T Nation

Sprints for Football

For the last year or so I have been kinda sorta slacking on my speed work. Now that I am trying to play collegiate football I need to drop my 40 and 100 yd dash times a few hundredths and I am not quite sure exactly how to program a sprint routine or anything of that sort. I have been working quite a bit as of late on my starts off the line and transitions from jogging to sprinting (sprint 40, slow jog 20, sprint 40). Any suggestions on how to go about getting quicker?

You could check out Tom Shaw’s site, nike sparq stuff there.

Also Stack magazine online has a lot of useful articles about pro and collegiate training.

Good Luck!

Increase hammy/posterior chain strength. Hypertrophy the hamstrings. Weighted sprints.

I’d check out Alex Maroko’s “Destroy the 40-Yard dash” program. He and Kelly Baggett of the Vertical Jump Bible worked together for a previous program called “The Truth About Quickness” that worked well for me.

http://destroythe40yarddash.com/

I can’t vouch for the “40-Yard Dash” results, but I know I experienced a decent increase in foot speed and agility following the ‘Truth About Quickness’ program. Typically I’m skeptical of ANY programs that tout huge gains, but the programming looks pretty sound.

Barry

To be honest a coach is best for this, track/sprinting coaches, and there are specific drill coaches that prepare you for the tests like 40 etc…
There are lots of articles out there though if that’s all you can do.

But really, if fundamental football is your strength, 40 times don’t matter as much until you hit the draft.

1. Get stronger in bilateral and unilateral movements (squat, deadlift, and lunge variations).

2. Improve rate of force development via jump training, speed squats, and O lift variations.

3. Jump rope to improve foot quickness.

4. Run hills for speed endurance. Work to be able to go 10 sec at full speed with 30 sec rest for 10 min.

5. Don’t worry about your 40 time unless you’re going to get drafted. The only thing that matters to a coach is what you do between the white lines. Spending time practicing for it is not worth the time in my opinion.

[quote]cousin_barry wrote:
I’d check out Alex Maroko’s “Destroy the 40-Yard dash” program. He and Kelly Baggett of the Vertical Jump Bible worked together for a previous program called “The Truth About Quickness” that worked well for me.

http://destroythe40yarddash.com/

I can’t vouch for the “40-Yard Dash” results, but I know I experienced a decent increase in foot speed and agility following the ‘Truth About Quickness’ program. Typically I’m skeptical of ANY programs that tout huge gains, but the programming looks pretty sound.

Barry

[/quote]
I like how this is laid out. Thank you sir!

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

1. Get stronger in bilateral and unilateral movements (squat, deadlift, and lunge variations).[/quote]
    I’ve been working real hard at getting stronger at all my movements and really focusing on my posterior chain these last couple weeks.

[quote]
2) Improve rate of force development via jump training, speed squats, and O lift variations.

1. Jump rope to improve foot quickness.
    [/quote] Jump training? Like plyos and whatnot?
    I’ve been working the ropes for the last couple months and I have noticed a HUGE increase in my footspeed. I love the heck out of it.

[quote]
4) Run hills for speed endurance. Work to be able to go 10 sec at full speed with 30 sec rest for 10 min.
[/quote] That is one great thing about living in a super hilly town. Countless hills to run up.

[quote]
5) Don’t worry about your 40 time unless you’re going to get drafted. The only thing that matters to a coach is what you do between the white lines. Spending time practicing for it is not worth the time in my opinion.[/quote]
I think it is very safe to say that I will not get drafted. I need to get my 40 and 100 up because that is one of the things the coaches are gonna have me testing during my try outs. I’ve been working quite a bit on getting to a full sprint from somewhat awkward positions (from my back, stomach, my stance)

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

1. Get stronger in bilateral and unilateral movements (squat, deadlift, and lunge variations).

2. Improve rate of force development via jump training, speed squats, and O lift variations.

3. Jump rope to improve foot quickness.

4. Run hills for speed endurance. Work to be able to go 10 sec at full speed with 30 sec rest for 10 min.

5. Don’t worry about your 40 time unless you’re going to get drafted. The only thing that matters to a coach is what you do between the white lines. Spending time practicing for it is not worth the time in my opinion.[/quote]

This is fantastic advice.

Whats wrong with the Football program this CT posted ?

he even layed out a sample sprinting program too… but he isnt a speed expert so you could use the one from WS4SB or something if you dont believe him ?!