Spotting the Dumbell Bench Press

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
I just can’t imagine the db getting so out of control that I couldn’t safely miss the lift. That’s one of the things I really like about db bench pressing.[/quote]

This…

Maybe we’re just super duper talented at DB pressing?

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
I just can’t imagine the db getting so out of control that I couldn’t safely miss the lift. That’s one of the things I really like about db bench pressing.[/quote]

This…

Maybe we’re just super duper talented at DB pressing? [/quote]

I don’t know if talent is the same as experience =)

Even if something craptacular were to happen which it has before, it just made a big boom when it fell on the floor and the db was never quite the same, but my face was still intact and I never got a fear of death feeling because it was so easy to pull the db to the side and even if I hadn’t it would’ve just brushed the side of my ribs on the way down. It’s the barbell bench that can make me nervous when I know my spotter isn’t very experienced. Especially when using bands.

I go to failure all the time with DB Bench without a spotter and never felt unsafe.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
I go to failure all the time with DB Bench without a spotter and never felt unsafe.[/quote]

No wonder; your barbell spotter sucks^^

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

as they say…shit happens . I know a guy ( low 300’s presser) who tore his shoulder to shit with 135 on a barbell…bad luck , karma , poor genes…or shit happened .

for me , DB work is assistance…no need for actual spotters . but for a couple of guys just starting out , may not be the worst idea . I remember those days…I would fatigue VERY quickly . I couldnt grind out a rep to save my soul …as soon as the bar/DB slowed it was all over . my lifts now are far from impressive , but I know where I stand on the fatigue-meter .

[quote]marlboroman wrote:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

as they say…shit happens . I know a guy ( low 300’s presser) who tore his shoulder to shit with 135 on a barbell…bad luck , karma , poor genes…or shit happened .

for me , DB work is assistance…no need for actual spotters . but for a couple of guys just starting out , may not be the worst idea . I remember those days…I would fatigue VERY quickly . I couldnt grind out a rep to save my soul …as soon as the bar/DB slowed it was all over . my lifts now are far from impressive , but I know where I stand on the fatigue-meter .[/quote]

True, shit happens. And what you said about fatigue: it’s incredible how more tiring benching with db’s is compared to bb. Just them in balance is a bitch.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

This…

In the op’s defense I’ve had this happen to me. I’d only been lifting about a year and I was pressing the 50’s (I think) and on one side it was like my power went out and I caught it on my forehead. There was no strain, no muscling it up, it just crashed on me. Luckily all I got was a little bruise instead of a smashed nose and teeth. It has happened since though. Maybe my muscles just weren’t coordinated enough.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

This…

In the op’s defense I’ve had this happen to me. I’d only been lifting about a year and I was pressing the 50’s (I think) and on one side it was like my power went out and I caught it on my forehead. There was no strain, no muscling it up, it just crashed on me. Luckily all I got was a little bruise instead of a smashed nose and teeth. It has happened since though. Maybe my muscles just weren’t coordinated enough.[/quote]
B
But is a spotter, who has zero indication of your sudden onset fatigue, going to bring able to grab it in the split second it takes to fall? I’m doubtful

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

This…

In the op’s defense I’ve had this happen to me. I’d only been lifting about a year and I was pressing the 50’s (I think) and on one side it was like my power went out and I caught it on my forehead. There was no strain, no muscling it up, it just crashed on me. Luckily all I got was a little bruise instead of a smashed nose and teeth. It has happened since though. Maybe my muscles just weren’t coordinated enough.[/quote]
B
But is a spotter, who has zero indication of your sudden onset fatigue, going to bring able to grab it in the split second it takes to fall? I’m doubtful[/quote]

like I said…if spotter is paying attention ( like a spotter ought to be ) , then yes .

if spotter is looking at the hotsies like in Sufiandy’s avatar , then probably not

[quote]marlboroman wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

Haha, thank you. I think most people here are so experienced with lifting that they forgot how it was when starting out. Like I said… just keeping those db’s straight is bitch. But you’ve been very lucky btw. Having a little bruise instead of a gap!

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
like I said…if spotter is paying attention ( like a spotter ought to be ) , then yes .

if spotter is looking at the hotsies like in Sufiandy’s avatar , then probably not [/quote]

So what would you recommend? I mean, how should a spotter react when he sees that the fatigue is causing a fail or possible loss of grip? We were doing a 5x10 btw on assistance, so the fatigue really kicked in.