T Nation

Squat? 90 or More?

Can someone explain to me how far you are supposed to go down on a squat. I Have had 2 knee surgeries over the past 10 years, both sport related, not from lifting tho.

It just seems like Squats, if talking with a powerlifter, are all for deep, low, ass on the ground squats. I’ve done them, they are a motherfucker but dont hurt my knees. Then I’ll read Magazines and talk with other more lean atheletes, stress never below 90, Cause it destroys the joint.

I’ve done these, I dont like them and they also dont hurt my knees. I personally feel this gives you a “power range” that I may do 6-8 reps with 450lbs, but if i go outside the range that i have been doing for the past 3 - 4 months it drives the intensity up quick at what i feel is a greater risk of dumping the weight or tearing the muscle.

Can anyone tell me which is better for the joint or if they are the same. Granted i know weight plays a part, but from what i am understanding in these topics are just the actual greater than 90 degree movement damages the knee. Wondering if this is just BS from people that dont like the nice burn you get in the thighs, and hams from going deep OR this is an actual medical issue. I would like to be able to put this squatting myth to a rest.

As long as you’re starting the movement by sitting back with your hips and not going forward with your knees, you should be ok no matter how low you go.

[quote]esp7781 wrote:
It just seems like Squats, if talking with a powerlifter, are all for deep, low, ass on the ground squats. I’ve done them, they are a motherfucker but dont hurt my knees. Then I’ll read Magazines and talk with other more lean atheletes, stress never below 90, Cause it destroys the joint.

I’ve done these, I dont like them and they also dont hurt my knees…

Can anyone tell me which is better for the joint or if they are the same. Granted i know weight plays a part, but from what i am understanding in these topics are just the actual greater than 90 degree movement damages the knee. Wondering if this is just BS from people that dont like the nice burn you get in the thighs, and hams from going deep OR this is an actual medical issue. I would like to be able to put this squatting myth to a rest.

[/quote]

Because of your past history it will be delicate for someone here to give you a very informed opinion. Also the fact that this is one hot debate. Both sides have pros and cons.

I personally prefer ATG squats. Mainly because It does not bother my lower back or knees as much. I do have normal flexibility and can squat with a broomstick without my lower back rounding or my heels rising. I did train a long time to achieve this.