T Nation

Sprint Training

Hey T-Girls-&-Boys. Damn, it’s been ages since I posted here… anyway. Just started sprint training, it’s the next day from my first sprint ‘workout’ and my body is TOTALLY massacred! Legs mainly, and strangely enough parts of my back and my biceps (although I figured the last out). My point, it’s probably a good change for those of you looking for something different. I really don’t care how fast I can run, I’m just looking for something new to shock the system. I’m liking it so far! Anyone else experimented with sprint training? Cheers, Mark-AUS

I did some sprint weight training and sprint running for pre-season footy this season. It worked really well, I certainly notice a different in my sprinting times.

Did you notice any change in body composition? I’m changing things around a little to get some ‘decent’ abs back again, so we’ll see how it goes.

Yeah definitely, amer. football in high school and now rugby in college, sprints are a must! Plus, I prefer them to aerobic conditioning for a variety of reasons: more time efficient, increases muscle mass, and it makes me faster!! Don Alessi talks about interval training in his meltdown article, interesting points he makes, check it out if you haven’t seen it before. Good luck with the sprinting.

I think the program is great, and I did notice some physique improvements from it also. That is, until I jacked my knee up doing sprints. If I were you, I would do a very thorough stretching program, by all means ease into it. If you haven’t run in a while, try jogging for a week or two before you all out take off and sprint. I think that was one reason I hurt my knee. Another would be to go to a real running store (not Foot Locker), and get someone who knows what they’re doing to measure your foot, and find the right shoe for your feet type and running style. I would say that was probably reason #2 I hurt my knee. Reading all this, I’m kind of motivated to follow my own advice and try running again now that my knee’s better- Thanks Mark!!

Hey fellas. Must’ve missed the article, I don’t get to read T-Mag as often as I’d like anymore… but I got the sprint idea from here… http://www.testosterone.net/html/1550yar.html
Fairly basic, but it’s putting me through my paces.