Sports Science Degree where?

I am able to get a scholarship to do a sport science degree ANYWHERE in the world. But i have no idea where would be good? Any sugestions?

regds
Jonathan

FIU (Florida International University) in Miami, Masters of Strength and Conditioning (no kidding).
UCONN is another option if you want to volunteer in Kraemers lab.

never would have thought fiu! why do you say fiu? just curious

cya

My GF’s dad is a prof at FIU and I was looking at some of their programs online. I stumbled accross a Masters of Strength and Conditioning… Needless to say, “what the hell?!” is an understatement of my initial reaction. :slight_smile:

any opinion on the uni of british columbia course?

to be honest i dont think it matters where you go to school…i think it is much much more importantto make conections in the feild and set your self up with people around you who have been to the level you want to be at…sure you have to have a adegree in the field but dont let that choose your school becuase…all the american program are the exact same…if your going to to school to learn to get athletes stronger forget about it!..becuase the college programs of ex science are primarly targeted to the aerobic conditioning of the heart…you will learn more about strength training in one week of reading the t-mag article then you will learn in 5 years of college…take it from me i have done it…i have a degree in human performance from vincensses university and the university of tennesse martin and currenlty in a program at iupui for my cscsc form the nsca…bm

I think the school does make a difference. Most of the programs are similar as bm pointed out, but getting the opportunity to work with a good strength coach at a particular school is where the difference comes in to play. For instance, Ball State University would be a good choice because you could train with Joe Kenn.

Oh i think both loop and BM have valid points. And i have also heard form other places that the basic soprts science curriculum is pretty much the same. Thanks for the replies.

Joe Kenn is at Arizona State.

Make sure you also save enough money to afford 2-3 week summer internships with Charles Poliquin, Charles Staley and other top level coaches who offer them. One of the most important skills you will learn as a strength coach is the ability to market yourself.

Make sure you also save enough money to afford 2-3 week summer internships with Charles Poliquin, Charles Staley and other top level coaches who offer them. One of the most important skills you will learn as a strength coach is the ability to market yourself.

Yea, Joe Kenn is at ASU now.

Study Biomechanics under Zatsiorsky at penn state or exercise science at UCONN under kraemer. Both guys are good. I’d prefer Zats for the knowledge, His writings are awesome, kraemer may be better connected though

I would have to second David Barr and FIU. Dave Sandler runs the program and I have yet to hear anything but positive feedback about the guy. He also has great connections. Although with any program its the effort you put into it. You could have the best educators and not do your part and get nothing out of it. It utlimately comes down to you.

You could try the Nanyang Technological University’s Department of Physical Education (NIE) programmes. wide smile

My mistake, it’s been a few years since I was in school so i assumed Joe Kenn was at BSU.

I will be transferring to FIU after this semester, so let me know if you have any questions. Also, don’t forget about the location of the school you plan to attend. Miami is loaded with athletes from all sports.