T Nation

Sprinting for Development & Speed

I just started westside for skinny bastards and want to put in a second lower body day. DeFranco has a section on sprinting and it looks like this:

1. 10 yard sprints (10 sprints 1 minute rest between sets)
  2. 20 yard sprints (6 sprints 2 minutes rest between sets)
  3. 40 yard sprints (4 sprints 4 minutes rest between sets)

Im probably going to look like an idiot here, but does he mean pick either 1,2, or 3; or does he mean do all of them?

This is only going to be done once a week. Do you think it will cut into my mass gains? I’m asking this because Im 6’1"-6"2 at 145lbs so gaining weight is my biggest goal now.

I’m not that familiar with the westside for skinny bastards routine but I would imagine the session would consist of all three. If you’re worried about bulking, just up your calories.

It’s probably going to be just one. If you’ve never sprinted all-out before, let me just tell you, you’re not going to feel like doing 20 sprints in one session, no matter how brief they may be.

Sprinting, so far from interfering with mass gains, will actually potentiate them. Sprinting is an extremely fast-twitch activity by nature, and will stimulate IIBs like nothing else. Now, I’m not saying that sprinting will make you huge, but they can increase relative proportions of IIB fibers, which have the greatest strength and growth potential.

Before you go, know that sprinting is one of the most physically taxing activities you can perform. Don’t take this as an insult, but be sure you’re ready to sprint. Always perform a thorough dynamic warmup and run some light sprints before you get into the work sets. If you have any previous injuries, make sure they will not interfere with your performance. Forces encountered during sprinting can approach 5x bodyweight, and this all on one leg. If you haven’t done it before, you will be sore the first few times, particularly in the shins. Don’t be ashamed if you need to take a few sessions and build up before you go all out.

Good advice from rmccart1.

Wouldn’t be a bad idea to include a couple light (NOT ALL-OUT) sprints into your warmups for a couple weeks.

At your size, sprints will help you gain mass if you eat.

How old are you? And what are your times.

at 145lbs a 10 yard sprint is easy as hell, and you should be able to recover quick. That might be 5 steps, if that depending on leg strength.

And if your 145 lbs at 6’2 your weight has nothing to do with working out but how much you eat.

Just keep the sprints to once a week (for now, anyway) and you’ll be fine.

[quote]rmccart1 wrote:
It’s probably going to be just one. If you’ve never sprinted all-out before, let me just tell you, you’re not going to feel like doing 20 sprints in one session, no matter how brief they may be.

Sprinting, so far from interfering with mass gains, will actually potentiate them. Sprinting is an extremely fast-twitch activity by nature, and will stimulate IIBs like nothing else. Now, I’m not saying that sprinting will make you huge, but they can increase relative proportions of IIB fibers, which have the greatest strength and growth potential.

Before you go, know that sprinting is one of the most physically taxing activities you can perform. Don’t take this as an insult, but be sure you’re ready to sprint. Always perform a thorough dynamic warmup and run some light sprints before you get into the work sets. If you have any previous injuries, make sure they will not interfere with your performance. Forces encountered during sprinting can approach 5x bodyweight, and this all on one leg. If you haven’t done it before, you will be sore the first few times, particularly in the shins. Don’t be ashamed if you need to take a few sessions and build up before you go all out.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. Yea I Kind of figured 1,2, and 3 seemed like a a lot; but each single one seemed like too little.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
How old are you? And what are your times.

at 145lbs a 10 yard sprint is easy as hell, and you should be able to recover quick. That might be 5 steps, if that depending on leg strength.

And if your 145 lbs at 6’2 your weight has nothing to do with working out but how much you eat.[/quote]

I’m 17, and yea… the 10 yard would be nothing, doubt I’d even have to take 5 steps.

No Idea what my times are, but anyone who’s seen me run all out says I’m fast as hell ( who wouldn’t be at my height and weight ). How could I go about timing myself? A digital stop watch seems like a good idea but… if someone else is holding it they are bound to be off by a second… actually considering Im going to be sprinting on in boots through snow I’m not overly concerned about the time LOL.

Yea I know I got to eat more… It’s funny I use to think I ate like a demon, but now that I’ve actually started counting calories (roughly) I’m realizing I was way over-estimating what I was eating.

I know the workout you’re talking about, and if im not mistaken you do all 3 after the dynamic warmup he suggests

It may look like a lot but its not at all, it adds up to 380 total yards with a lot of rest in between. That’s less than one lap around the track.

You shouldn’t go any more than 300 yards, for the most part, in any sprinting workout.

Typically, DeFranco uses the 10-yard sprints to work on starting form for the forty yard dash. They’re more for technique than anything else. That leaves 280 yards of sprinting

Even if you were to do 20 sprints a week, it would not affect your ability to put on weight.

I’ve easily put on 4lbs a month while biking 4-6 hours a week.

I’m your same height and back in hs a 5-6 years ago, I was 165lbs. I saw some pictures of myself bike racing back then… I can’t imagine being 145 at that height, wow. I was toothpick!

You need to eat!!