Squat and Deadlift Critique Needed (Videos)

I recently set some new squat and deadlift pr’s and thought I would post the videos for advice. Any intelligent comments are welcome, positive and negative.

I am actually pleased most with my squat, I have been trying for 405 for a while.

The 525 deadlift felt pretty easy, but my lockout is weak, and that is obviously what killed me on the 550. I was pretty disappointed with that lift, I let the bar get a little away from me in the beginning of the lift, that is probably the first time that has ever happened to me. I think I recovered from that but couldn’t quite lock it out.

All the videos can be found here:
http://tedroks.tripod.com/

Again, comments, advice, and critiques are all welcome!

Sorry bro something is wrong at quick time cant get the vidoe to play and its server cant fix it right now. That said congrats on the PR. On the DL’Just guessing but form the sounds of it. your rising hips to fast then the bar gets out so your need tpo fire those Hips and glute more from the start get that torse UP ass forward and not rely so much on the lower back that is your said weak point at lock out anyway.

Im guess its more a glute ham prob and if you really get that Ass forward fire the glute the back will follow suit stay arched and lock out will be easier and the bar wont tend to run on you.

Once again thats just from your description

Hope that helps,
Phill

congrats on new pr’s!

the 525 dl seemed easy. you blew it away!

on the 550 your legs straighten out to fast, and therefore the lockout gets too tough.

the 405 squat was also nice. a good effort there.

i suggest you focus on leg strength, as this is obviously something you need!

Put them on YouTube or Google Vids!!!

Do it for us Linux users… :slight_smile:

Alright, they are all on youtube now.
Squat: - YouTube
525 dl: - YouTube
550 dl: - YouTube

[quote]Phill wrote:
Sorry bro something is wrong at quick time cant get the vidoe to play and its server cant fix it right now. That said congrats on the PR. On the DL’Just guessing but form the sounds of it. your rising hips to fast then the bar gets out so your need tpo fire those Hips and glute more from the start get that torse UP ass forward and not rely so much on the lower back that is your said weak point at lock out anyway.

Im guess its more a glute ham prob and if you really get that Ass forward fire the glute the back will follow suit stay arched and lock out will be easier and the bar wont tend to run on you.

Once again thats just from your description

Hope that helps,
Phill[/quote]

Could you look at the videos now? I think your diagnosis is close. My shoulders are rising much faster than my hips, but I think I might have some glute activation problems and probably a weak lower back (maybe a weak upper back, too?)

[quote]stallion wrote:
congrats on new pr’s!

on the 550 your legs straighten out to fast, and therefore the lockout gets too tough.

i suggest you focus on leg strength, as this is obviously something you need![/quote]

Hey, thanks. Actually, I think my legs are my strength, judging by my speed off the floor. I am guessing the problem is in the glutes/back.

Since i’m 56k, I can’t watch the vids. But from what you’re saying, I hate you. I hate you and your damn 405lbs squat and your 550lbs Deadlift. You bastard.

Anyway, Good job on the lifts…asshole.

[quote]tedro wrote:
stallion wrote:
congrats on new pr’s!

i suggest you focus on leg strength, as this is obviously something you need!

Hey, thanks. Actually, I think my legs are my strength, judging by my speed off the floor. I am guessing the problem is in the glutes/back.[/quote]

Dunno about that, man. It looks like to me your lower back is doing most of the work and your not getting much hip motion near lockout. I mean obviously it’s working well for you, but it looks like to me your ass is too high on your set up to get much glute/hamstring drive off the floor. If I were you I’d try speed deadlifts while actively trying to push your hips forward and keeping your butt low when you take the weight off the floor. Train some heavy rack pulls for lower back if you want. The added glute/hip strength you’ll probably get from the speed DLs will help you nail 550 easily in a few weeks.
My 2c

Looks fine, but you might want to actively push your hips through at lockout. Everything rose fine, I have no idea why everyone thinks you have to squat deadlifts up.

Why is the guy in the background saying “easy easy”?

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
Looks fine, but you might want to actively push your hips through at lockout. Everything rose fine, I have no idea why everyone thinks you have to squat deadlifts up.

Why is the guy in the background saying “easy easy”?[/quote]

That is easier said than done :). Seriously though, that is something I am really going to concentrate on for the next few weeks or more.

I completely agree with you on the squatting deadlifts thing. Mike Robertson also talks about this in his Precision Pulling article.

Excellent effort. You had lots of speed which is good to see.

DL (minor suggestions): From what I could tell your knees were “inside” of your feet instead of over your feet. Moving your foot spacing inwards for your DL will allow your knees to track over your feet. This will put your hip joint in the correct position to create much more power.

Also, it appears that your hips aren’t able to impart the full force into the movement as strongly as they could. Instead your back rounds :frowning: Practice squatting/deadlifting with a rigid/straight/locked spine and only count the reps that maintain that integrity. Raising your standards will raise your performance.

You look like you have the capacity for some fierce work. Good to see some serious lifters around here.

D

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:

Why is the guy in the background saying “easy easy”?[/quote]

I dunno about everyone else, but I wasn’t suggesting that he “squat his deadlifts.” I was saying that working on speed deadlifts with his ass low and concentrating on pushing his hips through will assist his speed off of the floor and his hip drive when he goes for maximal lifts. Feel free to disagree with me, but I definitely wasn’t telling him to squat his deadlifts.

You could have locked that 550 out if you hitched it. But that’s just my opinion because I train for strongman. Heh.

I agree with DemiAjax in that if your butt was lower at the start of the pull, you probably wouldn’t use as much lower back thus, you’d be stronger at lockout. 550# is just around the corner. Squat was parallel and fast so you were definitely good for more. Congrats on the new pr’s!

Yup I agree hip AND IMO glute strength or simply that you rent activating them. Had/have the same prob I am working on. Really SQUEEZE\those ass cheeks together, activate the this will thrust the hips forward and take some of the weight off your lower back making it even easier as right now your using mostly Low back

Squat looked good. I think if powerlifting is your goal learn to carry the bar lower. down on the shelf of your lats. Your carying it high bar which is great to use to get back strenght more quad etc. Keep yopu from folding over but moving it back will change the center of gravity you’ll get more hip and glute in there and I bet you’ll nail new PR rather quick after learning it.

Yup just watched the failed one again. And the camera guy has it right. "shoot those hip forward. get that ass/hips moving forward, drive it home like your with your girl. That back will follow suit. and the load wil raise.

Oh it might be stated not sure but what weight are you?? About 200-220??

Just my 2cc nice work
Phill

Oh and I agree with a few of the above, I think the set up and attempt if fine that you dont need to try and squat the DL think its more of the activation/form execution. do some pull and learn to get the glute and hip drive.

I’m 5’10" and weighed in at 201 that day. About 205 right now.

I am going to do some speed deadliftsthis afternoon. I think I will try them with a narrower stance to see if that helps with glute activation. I think the glute strength is there, but I obviously have an activation problem.

I really don’t see what good lowering my hips is going to do, besides losing speed off the floor. I already have lower hips than most (good) conventional pullers.

[quote]tedro wrote:
I’m 5’10" and weighed in at 201 that day. About 205 right now.

I am going to do some speed deadliftsthis afternoon. I think I will try them with a narrower stance to see if that helps with glute activation. I think the glute strength is there, but I obviously have an activation problem.

I really don’t see what good lowering my hips is going to do, besides losing speed off the floor. I already have lower hips than most (good) conventional pullers.[/quote]

Hey I had the right ball park for the BW if you held a shoe Id have nailed the BF% as well.

Nice lifts bro keep it up. Planning to compete??

I agree with the last statemenbt but still think getting the hips and glutes to better fire will help.

I was surprised how fast you descended in the squat. I think you should toss those nikes and get some lifting shoes for your squatting. Nice lifts!