T Nation

Sprint Triathalon Training

I was wondering if someone could help me incorporate weight training and training for a sprint triathalon. As of right now, I am not doing any training for the tri, but I am doing the meltdown/death circuit featured in issue #6. I was thinking of using this type of program 3 days a week, swimming 3 times a week and running/biking 2 times a week. If anyone out there has any advice or if you know of a better way to incorporate the two, please let me know.

Thanks!

When I was training for a tri (olympic distance) a year ago, I did best lifting Monday and Friday (chest/should/tri and then Back and Bi’s, with abs both days) and then spending the remaining days (five of them) doing tri training. I ran tues/wed/thurs/Sunday and on wed I would swim as well and thursday would be a “brick” workout where you run/bike or bike/run. Everyone has different theories, but for me, I got most of my endurance from the running, and really focused on this as my primary sport. I didn’t do endurance on the lifting days and felt this was the best way to go about it…just get a HUGE protein/carb shake after the lifting. I tended to stay away from leg lifting then because I was recovering from an overuse injury and just couldn’t add in the extra load on my legs without pain. Now, however–I’m pretty much just running 5-10k’s and haven’t done much training for tris—and am lifting legs with much benefit.

Let me know what you think.

I’d recommend going to the Tri-Newbies Online site (http://www.trinewbies.com/) for some tri training programs based on event distance. What you have to ask yourself is this – which is your real goal? Body mass or triathlon success? Realize that the two pursuits are going to be at odds with each other. Also, how do you plan on finishing? Do you have a goal time in mind, or are you looking to finish the distance? These answers will have a big effect on the volume and type of training you need to do. Post those answers and I can help you more.