T Nation

Squat And Deadlift @ 50Kg

Hi all,

I’m a few weeks in on the SL’s program. I’ve linked to a couple of videos (squats and deadlifts) and would love any form advice people can give me.

Squat
http://youtu.be/vzQseaE5HHo[/media]

Deadlift
http://youtu.be/fl7K4XGuHak[/media]

The last few reps on the deadlift my form goes a bit haywire (spine rounds away from neutral) but I don’t think this will be a problem between a bit more discipline and when I move to the larger sized plates.

Any advice would be great. I’ll probably end up posting other videos to check form of the other lifts in the program.

Thanks in advance for any help,
asdfyuiop

Squat at that weight looks pretty good great depth.

Deadlift keep that bar closer to you and push through your heels from the get go. First thing you do is raise your hips then you bring your lower back and hams into. Keep the hips down and explode. Thinking of it as Squat with the bar in your hands.

Deep squats. If your goal is maximal weight, you might want to turn your toes out a bit and slightly widen your stance. Looks like you have the mobility to do it.

Regarding the deadlift, the biggest thing I noticed is that you don’t bring your hips through. DL is essentially a hip thrust for me once the bar passes my knees.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Thinking of it as Squat with the bar in your hands.[/quote]
Definitely not how I think of a DL. Different strokes, I guess.

Thanks for the tips! I’ll work on creating a wider more open squatting stance. I’ll also work on hip drive in my deadlifting.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
Deep squats. If your goal is maximal weight, you might want to turn your toes out a bit and slightly widen your stance. Looks like you have the mobility to do it.

Regarding the deadlift, the biggest thing I noticed is that you don’t bring your hips through. DL is essentially a hip thrust for me once the bar passes my knees.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Thinking of it as Squat with the bar in your hands.[/quote]
Definitely not how I think of a DL. Different strokes, I guess.[/quote]

I don’t know why but, once I was told to do that I had a much better time breaking off the ground and as soon as I pass my knee its nothing but a glute and hip thrust to lockout.