Sprained Ankle/Sauna?

is it ok to go into a sauna with a sprained ankle? its a little swollen…

[quote]kobe4life08 wrote:
is it ok to go into a sauna with a sprained ankle? its a little swollen…[/quote]

When did you sprain it? If recently I would think that’s a bad idea. You should be icing that thing.

No. RICE it.

ice may not always help but it will almost never hurt. heat can hurt. if your desperate enough to risk your ankle so you dont have to create your body heat I would suggest you lie in a bathtub with your bum ankle sticking out.

You know what. I had a bum ankle for a while because of a roll over while running. according to el doctor I tore one of the ligaments partially.

So i nursed it and nursed it and then one day went into a dry sauna wondering when this cocksucker would quit hurting and when the tendon would quit shifting underneath the skin when i walked (creepy feeling). Then once i came out of the saunaI noticed it didn’t hurt any more. And it hasn’t hurt since.

I asked the chiropractor how it felt to him and he reckons the tendon is back in place and the inflammation is gone. Like new. I don’t see why the sauna would hurt. heat is a great catalyst for easing blood flow to the area. Blood flow is often the key to healing musco-skeletal injuries. I find too much icing past the initial incidence postpones the healing process.

I use this for athletes I train with, ice first then “blue-heat” rub and hot baths after ward and we all heal fast enough to stay in regular competition.

It’s up to you i suppose, just a case study here.

-chris

Get active release.

Did you guys read what he said? This isnt an old injury that doesnt feel right or something. I hope you were kidding about ART on a still swollen sprained ankle, and heat is not good on that ankle!

Maybe after a few weeks have gone by and it is not feeling right but it isnt swollen you could ask your doctor about benefits of using heat, but you dont need to force any more blood into an area that right now has so much blood and fluid it is expanding the skin around it. And just because you happened to walk into a sauna and your ankle felt better afterward doesnt mean it was the heat that did it, its probably more in your mind or a coincidence…

Try it. You’ll experience discomfort before anything awfull happens. Don’t keep your feet near the ceiling.

no. rice. if you don’t get the swelling under control this thing could nag you for years. after the swelling is gone then you can try heat.

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
I hope you were kidding about ART on a still swollen sprained ankle, coincidence…[/quote]

No I was not. Ask one of the ART experts or an ART practitioner.

What he really needs acute or not is:

1. a chiro (many ART people are chiro anyway) to see if his talus AKA anklebone is subluxed and needs to be adjusted.

2. ART on the interosseous membrane and the other usual areas.

I am neither a chiro or an ARt practitioner, but I have sprained my ankle twice in the last few years.

my co-worker has just finished the lower body portion of his ART training and tells me this is not a recommended use of active release.

right now it is still a little swollen but i can walk and job on it. the inner part of my ankle hurts too i cant really bend that much to try to jump.

i heard TOO MUCH ice for it is bad. when is it too much? should i still keep doing it since its still a bit swollen. how many times a day should i ice?

Never heat within a week of an injury. Ice. Don’t sauna, don’t sit in a hot tub. Just ice it. If you heat an injury it will swell worse. After a week or so then you can try heating it before you exercise to loosen it up, but ice after exercise.

[quote]kobe4life08 wrote:
right now it is still a little swollen but i can walk and job on it. the inner part of my ankle hurts too i cant really bend that much to try to jump.

i heard TOO MUCH ice for it is bad. when is it too much? should i still keep doing it since its still a bit swollen. how many times a day should i ice?[/quote]

Icing is mainly for the vasoconstriction effects. However after about 20 minutes of icing the body will respond by dilating the blood vessels in whatever you are icing. This causes a bunch of blood to rush to the limb to try to warm it up, but in an injured limb it can cause inflammation. Thus most trainers will only let you ice for 15 minutes at a time, and you have to give the limb time to warm up before you stick it back in the ice. I used to sit in a tub of ice up to my armpits 3 times a day when I played football. So you can ice an ankle quite often.

i cant jump off of it right now too hard. i can walk and jog. once i try to jump and flex my calf, theres a slight pain on the inside part of my ankle, not the outher where i sprained it. should i keep icing it? its still slightly swollen. what should my daily routine look like so i can get back and play cuz im goin to san diego wit the team on a trip to play a tournament and i really wanna get my starting spot bak and play

o and i when i ice it i put my foot in a bucket with cold water and like 8 -10 ice cubes so it gets pretty cold but i leave it for liek 10-15 min

should i ice it in a bucket of ice with cold water or should i just with it with a ice pack.will a bucket of water with ice cause my ankle to swell up even more since itll be soo cold?