T Nation

Springs a Comin'

DISCLAIMER: This is my first post in anything other than supplements and nutrition and beginners so give me a heads up before you rip my head off.

After a bulk from 190 to 210 at 6’2", I realize I need to keep filling out and will continue to do so the rest of February and maybe into March depending on how it’s going. I’d like to lean out not even for spring or summer just to see if I can because I’ve always been on one. I have almost zero knowledge of “cutting” (don’t like the word), so I need some help. I have no idea what my BF is, nor do I care cause I’ve always been too skinny, it isn’t outrageous though.

Lifting- Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ll decrease my rest periods to 30-90 seconds, lower the volume (hardest thing), and maybe throw in some complexes.

Conditioning-Makeshift prowler, jump rope, sprint, maybe box jumps

Diet-I know little, so critique away…
Breakfast- 1 cup oatmeal with milk and fruit (prepared to cut this for eggs and shredded cheese if not making progress)
Snack-Nut mix
Lunch-2 chicken breasts and vegetables
Pre workout-Toast and jelly and maybe fruit
Post- 10 pixie sticks
Supper-2 chicken breasts and vegetables
Bed-Protein with milk(prepared to throw out) and PB

I can post pictures if needed

If you want critique, please post your macros, and exact calories.

I’m serious it’s a pain in the ass for some, I actually don’t find it painful, but a successful cut needs specifics (food weighed, everything measured and counted) because small regular adjustments need to be made to keep things going.

I’d be more than happy to help if you can get those.

I’ll get them

Lifting- I don’t change a thing about my lifting when I cut, even my rest periods. Hard n’ heavy in the offseason, hard n’ heavy during a prep. That’s how you remain looking beastly when ripped, not all waif-ish and skinny. No point in cutting if you’re just gonna lose muscle in the process.

Conditioning- All options you listed sound good. I’m old school, just gimme a bike for occasional sprints and I’m content.

Diet- Most people think all they need to do is eat ‘clean’ foods, but as Austin points out, it really is all about the numbers. The majority of those who fail at dieting do so because they can’t be bothered to do the little bit of extra work involved in planning and crunching numbers.

S

Hate to hi-jack thread OP but to Austin and Stu:

According to my myfitnesspal: I’m taking in 58g fat, 194g carb and 213g protein. 2146 cal.

Curious as to if those are good for a cut?

[quote]chobbs wrote:
DISCLAIMER: This is my first post in anything other than supplements and nutrition and beginners so give me a heads up before you rip my head off.

After a bulk from 190 to 210 at 6’2", I realize I need to keep filling out and will continue to do so the rest of February and maybe into March depending on how it’s going. I’d like to lean out not even for spring or summer just to see if I can because I’ve always been on one. I have almost zero knowledge of “cutting” (don’t like the word), so I need some help. I have no idea what my BF is, nor do I care cause I’ve always been too skinny, it isn’t outrageous though.

Lifting- Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ll decrease my rest periods to 30-90 seconds, lower the volume (hardest thing), and maybe throw in some complexes.

Conditioning-Makeshift prowler, jump rope, sprint, maybe box jumps

Diet-I know little, so critique away…
Breakfast- 1 cup oatmeal with milk and fruit (prepared to cut this for eggs and shredded cheese if not making progress)
Snack-Nut mix
Lunch-2 chicken breasts and vegetables
Pre workout-Toast and jelly and maybe fruit
Post- 10 pixie sticks
Supper-2 chicken breasts and vegetables
Bed-Protein with milk(prepared to throw out) and PB

I can post pictures if needed[/quote]

Diet:

More protein. You need a good source of protein with every meal. Your breakfast is almost entirely carbs, and your snacks are just a little bit of fat. Pre workout has no protein either. Post absolutely needs protein as well. The diet you have proposed so far is garbage.

Provide the macros and specifics, and I’m sure some of the more experienced guys will help you out. Good luck.

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:
DISCLAIMER: This is my first post in anything other than supplements and nutrition and beginners so give me a heads up before you rip my head off.

After a bulk from 190 to 210 at 6’2", I realize I need to keep filling out and will continue to do so the rest of February and maybe into March depending on how it’s going. I’d like to lean out not even for spring or summer just to see if I can because I’ve always been on one. I have almost zero knowledge of “cutting” (don’t like the word), so I need some help. I have no idea what my BF is, nor do I care cause I’ve always been too skinny, it isn’t outrageous though.

Lifting- Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ll decrease my rest periods to 30-90 seconds, lower the volume (hardest thing), and maybe throw in some complexes.

Conditioning-Makeshift prowler, jump rope, sprint, maybe box jumps

Diet-I know little, so critique away…
Breakfast- 1 cup oatmeal with milk and fruit (prepared to cut this for eggs and shredded cheese if not making progress)
Snack-Nut mix
Lunch-2 chicken breasts and vegetables
Pre workout-Toast and jelly and maybe fruit
Post- 10 pixie sticks
Supper-2 chicken breasts and vegetables
Bed-Protein with milk(prepared to throw out) and PB

I can post pictures if needed[/quote]

Diet:

More protein. You need a good source of protein with every meal. Your breakfast is almost entirely carbs, and your snacks are just a little bit of fat. Pre workout has no protein either. Post absolutely needs protein as well. The diet you have proposed so far is garbage.

Provide the macros and specifics, and I’m sure some of the more experienced guys will help you out. Good luck.[/quote]

i agree, the easiest way to determine protien needs is to evenly divide it up between 5 or 6 meals

for dieting a good place to start is LBMx1.5 g

so if im shredded at around 180 lbs thats 270 grams of protein/day- divided into 6 meals is 45 grams/meal

[quote]ironmanzvw wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:
DISCLAIMER: This is my first post in anything other than supplements and nutrition and beginners so give me a heads up before you rip my head off.

After a bulk from 190 to 210 at 6’2", I realize I need to keep filling out and will continue to do so the rest of February and maybe into March depending on how it’s going. I’d like to lean out not even for spring or summer just to see if I can because I’ve always been on one. I have almost zero knowledge of “cutting” (don’t like the word), so I need some help. I have no idea what my BF is, nor do I care cause I’ve always been too skinny, it isn’t outrageous though.

Lifting- Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ll decrease my rest periods to 30-90 seconds, lower the volume (hardest thing), and maybe throw in some complexes.

Conditioning-Makeshift prowler, jump rope, sprint, maybe box jumps

Diet-I know little, so critique away…
Breakfast- 1 cup oatmeal with milk and fruit (prepared to cut this for eggs and shredded cheese if not making progress)
Snack-Nut mix
Lunch-2 chicken breasts and vegetables
Pre workout-Toast and jelly and maybe fruit
Post- 10 pixie sticks
Supper-2 chicken breasts and vegetables
Bed-Protein with milk(prepared to throw out) and PB

I can post pictures if needed[/quote]

Diet:

More protein. You need a good source of protein with every meal. Your breakfast is almost entirely carbs, and your snacks are just a little bit of fat. Pre workout has no protein either. Post absolutely needs protein as well. The diet you have proposed so far is garbage.

Provide the macros and specifics, and I’m sure some of the more experienced guys will help you out. Good luck.[/quote]

I concur. Adding in some eggs for breakfast and a protein shake PWO would be a good place to start.

I’ll get all the diet macros tonight, Tuesdays are my long days at school.

[quote]chobbs wrote:
I’ll get all the diet macros tonight, Tuesdays are my long days at school.[/quote]

Me too on Tues and Thurs except basically 845-245 straight, but it’s nice to have the afternoon and night off.

Only one class on Weds and Fri, 2 on Mon…Lots of time, but I am a busy man so all the better.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

Diet- Most people think all they need to do is eat ‘clean’ foods, but as Austin points out, it really is all about the numbers. The majority of those who fail at dieting do so because they can’t be bothered to do the little bit of extra work involved in planning and crunching numbers.
[/quote]

You make me feel like I do absolutely everything wrong, lol.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

Diet- Most people think all they need to do is eat ‘clean’ foods, but as Austin points out, it really is all about the numbers. The majority of those who fail at dieting do so because they can’t be bothered to do the little bit of extra work involved in planning and crunching numbers.
[/quote]

You make me feel like I do absolutely everything wrong, lol. [/quote]

lmao, think of it as tough love :wink:

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Lifting- I don’t change a thing about my lifting when I cut, even my rest periods. Hard n’ heavy in the offseason, hard n’ heavy during a prep. That’s how you remain looking beastly when ripped, not all waif-ish and skinny. No point in cutting if you’re just gonna lose muscle in the process.

S[/quote]

Lifting heavy in a caloric deficit, is there a cutoff point of decreasing kcals where you do need to cut volume? Not because of lack of energy but because potentially the body might use your own muscle tissue and just recycle it to heal? What about failure training on a deficit?

10 Pixie Sticks is your post workout? Am I missing something? 0_o

[quote]Andrewdwatters1 wrote:
10 Pixie Sticks is your post workout? Am I missing something? 0_o[/quote]
I told you I didn’t know how to do this leaning out stuff lol

Here’s my macros…it’s not looking good lol but I’m glad I caught it now instead of mid June

                                                                Protein/Carbs/Fats/Cals

Breakfast:
1 cup oatmeal 10/54/6/300
1/2 cup milk 4/6/4/75
1 apple 0/17/0/65

Snack:
Nut mix 20/18/46/510

Lunch:
2 chicken breast: 46/0/3/220
1 1/2 cup vegetables 4/22/0/120

Preworkout: Help
Postworkout: Help

Supper:
2 chicken breast 46/0/3/220
1 1/2 cup vegtables 4/22/0/120

Bed:
1 scoop whey 24/2/0/105
2 tablespoon PB 9/7/6/190
1 cup milk 8/12/8/150

Totals: (without pre and postworkout meals)
Protein: 175 grams
Carbs:160 grams
Fats:86 grams
Calories:2,075

[quote]HotShot818 wrote:
Hate to hi-jack thread OP but to Austin and Stu:

According to my myfitnesspal: I’m taking in 58g fat, 194g carb and 213g protein. 2146 cal.

Curious as to if those are good for a cut?[/quote]

make your own thread sir.

But to answer your question who knows?
If you weigh 170 That might maybe be a decent start… I dunno though, no one does. It depends on a lot of factors like how long you are cutting, goals, starting weight, how many calories you were starting from before the cut.

What you may not be getting is that you need to hit certain numbers and the changes and modifications in those macros along the way are the most important factor to weight loss.

So if you weigh 200 lbs (just random weight) and you are starting your diet at 2100 calories you’re kind of fucked in the long run. Because in a month or two you’ll may be eating sub 1800 calories and as a male where do you go from there?
Ideally a 200 lb person would start their diet around 2400-2600 calories with a deficit already being factored in, but these numbers are not always perfect.

Hope that helped. Start your own thread.

[quote]giograves wrote:

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Lifting- I don’t change a thing about my lifting when I cut, even my rest periods. Hard n’ heavy in the offseason, hard n’ heavy during a prep. That’s how you remain looking beastly when ripped, not all waif-ish and skinny. No point in cutting if you’re just gonna lose muscle in the process.

S[/quote]

Lifting heavy in a caloric deficit, is there a cutoff point of decreasing kcals where you do need to cut volume? Not because of lack of energy but because potentially the body might use your own muscle tissue and just recycle it to heal? What about failure training on a deficit?
[/quote]

First, realize that when people first establish their ‘calorie deficit’, it’s usually based on their current weight, not based on maintaining their current lean body mass. As such, I’ve found that unless you really go overboard and drop 1000 cals below your regular intake each day, it’s not really much of an issue. I’ve always scheduled my own diets so that I can get the most of out my actual training. Cycling my cals around my split, targeting my nutrients around my training time, scaling back more on days where I plan on being a bit more sedentary.

There’s really no hard and fast rule on scaling things back though. Some people can get by on the same volume of work, others are going to feel more depleted. I’ve had instances where I’m a few weeks out from a contest, and while I may feel kinda tired during my workday, or between sets, once I’m under the weights, I experience no loss of strength whatsoever. To me, that speaks volumes about smart dieting.

Obviously if your strength is dropping, then you need a good look at how your training volume, and your diet are syncing up.

In terms of training to failure; I don’t usually do that even when not cutting. To me, it’s about achieving stimulation, but avoiding unnecessary fatigue. Especially when you’re on a deficit. The main goal of weight training when dieting (there are several, but go with me on this) is to always provide your body with the signals that say ‘these’ tissues are important, so even though we’re scaling back overall, we’d better provide a steady supply of nutrients their way.

That doesn’t mean that you have to beat a muscle so severely that it won’t be able to fully heal when calories are scare. If you are someone who typically chasing failure, by all means stay with what’s comfortable, BUT you may be one of the people who has to lower their work volume a bit in order to avoid excessive muscle loss.

S