Spot Reduction

Good basic summary of the Biosignature Modulation and similar programs for spot reduction.

Has anyone tried using the lemon juice and apple cider for R-ALA?

The Bodyfat Blueprint Regional Body Fat Storage and the Hormonal Implications There of

Part I: Practical Applications
by Marc McDougal

Sometimes in the world of exercise science, we are forced to come full circle with our discoveries. At first we scoff at an idea, mocking those who embrace it, citing references and theories, and generally low-browing the inferior neophytes who make these awful suggestions.

Then years go by, more research is done, more anecdotal experience is had, and we are obligated to eat crow. The newest crow-flavored delicacy at the Physiology Café is called “Spot Reduction, a la carte”. Who’s hungry?

In the past, exercise physiologists have espoused the idea that body fat is lost systemically and uniformly depending on “where the body decides” to take it from first. Fairly recently however, some innovative strength coaches have progressed past these theories and realized that with careful manipulation of certain hormones in the body, we truly do have the power to choose where fat is lost from!

First and foremost, I would like to credit Charles Poliquin for coming up with his well publicized methods of regional bodyfat manipulation which he calls “Biosignature Modulation”. Other strength coaches have followed suit and are starting to tailor client’s diets and training based on where they store their body fat.

When I first read about these theories, I must admit, I claimed voodoo. The black arts have no place in my arsenal of adipose destruction. Nonetheless, I found the ideas intriguing, so I did a bit more research, and decided to use some of my clients as lab rats (not to worry, my clients love to be used…in many, many ways).

My results were nothing less than astounding. Monthly measurements were truly shocking, for myself and my rats/clients. After continuing to experiment with hundreds of subjects, I have been able to come up with plans of attack that allow me to do two things that I have never been able to do before:

1.Predict with great accuracy the 2 (of 7) highest skinfold measurements on a client after only a verbal consultation.

2.Pick the 2 spots that the client wants to reduce first and successfully target their loss to a far more rapid pace than other sites.

Poliquin and others have set out some great tips and strategies pertaining to this issue, but I found them somewhat incomplete. I needed more, as I’m sure many of you do as well. I have also previously found there to be a lack of citation for real research backing up these views.

In Part I, I’m going to tailor to the ADD in all of you, and get right to the good stuff. You can walk away from this and start applying tips to your diet, supplementation, and workouts immediately.

Next month, I will indulge the science minded folks and delve deep into the true physiological mechanisms, complete with all of the research you could ever hope for.

As it turns out, the body has quite a slew of hormones circulating at any given time, all with their own optimal levels. When certain hormones get too high or too low, they can cause excess fat storage at certain sites. Key players include:

�?� Insulin
�?� Testosterone
�?� Growth Hormone
�?� Estrogen/Progesterone
�?� Cortisol

Lifestyle choices, diet, exercise, genetics, etc. can all play a role in the deviation of these hormones to suboptimal levels. By listening to your body, you can straighten these out and take them back to normal or better.

First off, you will need to have the results from a qualified coach for a seven site body fat caliper test including:

1.Bicep (Taken vertically halfway between the crease of the elbow and the acromion process, slightly medial. Client should relax the arm to his/her side with the palm up)

2.Tricep (Taken vertically halfway between the elbow and the tip of the posterior aspect of the shoulder. Client should relax arm)

3.Subscapular (Taken diagonally along the angle of the scapula, just below the bone)

4.Mid-axillary (Taken vertically just below the lower crease of the armpit, just south of where the deodorant cakes up)

5.Supra-iliac (Taken diagonally just above the peak of the iliac crest, in line with the armpit.)

6.Umbilical (Taken vertically just laterally of the belly button.)

7.Quadricep (Taken vertically halfway between the iliac crest and the patella)
Note: It is extremely important that these measurements be taken at the exact same spot with every follow up. Even a slight shift in location can largely affect the reading.

Find the two sites with the highest mm readings. These should be your initial focus when trying to decrease overall body composition. However, you could very well decrease other less problematic sites as well depending on your preference. I know this is what John Romaniello does with his abdominal measurement so that he can wear his crop-top shirts out to the clubs on the weekends. Now if we could just get him to shave his belly…

This chart will give you the tools to learn how to manage the hormones and watch your sites drop. As I said, this is all based off of hundreds of trials, as well as many published studies.

Bicep:
This measurement should be used as a reference point to develop a ratio with the tricep. Males should shoot for a 1:1 with a 1:2 being the ceiling. Females should shoot for a 1:2 with a 1:3 being the ceiling. If the tricep shows at higher than these ratios, this can be an indication of circulating progesterone levels being elevated (you sissy).

Tricep:
Again, this is an indication that your progesterone and possibly other estrogen metabolites are too high. When you raise your arms up, does it look like you are wearing a cape? Bat wings, lunch-lady arms, mud flaps etc-- here’s how to fix 'em.

Females should pay close attention to any hormones they are using. Many forms of birth control can immediately cause women to increase their fat storage in this area (as well as quadriceps). Countless times I have seen women lose significant tricep adipose tissue simply by discontinuing use of birth control, or switching to a form that can be better tolerated.

However, getting pregnant is decidedly not an efficient way to lose body fat either, so either cover your bases, or be forced to name your kid after me.

Males have quite a few options for eliminating those excess estrogen metabolites including:
�?� Stop shopping at Gap
�?� Cut back on “Lifetime” movies
�?� Quit vacuuming in your girlfriend’s underwear

Both males and females can target this area in a few other ways. Try to eliminate

“xenoestrogens”, i.e. environmental estrogens that can end up in your blood stream. Here are some common ones:

�?�Phthalates- found in plastics, exacerbated when heated. (Hint hint–don’t microwave plastics!!)

�?�Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)- found in waxes, glues, and flame retardants. Please don’t superglue your Haz-Mat suit on your body.

�?�Parabeans- Perfumes, colognes, aerosol air fresheners, etc. Try to find those without this nasty chemical. Score another one for Axe body spray-- no parabeans! You can eat that stuff, I swear.

�?�Pesticides/Insecticides- Wash your produce; wipe the paws of your outdoor pets when they come inside, keep field grazing to a “special treat”.

Many others exist as well, some very hard to avoid. These truly can have a significant impact on the hormones in your body and are nothing to jeer at. Taking an anti-estrogen/progesterone is a good idea for those who tend to store fat in the tricep/quad region. Here are some options:

�?�High Lignan Flax Oil: Lignans are a type of fiber that can remove excess estrogen metabolites from the blood stream. This gives you the added benefit of Omega-3 fatty acids.

�?�Vitex Agnus Castus (chasteberry): Most research on this compound focuses on its ability to lessen symptoms of PMS, although it does show the declination of the implicated hormones. This would be a good product for women, but is questionable for men as some research shows it to be an anti-androgen.

�?�Calcium D-Glucarate: Great for reduction in the implicated hormones, as well as significant effects on promoting liver health, anti-cancer, and lipid lowering.

�?�Clomiphene (Clomid): A prescription LH booster, as well as an anti-estrogen.

�?�Tamoxifen (Nolvadex): Another prescription anti-estrogen, however I would not recommend this due to recent research displaying some dangerous properties to this drug.

And finally, stop smoking pot you damn hippies, as that can cause elevation of estrogen metabolites as well.

Subscapular:
Depends on who you ask! Some coaches implicate this measurement with high free testosterone levels, while others relate it to degree of insulin sensitivity. I’ll discuss this more in depth in Part II to cover what the research really says about subscapular body fat storage. Until then, we are going to group this one with insulin management. (See “Supra-Iliac”)

Mid-Axillary:

Time to take care of your thyroid!
�?�Gugglesterones: Help boost natural thyroid output, as well as being anti-arthritic, anti-inflammatory, and exhibiting cholesterol lowering effects.

�?�Coleus forskohlii: Thyroid booster

�?�Cytomel: Prescription synthetic thyroid hormone

Supra-iliac:
Those who store excess body fat in the upper hip region tend to have a degree of insulin resistance, as well as sub-optimal growth hormone (GH) levels. This hormonal pair makes absolute sense, as elevated insulin can impede the pulsatile release of GH.

Insulin resistance means that your body isn’t using glucose efficiently, which causes a host of insulin related problems ultimately leading to decreased energy, increased fat storage, decreased cognitive function, etc. How to solve it:

�?�Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Fish oil or flax oil, depending on which suits your needs to a greater extent. If you store high fat in the quadricep and tricep regions as well, go with the flax for some fat loss multitasking (just make sure it’s high lignan).

Take at least 3,000mg of combined EPA/DHA per day, up to about 9,000mg. Dosage depends on total fat intake, lean body mass, and omega 3 content in the existing diet. If you use Flax oil, be sure not to use it while you have any caffeine in your system as it can interfere with your body’s conversion of alpha linolenic acid into eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acids (the active compounds in the omega 3 fatty acid responsible for the positive effects on insulin mediated glucose transport).

�?�Decrease/Eliminate Trans Fatty Acids: Avoid cooking with oils, anything with hydrogenated fats (regular peanut butter, frozen waffles, margarine, etc.).

�?�R-Alpha Lipoic Acid: Take this about 20-30 minutes before meals for an increase in insulin sensitivity. This is a great compound that has proven very effective in research as well as real world, especially for those that have a degree of insulin resistance. Dosage should range from 100-300mg depending on amount of carbohydrates in the meal.

�?�Lemon Juice/Vinegar - This is the equivalent of the highway signs reading “Emergency Pull Out Ahead,” and no, we’re not discussing coitus interruptus. Basically, taking about 1 oz of each of these, right before or during a meal can improve insulin sensitivity acutely.

I recommend filling a shot glass half full of lemon juice and half full of apple cider vinegar, and knock it down right before a meal. You can even order this one at a restaurant when you don’t have your r-ALA handy (and it’s VITAL that you do this on a first date, all of us Rugged guys do it?I swear). Oh, and did I mention how cheap this is? I don’t want to hear that you’re fat because you’re broke.

�?�Decrease Carbs: Your total carb intake should be no more than .75xLBM while repairing your insulin sensitivity, with most of these carbs coming during and after your workout (when insulin sensitivity will be temporarily elevated). The rest of your carbs should be from low Glycemic Index, low Insulin Index foods such as green vegetables, yams, whole oats, fibrous fruits, and beans.

�?�Fiber: As long as your carbs are coming from the right sources, this shouldn’t be a problem. Try to make sure you are getting between 25-40g/day depending on LBM and total calories.

�?�Increase Workout Frequency: Workout everyday if possible. This means decreasing your total volume per workout, and repeating more often. Each bout in the weight room causes a significant increase in insulin sensitivity, with frequent workouts you can achieve an around the clock elevation in the way your body handles glucose and insulin.

Avoid training to failure at all costs, train hard but always make your last rep look like your first. A good place to start is 5 days with weight training and 3 days with cardio.

�?�Eliminate Stimulants: Time to loose the caffeine, ephedrine, etc. These compounds have a negative impact on insulin sensitivity, and need to be avoided until you improve your body’s tolerance.

Switch to Green Tea, which can have a beneficial effect on insulin sensitivity. You may also want to consider some nootropic compounds to keep the mental edge if you are used to stimulants to keep you going. Click here for a rundown on these cognitive enhancing compounds.

Umbilical:
Alright fat bellies, listen up. First off quit drinking the beer, as it somehow takes a one-way route right to the belly in every man, woman and child. Sack up and drink some chilled vodka-- if it’s good enough for the Russians, its good enough…wait, well, it’s better for you; let’s leave it at that.

Cortisol, testosterone, and even growth hormone play a role in this region. First we’ll tackle cortisol, as it is the most common culprit of abdominal fat storage.

Cortisol Reduction Methods:
�?�Quit your job: You’re obviously too stressed at work. Get a nice hobby. Kidding aside, stress is the number one factor in elevated cortisol, so it’s time to relax and take a few deep breaths. Come on your life doesn’t suck that bad.

�?�Sleep: Most people need 7-9 hours of sleep every night, uninterrupted. Waking up to quickly drain the hose isn’t a bad thing, but continuous breaks of more than a few minutes during the sleep cycle will surely disturb the process. Those of you that “feel fine” after only 5 hours per night, take a good look at your belly and keep telling yourself how fine you feel.

�?�Eliminate NSAIDS: Over the counter pain killers are nothing but evil. Not only do they negatively affect cortisol, but they decrease protein synthesis rates making everything you do in the gym more arduous. Stick to fish oils for their anti-inflammatory properties, and get your injuries fixed!

�?�Fish Oils: They do everything. Get used to it. Take them. Lots. Enjoy the taste.

�?�Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA’s): Two options here, take your LBM in kg and multiply it by .4, consume this in liquid form during your workout, heavily diluted in water.

Option two; consume 5g mixed BCAAs between each meal, in about 16oz water. I recommend ICE made by Xtreme Formulations. This protocol has shown to cause a significant reduction in abdominal body fat storage, while preserving lean mass (LBM) while in a caloric restriction.

�?�Phosphatidylserine: Studies have shown that 800mg/day can significantly suppress cortisol. This can get expensive, which is why I don’t recommend it as a blanket performance supplement, just to those with indications of high cortisol levels.

�?�Bacopa: This is a nootropic agent with some cortisol suppressing properties. All the more reason to take an 800mg capsule of this every day upon rising (you’ll be smarter and thinner!). A very cheap and effective supplement.

�?�5-HTP: Take 50mg between meals. This can cause significant mood elevation and sense of well being for those of you with heightened stress levels. It also suppresses carbohydrate cravings through the elevation of serotonin, which can be handy when dieting.

�?�Yohimbine: Men have alpha-2 adrenoreceptors in the abdominal region, and oral or transdermal yohimbine has been shown to directly target these receptors to aid in fat loss. Avoid this compound if you have any blood pressure issues, otherwise take between 3-8mg between meals 3x/day.

�?�Kill the Cardio: Long duration cardio can cause an elevation in cortisol, so stick to short interval sessions. I usually recommend 20 minutes total, 2 or 3 times per week max. Perform 30 second “sprints” (all out, hard as you can) followed by 90 second recovery phases.

�?�Post Workout: Ensure that you have an adequate post workout shake immediately after you finish. Cortisol is elevated during your workout, and proper nutrition is vital to bring it back down and start the recovery process. Take 250mg Vitamin C with 400 I.U. Vitamin E along with a good post workout shake such as Relentless (which has a good dose of phosphatidylserine already in it).
Testosterone Elevation Methods:

�?�Zinc: 30mg on an empty stomach before bed. Gives your body “fuel” to produce enough testosterone.

�?�Tribulus Terrestris: An herb found to increase LH output, which will then elevate endogenous testosterone production.

�?�Dietary Fats: Make sure that you are getting about 50% of your total fat intake from good monounsaturated sources such as nuts, avocados, olive oil, natural peanut butter, etc. 20% of your dietary fat should come from saturates (the remaining 30% will come from polyunsaturates in the form of fish/flax oil). This type of eating can encourage adequate testosterone production.

�?�Steroids: Either a prescription hormonal replacement from your doctor, or your own “home prescription” will surely help to eliminate fat in this area. Make sure you do your research (your doctor sure won’t) and design a good, safe cycle. For more information on that subject, read Ryan Norton’s great series here: Part I, Part II.

�?�Clomiphene (Clomid): Described above, this will boost endogenous testosterone production as well as serve as an anti-estrogen.

�?�Pro-Hormones/Pro-Steroids: This is usually my last recommendation, as so many of these compounds effects vary greatly from user to user, and some have side effects just as bad if not worse than real steroids (terrible headaches, nausea, fatigue, flu-like symptoms, etc).

However, if you tolerate them well, some good ones can be found with some experimentation. If you have questions about specifics, feel free to email me.

�?�Compound, Multi-joint Movements: When you are in the gym, make sure that you incorporate squats, deadlifts, cleans, dips, chin ups, etc. into your program as these exercises have shown to elevate testosterone as well as growth hormone more than single joint movements.

Quadricep:

Everything that was covered under “Tricep” applies here. For the ladies in the house, this is where the aforementioned alpha-2 adrenoreceptors come into play, so apply the yohimbine recommendations.

One other interesting thing I have noticed is that long duration cardio (45-60min) can help to decrease this skinfold preferentially to others. Avoid this long cardio however, if your abdominal reading is one of your highest numbers, or just use the long duration workout once per week.

That covers the basics, now you have some knowledge to attack that stubborn body fat. Interestingly, the more research that I uncovered, the more local “crossover” I found between storage sites and their implicated hormones. This goes to show again that the body is not a machine, not a collection of parts, but rather a flowing synergistic entity that needs to be treated as a whole.

The above information can and should be applied to regional body fat loss, but keep in mind that one should strive for overall health above all to keep the body working in harmony.

EDIT:

I was an idiot.

nice article icecold, lots of good info

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

what, what, what… is it you are discussing in this thread.

I know I am not going to read that freaking long post.[/quote]

looks like what CT and Poliquin have noted about how certain hormones cause body fat storage in localized areas

…and to think I thought of you when I made this thread. I thought you of anyone would want to read more on Biosignature Modulation.

[quote]icecold wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

I know I am not going to read that freaking long post.

…and to think I thought of you when I made this thread. I thought you of anyone would want to read more on Biosignature Modulation.[/quote]

I am just the biggest jerk.

actually, you are right, this is something I am interested in. I should have read what you posted and not just judged it by the size of the post.

I wonder what normal ratios are for all of them.

Thanks for posting this - a great read!

should be pretty clear, just ignore it if you want.

to the OP, thanks

[quote]gi2eg wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

to the OP, thanks[/quote]

No I don’t want to ignore it. I jumped the gun with my first post.

It is a great article, very interesting and informative.

Thanks again for posting it icecold

Yeah, really enjoying it.

It mentions a part II, is that out yet?

gi2eg wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

to the OP, thanks

No I don’t want to ignore it. I jumped the gun with my first post.

It is a great article, very interesting and informative.

Thanks again for posting it icecold
[/quote]

I see where OG is coming from. It starts off rather confusing without an intro and looks like a bunch of babble. I was going to skip it too, tell I caught a few lines in the middle skimming over that caught my eye

I am gonna’ start trying that lemon juice/vinegar shot. Thanks for posting!

OP, did you take the Bio Sig course? Some great info there.

No I did not take the Bio Sig course and the article is not by me.

The theory has been gaining momentum since around 2005 and I am starting to become more interested like many others.

The info is not directly from Poliquin as stated. Others such as Check have been preaching similar info too.

I have not seen part II.

Glad some of you enjoyed.

just curious if theres any studies done on this?..thanks for adding in that chick also icecold! and your avatar pic, Denise is a hottie!

[quote]icecold wrote:

The theory has been gaining momentum since around 2005 and I am starting to become more interested like many others.

The info is not directly from Poliquin as stated. Others such as Check have been preaching similar info too.

I have not seen part II.

[/quote]

I assume you mean Paul Chek? Interesting, I haven’t ran across him and this topic. Usually just poop and the importance of organic foods lol

From what I understand, Poliquin uses blood tests which correlate with bodyfat measurements . I can say it has done some amazing things for myself personally, and those who have implemented it in their own regiment.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
icecold wrote:

I have not seen part II.

I assume you mean Paul Chek? Interesting, I haven’t ran across him and this topic. Usually just poop and the importance of organic foods lol[/quote]

Nothing like Poliquin but Chek has mentioned natural supplements for spot reduction.

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1367199

After looking at the post above the mentioned information was actually from Poliquin and not Chek. I remember the post but did not read his original article, that was because it did not even exist and was by Poliquin.

I was interested in ratios also and it looks like everything is compared to tricep. Man am I in trouble now.

By Charles Poliquin

Spot reduction is a myth, right? Sure, there are endless articles in fitness magazines about how to target and tone specific muscles, but no personal trainer worth his certification will promise he can help you take off fat from specific areas. Reduce your body fat by three percent, no problem. But get rid of that annoying cellulite on the back of your thighs or that little pouch on your lower belly �?? and nothing else �?? well, that�??s just not possible. Or is it?

The promise of spot reduction is an obsession that many in our culture just won�??t abandon. How many pills, creams and celebrity-endorsed gadgets have people tried that were supposed to help you develop ripped abs or slender thighs? And even though those tight corsets of the Victorian era that caused women to pass out due to lack of oxygen are a long-dead fashion trend, today there are special pants and girdles that give the illusion that the troublesome fat is gone. Trainers constantly warn their clients to stay clear from such nonsense. However, the advancements in exercise endocrinology may give personal trainers new tools for combating site specific fat storage. The system is called Biosignature Modulation.

Biosignature Modulation is a scientific approach to spot reduction I developed from over 20 years of performing blood, urine and saliva tests while working with world record holders, professional athletes in all the major sports and Olympic medalists in 16 different events. My entire professional life has been devoted to finding ways to improve athletic performance among the elite, and along the way, I have found innovative and amazingly effective ways to help the non-athletic population in the area of fat loss.

Based on my testing, the reason so many people have stubborn problem areas is due to imbalances in their body biochemistry, especially with hormones. Doubt the power of hormones? Just look at what steroids have done to so many athletes, turning men into supermen and women into superwomen (and sometimes into supermen! Unfortunately, these drugs do have side effects). And just as steroid hormones can build muscle, other hormones can cause unwanted fat stores in your back, legs, hips and �?? well, you get the idea.

Here�??s how Biosignature Modulation works. There are 12 major body fat sites that can be quickly and accurately tested by a pair of quality skin calipers. These sites include the cheek, chin, pectoral region, triceps, umbilical, supra iliac, subscapular, mid axillary, quadriceps, hamstrings, knee and calf. Although there are many other methods to test body fat, such as underwater weighing and electrical impedance, I believe body fat testing with skin calipers is the best method to be used for Biosignature Modulation because it can determine precisely the amount of fat in each of the major fat testing sites, the same way a far more expensive Dexa scan would.

Measurements from each site are then compared to the tricep reading, and this identifies which areas of the body have excessive levels of fat relative to the other 11 body fat sites. Some people may have excessive fat in just one area, while others may have several problem areas. Most clients will already be quite familiar with their problem areas. An experienced practitioner in Biosignature Modulation can often make an accurate visual determination of the problem, but the calipers are quick, easy and reliable.

Next >

Once the Biosignature sites are analyzed, the next step is to set out a specific protocol of diet, exercise and supplementation to resolve the problem. Let�??s say that after being tested, it�??s discovered there is an excessive amount of fat on the lower thighs (again, relative to the other major fat sites). This indicates there is a problem with the estrogen levels. If the problem area is the triceps, the issue is with the androgen levels. If the problem area is the shoulder blades or hip, the problem is with insulin levels. The shoulder blade area has to do with the genetic ability to handle carbohydrates, while your supra-illiac skinfold is a direct reflection of your dietary intake. Therefore, if a client cheats on an assigned low carbohydrate diet, the skin folds will not lie.

After determining the cause of the fat, the next step is to make appropriate modifications in your client�??s diet. For the subscapular and supra-illiac, controlling the blood sugar levels of the body with more frequent meals, reduced daily carbohydrate and low GI food choices is critical. For lower abdominal fat, the key is reducing cortisol levels by restricting the consumption of stimulants and simple sugars.

For the glutes, it�??s important to detoxify estrogen levels by consuming vegetables such as broccoli that have biochemicals to accomplish this important task. Many of these dietary recommendations overlap. None of them involve any method harmful to the body, and in fact, all of them will improve the overall quality of life.

The next step is supplementation. For the fat on the back of your arms, herbal products such as licorice root, ginseng (which is most effective when taken 45 minutes before a meal), suma, holy basil and rhodiola rosea might be prescribed. For the fat stored around mid-axillary, a supplement of guggul, coleus root and bladderwrack algae could be recommended as it contains iodine that will strengthen the thyroid gland. For the fat stored around the shoulder blades and hips, corosolic acid, R-form stabilized alpha lipoic acid and fish oils may be prescribed to control insulin. For fat storage on the thighs, indole-3-carbinol, phosphatidyl-choline may be recommended. The cortisol site on the abdominal wall can be addressed mainly with what traditional Chinese medicine practitioners would call Yin tonics. In the Biosignature model, over 26 types of Yin tonics are used. The choice of a specific one is regulated by other factors than cortiso, such as the client�??s personality, levels of neuro-transimitters, exercise levels, circadian rhythms, to name a few.

Taking a well designed multivitamin/mineral helps out the overall process, as many nutrients act as intermediaries in detoxification of hormones and provide building blocks for all the neuro-transmitters. Male slanted formulas tend to work on correcting blood fat values. Female slanted formulas are more geared towards the detoxification of estrogens.

The final step is determining an appropriate exercise regimen. For example, for those with lower body fat, spinning will likely do more harm than good. Spinning will increase the storage of intramuscular and subcutaneous fat in the hip and thigh areas to provide a more readily available source of fuel for the muscles. Instead, a weight training protocol of high reps (10 to 15) and short rest intervals (about 30 seconds between sets) would be a much more effective choice.

The Biosignature Modulation program will always be in a constant state of growth with the publication of new and better research that improves the system. But now, personal trainers can effectively combat site specific areas of fat storage using a simple 12-point skinfold test, dietary changes, supplementation and exercise based on their individual biochemistry.

[quote]passionhawaii wrote:
just curious if theres any studies done on this?..thanks for adding in that chick also icecold! and your avatar pic, Denise is a hottie![/quote]

There is no shortage of research to prove that the hormone imbalances mentioned do cause fat to deposit in the areas mentioned. Even the average Joe knows stress can cause belly fat (cortisol). The other areas have been proven also by the corresponding hormones.

Poliquin has based his program on solid science.

Have there been published studies on Pub Med to prove that even though certain hormones cause you to deposit fat more so in certain areas that controlling them helps to actually target those areas in fat loss mode instead of just preventing a lot more deposition in those areas during fat gain? There may be, but I am not sure on this one. He does have a ton of clients that prove this though and others are finding similar results.

That the article recommends Guggelsterones (for the mid-ax site) is curious. I have read on the forums several times that those are NOT good to take.