’ve tried on some Chucks and they just feel too stiff, I don’t think I would like them. I might try some wrestling shoes someday.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Nice lifts bro keep it up. Planning to compete??
[/quote]

I’ve been thinking about it for a while. One of these days I’m just going to have to do it. My squat is what is really holding me back, my bench isn’t great either, but it would probably be good enough. I am also considering strongman, as I think I would be better suited to it. I excel at speed/endurance type events.

you did misunderstand what i was trying to say, or i was phrasing it badly.

your deadlift is good, and there is nothing wrong with lifting mostly with your lower back.

but seriously man, great effort on a new max pr in the squat also, but compared to your deadlift, your squat sucks.

good luck!

i never meant for him to squat the deadlift!

Ok heres my advice with the pull…take it or leave it. I think you may want to think about changing your setup. I think this is your biggest problem. Just give this setup a try at least once and let me know what you think. When you approach the bar, the first thing you need to do is plant your heels as close to the bar as possible, so expect you shins to be on the bar. Once they are in place dont move your feet. Bend over with straight legs to set your grip. Once the grip is set, swallow some big air and drop your hips. As soon as your hips drop to the lowest point that you take them to, as well as unlocking your knees, explode back up and drag straight up. This is called the dip and rip method.

You want to take advantage of the stretch reflex by getting ready at the top and drop your hips only for a second instead of spending 10-15 seconds in the hole…you are wasting strength, air, and the stretch reflex by doing this. Now seriously i’m not running you down, I just want to make sure to get the point of an excellent setup across because from the looks of your strength, you could stay at the same exact strength level you are at now, perfect your form and pull 600 no problem. Deadlift has a lot of setup involved…Give it a try and let us know

[quote]tedro wrote:
Phill wrote:
Nice lifts bro keep it up. Planning to compete??

I’ve been thinking about it for a while. One of these days I’m just going to have to do it. My squat is what is really holding me back, my bench isn’t great either, but it would probably be good enough. I am also considering strongman, as I think I would be better suited to it. I excel at speed/endurance type events.
[/quote]Have you tried squatting wider, ala Dave Tate’s article on squatting big? Instantly knocked my squat up alot.

[quote]stallion wrote:
you did misunderstand what i was trying to say, or i was phrasing it badly.

your deadlift is good, and there is nothing wrong with lifting mostly with your lower back.

but seriously man, great effort on a new max pr in the squat also, but compared to your deadlift, your squat sucks.

good luck!

i never meant for him to squat the deadlift!
[/quote]

The thing is though that I am not lifting mostly with my lower back. My strength is off the floor and at mid shin, due to leg strength (quads and hamstrings). I have my hips fairly low for a conventional puller to take advantage of this. Watch the videos again and you’ll see that my speed off the floor carries me through the lift. When I get to the top and my back and glutes take over, I struggle. Notice how round my back is when I start to struggle. The strength is there in the glutes, but I think I am having trouble activating them, fixing this may be as simple as remembering to fire my glutes.

I think you are convusing your hip extensors with your back muscles. Your back has a fairly short range of motion and is moved primarily by your erectors. They are (or should be anyways) used mostly isometrically in the deadlift. Your glutes and hamstrings pull your pelvis (and therfore torso)up into a vertical position, this is where I am strong. When you lift with high hips (even straight legs), your glutes and hammies are still doing most of the moving, but more stress is placed on your back due to leverages. Notice that even when I fail, my pelvis is just about vertical, but it is at this point that I struggle with hip activation and back issues.

I’m not sure what you meant with your comment about my squat, I realize it is not up to par with my deadlift. I posted, however, hoping to get some constructive criticism, not just criticism.

harbinjc,
That is good advice. I have done your method with success. The reason I spend so much time in the hole is because it helps me prepare better mentally, this is something I am working on. Luckily, I am strong off the floor despite this.

[quote]t-ha wrote:
Have you tried squatting wider, ala Dave Tate’s article on squatting big? Instantly knocked my squat up alot.
[/quote]

Yes, I actually squat quite abit wider than I used to. I could probably go a little wider yet if I worked at it, but that is about as far as I can go in that particular power rack.

yes tedro, you are right - it was my mistake, i am sorry.

it was never any bad intention behind it when i told you your squat sucks. Actually both your squat and deadlift are pretty good, and i guess you are working to improve it as well! :slight_smile:

happy lifting! :slight_smile:

– stallion

I actually took your advice and tried a couple reps with lower hips, and while I don’t plan on changing my form, it did teach me a valuable lesson. I realized that I am not activating my glutes at all at the beginning of the lift, by the time they start firing it is too late. I think my biggest problem is remembering ‘knees out’. This helps me use my glutes. I also realized I need to look up from the beginning of the lift.