Sprints and Keto

thibs i know how powerful sprints and intervals are but I’m wondering your thoughts on their use during keto or very low carb cutting diets. my understanding is they rely heavily on glycogen and therefor may have diminishing returns when used during periods of low carbs.
another feeling is that if training say 6 days per week with weights that sprint and interval sessions may cause more overload and too much stress for the body

I had a friend, a very high level athlete, who wanted to transfer to sprinting and his coach put his on a keto diet. He lost TONS of muscle and had the mood of a serial killer.

Can it help you lose more fat? Sure… but the cost is more muscle loss, lower energy and bad performance.

At least get in carbs in your peri-workout to fuel the workouts

I agree with Thibs… you can still go on a keto diet if you want, but in that case it would have to be a Targeted Ketogenic Diet (TKD), where you take 25-50g high GI carbs during peri-workout. Something like 2 scoops of Anaconda would fit the bill, and then all of your other meals would be ultra low-carb.

Just a thought, but why not go on full dose Indigo & build muscle & lose fat & increase performance at the same time.

[quote]sput79 wrote:
Just a thought, but why not go on full dose Indigo & build muscle & lose fat & increase performance at the same time.[/quote]

as I’m in the process of dieting for a show, fat loss works better for me without carbs, transitioned from 250g carbs to 0 carbs over the past 16 weeks