Sprint Training

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
I’m trying to add sprints into my week, just started doing them last week.

How do you fit them in around your weight training? I can’t see doing a heavy lower body workout the day before or the day after sprinting.[/quote]

How is your weight program currently set up?

How do you fit them in around your weight training? I can’t see doing a heavy lower body workout the day before or the day after sprinting.[/quote]

I do them a few hours after my weight workout. I typically take a late lunch at work where I’ll go to the gym, come back to work for a few more hours and then do my sprints after work. I typically do my sprints on my upper body or off days, but I won’t do a sprint workout the day before a leg day. I will however, do a sprint workout the day after a leg day. The only issue I’ll have when I do them after a leg day is that I’ll be sore, but normally I’m good after my warmup.

From the suggestions in this thread, my Tuesday sprint day is now a day where I do shorter sprints. Yesterday was quads and calves, today was back and bis. I just got back from doing them and I have to say that I think that worked out a lot better for me.

Saturday is an off day, so I’ll likely be doing my speed endurance day then from now on. I’d like to add maybe a third workout, but I’m trying to figure out a good day to do it.

[quote]heardy10 wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:

How do you fit them in around your weight training? I can’t see doing a heavy lower body workout the day before or the day after sprinting.

How is your weight program currently set up? [/quote]

My weight program is currently extremely limited by my lack of equipment. I Military Press, Front Squat, Deadlift, and do Pullups, and a few variations of those lifts. I was doing full body workouts three times a week, but I’ve tried sprinting in the past and when I did it immediately, or even the day after Squatting or Deadlifting, my joints felt really banged up, especially my knees.

For the past two weeks I’ve done one lower body day, two upper body days, and two sprinting days. I’d like to add more work, do at least 2 upper body sessions, 2 lower body sessions, and 2 sprinting sessions. Just not sure how to juggle it all.

Lucky you aren’t on our football team. We do heavy squats, cleans, and other unilateral leg movements every other day, then we go and do some Speed, Agility, and Quickness training. Basically, it’s ladder and hurdle (6 or 12 inch) work followed by sprints.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:

How do you fit them in around your weight training? I can’t see doing a heavy lower body workout the day before or the day after sprinting.

Lucky you aren’t on our football team. We do heavy squats, cleans, and other unilateral leg movements every other day, then we go and do some Speed, Agility, and Quickness training. Basically, it’s ladder and hurdle (6 or 12 inch) work followed by sprints.[/quote]

I hope after a few months my joints will get accustomed to it and I’ll be able to train like you cats.

ukrainian wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:

Lucky you aren’t on our football team. We do heavy squats, cleans, and other unilateral leg movements every other day, then we go and do some Speed, Agility, and Quickness training. Basically, it’s ladder and hurdle (6 or 12 inch) work followed by sprints.

I hope after a few months my joints will get accustomed to it and I’ll be able to train like you cats.[/quote]

There was definitely a break in period for me. When I first started doing them, I’d get incredibly sore for the next day or two. Sometimes my shins would ache afterwards. However, this all got better the more I did them.

you guys should add Band sprint + Sled pulls…
my acceleration jump about 10% within a month…

[quote]weib wrote:
my acceleration jump about 10% within a month…[/quote]

I call bullshit, unless you were ridiculously out of shape and slow to begin with.

heardy10 wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:

How is your weight program currently set up?

My weight program is currently extremely limited by my lack of equipment. I Military Press, Front Squat, Deadlift, and do Pullups, and a few variations of those lifts. I was doing full body workouts three times a week, but I’ve tried sprinting in the past and when I did it immediately, or even the day after Squatting or Deadlifting, my joints felt really banged up, especially my knees.

For the past two weeks I’ve done one lower body day, two upper body days, and two sprinting days. I’d like to add more work, do at least 2 upper body sessions, 2 lower body sessions, and 2 sprinting sessions. Just not sure how to juggle it all.[/quote]

Just set it up so that you have two days where you sprint first and then do your lower body work after. It’s actually easier to recover from if you do it this way rather than spreading the work out over 4 days (ie 2 sprint days separate from your lower body days).

Keep the volume of sprints low at first.

I agree with Gonzalez: consolidate CNS-instensive stressors and do the sprints first.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
I wanted to get everyone’s thoughts on Sprint training. I’ve been doing sprints for a while now. I’m finally at the point where I’m starting to really enjoy it, so I’m getting a little more serious about it.

Currently I sprint every Tuesday and Saturday, but I was thinking of bumping that up to three days a week. I typically do anywhere between 8-12 100m sprints. Where I live can be pretty windy, so what I do is sprint into the wind, walk back, and repeat until I’m tired. I’m wondering if I should be doing more sprints, longer sprints, etc. Any suggestions would be helpful.

What are your thoughts/recommendations about footwear? Until recently, I’d just been running in Nike Free’s, but I was able to find a few pairs of track shoes on clearance recently and tried them out for the first time over the weekend. I was amazed at the difference they made, but now I’m wondering if I should use them all the time, or if I use them in a progression. Is their a ‘trainer’ shoe I should be using? The two pairs I currently have are a Nike Zoom Rival S IV and a Nike Zoom Rival MD III. The Rival MD III came with a set of spikes, but the Rival S IV didn’t come with anything.

Also, what is everyone’s recommendation for using spikes? Good or bad? I run on a loose dirt track (it’s kind of a dirt/gravel mix).

I appreciate any suggestions or comments you have.[/quote]

I wouldnt do 3 days a week for sprinting. Its about quality not quanity.

If you want to add another day try doing some 400’s at like 70percent speed. Good for conditioning.

Also the racing flats, waffles, track spikes whatever you want to call them are good but I would only use them while sprinting and maybe only for one of the workouts each week. The good thing with them is they give you better foot action. On the other hand they wear out fast and lack support and if you use them too much you get used to them and loose some of the intial speed boost.

Add some reaction drills and form work if you wants some variety or to add another day without exhausting yourself.
Good Luck

[quote]Regular Gonzalez wrote:
weib wrote:

I call bullshit, unless you were ridiculously out of shape and slow to begin with. [/quote]

I’m no elite sprinter…I was reading mike boyle’s article and i tried it.
It works… have you tried it to being with?

Taking your 40yd dash from 5.0 seconds down to 4.5 is a ten percent improvement.

Are you seriously claiming that you made those sort of gains in one month?

What distance was it?
What was your time before and after?
What method of timing did you use?

[quote]Regular Gonzalez wrote:
A ten percent improvement would be equivalent to taking your 40yd dash from 5.0 seconds down to 4.5.

Are you seriously claiming that you made those sort of gains in one month?

What distance was it?
What was your time before and after?
What method of timing did you use?
[/quote]

I’d also like to know how long you had been running before starting this program?

Granted I could probably see a 10% increase over the course of a month, following a couple month layoff. I’d still be slower then I am at the end of a track season though.

[quote]weib wrote:
Regular Gonzalez wrote:
weib wrote:

I call bullshit, unless you were ridiculously out of shape and slow to begin with.

I’m no elite sprinter…I was reading mike boyle’s article and i tried it.
It works… have you tried it to being with?[/quote]

A lot of us don’t have access to sleds or band sprinting, so it’s not an option for something to try.

You can actually get a somewhat similar effect just by doing your sprints uphill or downhill.

[quote]p-dubs wrote:
You can actually get a somewhat similar effect just by doing your sprints uphill or downhill.[/quote]

Well that I can do. I have access to many, many hills in my area.

No doubt. The best advice I’ve come across (from an article here, I’m sure) is to train legs on the SAME day as sprints. Obviously the sprinting would happen first (too much of an injury risk to sprint after lifting) and the lifting session won’t approach the volume of a dedicated leg day, but I’ve found this to be a great way to “fit” regular sprinting into the schedule.

[quote]p-dubs wrote:
You can actually get a somewhat similar effect just by doing your sprints uphill or downhill.[/quote]

Be careful with this. Uphill is amazing and will absolutely hit those posterior chain muscles hard; but downhill is almost all quads, and that just doesn’t make for “correct” sprinting at all.

[quote]bostonbigticket wrote:
What are your thoughts/recommendations about footwear? Until recently, I’d just been running in Nike Free’s, but I was able to find a few pairs of track shoes on clearance recently and tried them out for the first time over the weekend. I was amazed at the difference they made, but now I’m wondering if I should use them all the time, or if I use them in a progression. Is their a ‘trainer’ shoe I should be using? The two pairs I currently have are a Nike Zoom Rival S IV and a Nike Zoom Rival MD III. The Rival MD III came with a set of spikes, but the Rival S IV didn’t come with anything.

Also, what is everyone’s recommendation for using spikes? Good or bad? I run on a loose dirt track (it’s kind of a dirt/gravel mix).
[/quote]

I would wear your spikes when you’re working on your acceleration from a 3/4 point stance. From a two point it goes either way based on your acceleration ability.

If you want to sprint 3/4 days per week, I’d structure it something like:
Mon: Accel
Tues: Tempo
Weds: Off
Thurs: Max Speed/Accel
Fri: Tempo

Nothing wrong with sprinting 4 times a week, if you’re controlling CNS fatigue, and are using some of the time as metabolic conditioning and CNS recovery

To make a distinction, I wouldn’t use waffles due to lack of traction (they’re for pavement!), I would use a cross country flat or a track flat for all tempo work, plus your warm up sprints on the other days. I’d use my sprint spikes for mostly all acceleration work that is to be performed at 100%.

Of course, if all you want to do is sprint 100 meters 12 times every time you go out there, I'd just get a pair of track flats and do it 3 times a week on non-consecutive days.

If you're more interested about other aspects of sprinting in terms of getting faster, I'd spend some time around the charlie francis forum, and read his book.