T Nation

Sprinter Trying to Get It Right

Hello,
Im a sprinter I need some help translating my strength work into the track. This off season ive done lots of lifting and I want to make sure that I am able to apply the gains ive made in the weight room to the track. I am a 10.90 sprinter and I really would like to try to dip into the 10.60-10.50 area and possibly lower.

Now the problem ive been having is people tell me what to do,but they arent very specific and everyone doesnt need the same thing.And the only way I understand things is if they are very specific so I understand what I am doing and why Im doing it. And I know for a fact that what I need help with is with my starts. But over all I just want to be faster when I transfer colleges in the spring of 2007.All help is appreciated.Thank you.

I think if you have been lifting consistently and smart in the gym for the last few months then your starts will improve on their own without any technical work to improve them.

One thing that I found when I was sprinting is when I watched a tape of myself running (position camera in front of you, where you’re running to) that I learned a lot about my technique that I could fix with simple mental cues.

Like I said, if you’ve been lifting, and the main thing you want to improve is your starts then I think you just need to go do a start to see how much its improved. You might be surprised.

www.charliefrancis.com

you’ll benefit a ton from everything on his site, especially his forums. I’d rather you listen to advice from there than here

[quote]PureBreeze wrote:
Hello,
Im a sprinter I need some help translating my strength work into the track. This off season ive done lots of lifting and I want to make sure that I am able to apply the gains ive made in the weight room to the track. I am a 10.90 sprinter and I really would like to try to dip into the 10.60-10.50 area and possibly lower.

Now the problem ive been having is people tell me what to do,but they arent very specific and everyone doesnt need the same thing.And the only way I understand things is if they are very specific so I understand what I am doing and why Im doing it. And I know for a fact that what I need help with is with my starts. But over all I just want to be faster when I transfer colleges in the spring of 2007.All help is appreciated.Thank you.[/quote]

i agree with some of the other posts, you should really get some pics and better yet, video of your starts. i would do some block starts and start with a shot distance, maybe 10 meters and work on perfecting your technique to 10 meters. when that is good, move the distance out. any pics or video you could post would be much easier to help you out. good luck and keep up the hard work, it will pay off!
AC

if you go to charliefranics.com its to vague and they can be too technical with the talk which makes it hard to understand things and I really dont want to read a dictionary to get better haahaha.Nothing against the site because it has great minds. I just want something I can understand. Like what reps and what distances to run,when to rest myself from sprinting,when to do plyometrics and which ones…Stuff like that,but they make you go to search engine for everything and you only get whats recent.

elitetrack.com seems to be more user friendly and easier to understand. also, mike, the site moderator is great at answering questions.
SQUAT

[quote]PureBreeze wrote:
if you go to charliefranics.com its to vague and they can be too technical with the talk which makes it hard to understand things and I really dont want to read a dictionary to get better haahaha.Nothing against the site because it has great minds. I just want something I can understand. Like what reps and what distances to run,when to rest myself from sprinting,when to do plyometrics and which ones…Stuff like that,but they make you go to search engine for everything and you only get whats recent.[/quote]

The main thing is that they can’t tell you how many reps you need without being your coach for years and knowing what you react well too and such. With the times you’re posting, it might be to your advantage to buy a couple of the videos there and especially start off with charlie francis training for speed. On the other hand I understand if you’re strapped for cash or whatever, it’s just how much and how badly you want to improve. Good luck with what you choose.

Pure Breeze, I think it’s important not to get too lost in all the fine little details that MIGHT help your sprinting a little. Instead, focus your efforts on what seems to be the your biggest weakness/deficiency.

For instance, so many sprinters are caught up with having a great start when what they maybe need is just to be in better shape. Maybe more 150’s, 250’s or 300’s with full recovery will actually be more beneficial for improving one’s overall sprint performance while still working on start characteristics in some way.
Also, flexibility is a concern as many males sprinters are quite deficient in mobility around the ankles and hips. Since the hips are where most of the forces are generated it makes sense that any limitation there can impede sprint performance.

Do you know what the splits are in your race from?:
A. Gun/Reaction to 30 meters (Drive/acceleration Phase)
B. Maximal Speed Phase- 30 to 70 meters
C. Finish/Speed Endurance-70-finish line.

With this info you can pinpoint what sections of the race need the most improvement.