Sports Visualization

[quote]dl- wrote:
"But lower rates of muscle activity were recorded when they simply visualised themselves lifting the weight. "

THEN BUT WAIT…So if your into powerlifting and going for that sweet new 1RM you want…you would be visualizing yourself lifting that weight…getting under the bar, and doing it…so now im really confused.[/quote]

Yes, that is correct. I think they are getting at the point that if you visualise muscle growth, you will enhance muscle growth. If you visualise enhanced performance, that is what you will achieve. So it is different if your aim is powerlifting, or bodybuilding.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
A Hull University team asked 30 subjects to do biceps curls and found their muscles worked more when they focused on what the muscles were doing.

But lower rates of muscle activity were recorded when they simply visualised themselves lifting the weight.

[/quote]

The article doesn’t specify why the muscle activity was higher. If the two groups lifted the same weight at the same speed, then the increased muscle activity would indicate some kind of wasted energy. Perhaps the muscle-focused group inadvertently tensed up their triceps. On the other hand, they might have lifted the weight faster on average.

Good article here that covers some visualization issues:

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-036-feature

See the audio interview with Dr. Jack Singer too. Go to our Media & Art section on the left and click “T-Radio.”

[quote]larryb wrote:
Magarhe wrote:
A Hull University team asked 30 subjects to do biceps curls and found their muscles worked more when they focused on what the muscles were doing.

But lower rates of muscle activity were recorded when they simply visualised themselves lifting the weight.

The article doesn’t specify why the muscle activity was higher. If the two groups lifted the same weight at the same speed, then the increased muscle activity would indicate some kind of wasted energy. Perhaps the muscle-focused group inadvertently tensed up their triceps. On the other hand, they might have lifted the weight faster on average.[/quote]

That is 100% true, it wasn’t a great study. The muscle activity they measured could have been anything. Maybe their nerves were firing up trying to feel more … increased sensory awareness of the muscle - etc… and so forth, nerves firing but not to increase effort, or recruit more muscles ie not motor nerves. Who knows. I thought it was interesting however.

I love this technique. Never used Spike or Power Drive with it though. Something I will definitely try.

[quote]Mod Zilla wrote:
I love this technique. Never used Spike or Power Drive with it though. Something I will definitely try. [/quote]
Make sure you let us know how it goes, I think there’s something to be said for taking either one, but it seems like Power Drive would be more underestimated as it seems like it helps your brain “communicate” better when you are training, so why not when visualizing?

This is a great little book. It really gets you into the “zone.” Its pretty cheap now and I would give it a purchase if you’re really interested in sports visualization.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
This is a great little book. It really gets you into the “zone.” Its pretty cheap now and I would give it a purchase if you’re really interested in sports visualization.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0874771366/sr=8-2/qid=1144262836/ref=sr_1_2/103-4373704-7208644?_encoding=UTF8 [/quote]

Better yet, get the bundle with “The Mental Edge” That’s where I get all my stuff from and I absolutely love the book. I think I’ve read parts of the book 8 or so times. Great book to learn from and to reference.

Before a big wrestling match I think to myself that either I am getting my hand raised or someone is going to end up in the hospital. It obviously isn’t always true but it helps to go psycho during the match. I guess it turns on survival insticts or whatever.

I wouldn’t recomend using the hospital thing in visualization. Even if it inspires you NOT to get hurt, your mind has a way of making your thoughts come true. It is like when some people are so bad at public speaking, it is because they see themselves failing and getting laughed at in thier head. So then they go up, and do awful.

The whole thing about getting your hand raised is great. Make sure you feel the emotions that go with it about how excited and pumped up you get about winning.