T Nation

Spot Reduction?

As we all know that spot reduction is a thing of fiction…I read a article in some health mag, not sure which one…but it said that increasing the circulation in those pockets of cold fat will aid in fat loss in that area…Doing this with a type of elastic waist band of sorts. I remember when I was in the service I wore it when I worked out and it seems to help…Is this true or just another myth? input please…

[quote]ThisIsMyRifle wrote:
As we all know that spot reduction is a thing of fiction…I read a article in some health mag, not sure which one…but it said that increasing the circulation in those pockets of cold fat will aid in fat loss in that area…Doing this with a type of elastic waist band of sorts. I remember when I was in the service I wore it when I worked out and it seems to help…Is this true or just another myth? input please…[/quote]

I don’t know, but simply raising the temperature to the area with an insulating band isn’t necessarily the same thing as increasing circulation anyway. How does the mere presence of an external bodily attachment cause more blood to flow to that area? There is a very slight, vague ring of logic to this, (the circulation part, not the band) but even if there was a study somewhere demonstrating it I bet it showed nothing like what the band salesman are saying. Of course this is all conjecture off the top of my head so take it for what it’s worth.

There are some yohimbe based topical creams that have been used to this end. They are said to increae bloodflow to an area, but i can’t say that i’ve ever tried it.

I thought there was still some debate on whether spot reduction was possible or not. I’m fairly sure Berardi has linked to or at least talked about some studies that indicated some spot reduction was possible.