T Nation

Sprint Program

I have read thorugh a lot on T-Nation, and read a lot of debates about speed- nfl 40 yard times compared to pro sprinters.

I’m hoping I can get help for a true sprint training programme, for the 100m.

I’m training WS4SB at the moment, but wanna throw in a specific 100m running prgramme in, instead of DeFrancos.

Thanks

In order for anyone to help you, we’ll need some numbers. Height, weight, approximate bodyfat percentage, squat, vertical jump, and of course, 40 time.

[quote]rmccart1 wrote:
In order for anyone to help you, we’ll need some numbers. Height, weight, approximate bodyfat percentage, squat, vertical jump, and of course, 40 time.[/quote]

Height- 5"8
Weight- 172
Bodyfat- Around 7%
Squat- 308 (140kgs)
Bench Press- 264+ (120kgs)
Vertical jump- don’t know, we never get tested on that in england
40 yard dash- not tested, 100m time is 11.2

Someone must know of a good programme!

Check out charliefrancis.com, you’ll find more help in the fourums there.

How old are you? That’s a pretty respectable 100 time.

Turned 17 today! When I got that time I used to train for about 2 weeks leading up to the competition, and then just get back to my soccer training.( Dedicated I know lol)

So I’m hoping I can do something in sprinting if i put my mind to it.

OK, those aren’t bad numbers. You’re already lean, that’s good, and you’re already pretty fast, which is also good.

In short, I see no major deficiencies here, so I wouldn’t do anything drastic. In my opinion, I think you should have 2 lower body days. On one day, go to the gym and focus on getting your squat up. Full, ass-to-ankles back squats and glute-ham raises should be your main focus here. I might do something like:

-back squats 3-5 x 3-5
-split squat 3 x 6-10
-glute-ham raise 3 x 6-10

One your other day, work on short sprints and jumps. Since you’re worried about your 40, and your top speed seems good, just focus on acceleration. I might do something like this:

-30 yard sprint 3-6 x 1
-broad jump 3-6 x 2-3
-RFI exercise 3-4 x 10-25 seconds.

The RFI exercise (reflexive-firing isometric) is to help build eccentric rate-of-force development in your plantar flexors (calves) and to develop speed-endurance. Basically, pick an exercise from this page and rotate them every few weeks. Pick a height (for one of the jumps) or whatever and do it for the time allotted. If you can get over 25 seconds withoutt breaking form or rhythm, move it up until your time is in the prescribed range. If you can’t get at least 10 seconds, it’s too hard.

inno-sport.net/Speed-Endurance.htm

I do the RFI’s with Ski jumps, X jumps, rapid fires, hammer hops, etc…

You’ll notice a difference after a month or so of doing them. It takes time but its worth it if you’ll stay after it.

[quote]rmccart1 wrote:
OK, those aren’t bad numbers. You’re already lean, that’s good, and you’re already pretty fast, which is also good.

In short, I see no major deficiencies here, so I wouldn’t do anything drastic. In my opinion, I think you should have 2 lower body days. On one day, go to the gym and focus on getting your squat up. Full, ass-to-ankles back squats and glute-ham raises should be your main focus here. I might do something like:

-back squats 3-5 x 3-5
-split squat 3 x 6-10
-glute-ham raise 3 x 6-10

One your other day, work on short sprints and jumps. Since you’re worried about your 40, and your top speed seems good, just focus on acceleration. I might do something like this:

-30 yard sprint 3-6 x 1
-broad jump 3-6 x 2-3
-RFI exercise 3-4 x 10-25 seconds.

The RFI exercise (reflexive-firing isometric) is to help build eccentric rate-of-force development in your plantar flexors (calves) and to develop speed-endurance. Basically, pick an exercise from this page and rotate them every few weeks. Pick a height (for one of the jumps) or whatever and do it for the time allotted. If you can get over 25 seconds withoutt breaking form or rhythm, move it up until your time is in the prescribed range. If you can’t get at least 10 seconds, it’s too hard.

inno-sport.net/Speed-Endurance.htm[/quote]

At the moment I train:
Monday- Max effort upper
Tuesday- Dynamic lower (weights)
Wednesday- Off
Thursday- Rep Upper
Friday- Max lower
Saturday and Sunday off

I am going to add in 2 running days, getting rid of dynamic lower, and the other sprints been on saturday.

One sprint day will consist of short sprints, and actually work on speed and acceleration.Sprints no longer than 60 yards.

Then day 2, 120m-160m working on speed endurance. Start off at first with 2 sets of 3 sprints.Adding a bit extra over time.

What do you think?

I ran lot of 4x100 (or 8x100) or whatever to help with my endurance.

Sprint 100, walk 100, repeat… Was good for my sprinting endurance. Could run a 200 full speed without any real issues. Now if your starting to look at a 400 then its a 4x400 or so…

Form is also key. Get some good sprints in with 75-90% max effort but focus on the form.

[quote]Oldfart wrote:
I ran lot of 4x100 (or 8x100) or whatever to help with my endurance.

Sprint 100, walk 100, repeat… Was good for my sprinting endurance. Could run a 200 full speed without any real issues. Now if your starting to look at a 400 then its a 4x400 or so…

Form is also key. Get some good sprints in with 75-90% max effort but focus on the form. [/quote]

Ye, good points. At the moment this is off season training, adding sprinting into it in the next few weeks, just trying to build some more strength etc.

What would in-season training look like, with competiton day been sunday, take into account weights as well.

Your two sprint days sound fine, although if you’re going to run twice per week and hit lower body with weights, I’d be careful to keep session volume low and keep the weight work to 3s and 5s. For instance, if you’re supposed to run four 40 yard sprints, but the third one is significantly slower (>.1) than your previous efforts, I’d stop right there. Same story if you feel your form breaking, or you feel yourself tightening up.

Just curious, how do you plan to structure your training week?

[quote]rmccart1 wrote:
Your two sprint days sound fine, although if you’re going to run twice per week and hit lower body with weights, I’d be careful to keep session volume low and keep the weight work to 3s and 5s. For instance, if you’re supposed to run four 40 yard sprints, but the third one is significantly slower (>.1) than your previous efforts, I’d stop right there. Same story if you feel your form breaking, or you feel yourself tightening up.

Just curious, how do you plan to structure your training week?[/quote]

Ye, I’m having the running days and the programme as Joe Defranco prescribes to his athletes:

Monday- Max effort Upper body
Tuesday- Speed training
Wednesday- off
Thursday- Max effort lower
Friday- Repetiton Upper body
Saturday- Speed endurance/ conditioning
Sunday- Off

The lower body weights day is:
working up to 2 sets of 3 reps with 75-80% of your 1RM. Another option is to work up to 2-3 singles with 90% of your 1RM if you�??re an advanced athlete.

Squats or Deadlifts

then, hyperextension 3x10

and finish off with sprinter sit-ups 3x20

And maybe add 1 more exercise.

SQUATS!!!

Honestly I have done quite a few different speed programs both on my own and through paid coaches, and if I had to pick the most influential thing that increased my speed it would be squats. There are some good articles and interviews with a couple olympic level sprint coaches who strongly recommend having a strong squat. Good luck

[quote]dean12345 wrote:
SQUATS!!!

Honestly I have done quite a few different speed programs both on my own and through paid coaches, and if I had to pick the most influential thing that increased my speed it would be squats. There are some good articles and interviews with a couple olympic level sprint coaches who strongly recommend having a strong squat. Good luck[/quote]

I’m looking to alernate squats and dealifts every 2-3 weeks, different reps etc.
So I don’t get stuck in a rut.

Please can you tell me where these articles are, I’m looking to find anything i can, thanks.

Also, what do you think about adding olympic lifts into the programme every so often, and which one would be best for a sprinter.

Squats do play a huge role in speed.

@ 165lbs in HS I squated 3 sets of 450x5 and my calves did 3 sets of 800x7 on the standing calf raise machine. Of course my max bench was 185 but thats cause I was a wuss…

Also look at the snatch… Some of the O-lifts will help with explosion.

I even did something ‘weird’ compared to my what my friends thought but I always felt it helped my starts. Set your feet in a 40 yard starting stance. Have 2 dumbells (one in each hand). From a squating/starting position blast up (straight up) with good form. I always felt it helped me to get that explosive start. Switch legs and repeat so you don’t have a lopsided effect.

[quote]Oldfart wrote:
Squats do play a huge role in speed.

@ 165lbs in HS I squated 3 sets of 450x5 and my calves did 3 sets of 800x7 on the standing calf raise machine. Of course my max bench was 185 but thats cause I was a wuss…

Also look at the snatch… Some of the O-lifts will help with explosion.

I even did something ‘weird’ compared to my what my friends thought but I always felt it helped my starts. Set your feet in a 40 yard starting stance. Have 2 dumbells (one in each hand). From a squating/starting position blast up (straight up) with good form. I always felt it helped me to get that explosive start. Switch legs and repeat so you don’t have a lopsided effect.[/quote]

Reading DeFranco’s articles, he says, you can make any movement explosive it’s about the weight been moved. Example, max bench been 300lbs say, if you did 8 sets of 3, at 150lbs, that would be explosive for you.

He also says that they have no carry-over, that if you’re weak at O-lifts, and then you can pick apart why, and then improve. But if you just trained O-lifts, the weak parts wouldn’t neccasarily improve.

Also, the exercise you mention, isn’t that something rocky would do? ( punching with dumbbells).
Am not too sure about this.

Whatever works for you though.

I know I read one of the articles here on T-Nation, another was a hard copy given to me by a coach. Sorry too lazy to look further into it.

www.charliefrancis.com (as another poster already mentioned), all your answers are in the search engine. Focus on getting your squat up, strengthen the hamstrings and sprint, that’s really all you need…