Sports Psychology & The Aging Athlete

Words are extremely powerful. They can however, have different personal meanings. There is the actual meaning of the word and then what it means to you.

Here are some examples.

Workout: personal time

Pain: something to over come in order to achieve a goal

Weights: molding tools

Relationship: bad idea

Of course these meaning change as our lives change. They are personal meanings and pretty much what goes through my mind when I hear them.

Everyone uses words to create meanings so other will understand what they are trying to communicate. Still some words can have very different influences from one individual to an other.

What are your trigger words.

Of course words are are form of dualism.

We teach a young child the word tree and he or she has this mental association for life.

A tree is so much more. How many fond memories I have as a child climbing trees. And many times we would pick wild apples in the forest. There was the smell of burning leaves in the autumn air.
So words are limiting.

Running-flat stomach
Weights-hard stomach
Donuts-adipose tissue
Television-Hypnosis
Mirrors-best friend, worst enemy
Spouse*-friend,*as long as no collar and chain.
Supplements-buyer beware
Pet peeve word-Should
Favorite word -yes

Perhaps more later.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
streamline wrote:

Destiny is not to be waited for: it is to be Achieved

Oh I don’t know, if it’s your destiny I think you can wait around for it…I mean it is your destiny right?[/quote]

I don’t know about that. If one sits around waiting for destiny their destiny will be sitting around. It’s like a journey of a thousand miles, starts with but a single step. One has to do, in order to get.

I could be wrong. I’m not about to find out however. I have trails to blaze.

I think destiny is a dysfunctional word.
I’m not sure it even has place in religion.
Christians(reap what you sew),Buddhists (karma)

We chose to be weight lifters-we could be predisposed with personality traits.There was that fork in the road for us and we chose.

For me it was Steve Reeves as Hercules,along with Draper and Pearl and of course Arnold. Not to forget Franco Columbo what an inspiration.

There is a saying that a journey all ways ends where it began. If there is a destiny we choose it every moment every day.

[quote]daudowen wrote:

There is a saying that a journey all ways ends where it began. If there is a destiny we choose it every moment every day.[/quote]

Nicely said.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
streamline wrote:
Mick28 wrote:
streamline wrote:

Destiny is not to be waited for: it is to be Achieved

Oh I don’t know, if it’s your destiny I think you can wait around for it…I mean it is your destiny right?

I don’t know about that. If one sits around waiting for destiny their destiny will be sitting around. It’s like a journey of a thousand miles, starts with but a single step. One has to do, in order to get.

The definition of the word Destiny:

“The predetermined, usually inevitable course of events beyond human power or control.”

Now if that is an accurate definition, and I think it is, then I suppose you can lift weights all you want, you won’t be changing your destiny. Perhaps it was your destiny to lift weights to begin with. Either way…according to the definition you didn’t have much say in it. Right?

It seems that you will achieve your destiny no matter what you do.

[/quote]

Definitly a word that reguires a greater definition.

It is your destiny to be a, Doctor, Soldier, Engineer, etc. Or Maybe you are strong enough to make your own. Which every it may be is really all that important.

The important of your destiny is your preperation for it. Going to be a doctor, it is best to perpare for it ahead of time. Same with an Athlete or a Carpenter.

If one simple awaits their destiny, it will really suck. It one achieves their destiny, they could rise to the very top.

Look at it this way. It is your destiny to live to the age of 101 years. Now here are two choices for the out come of that destiny.

1/ Laying in bed wasted away to nothing. Being feed through a tube. All alone in your last days.

2/ Still kicking it. Moving a lot slower but doing it under your own power. Still flerting with the ladies and eating real food.

The first waited for their destiny, the second achieved it.

What is this stuff?

A person gets what they work for or they don’t. In this arena, you definitely won’t attain any goal if you don’t work for it.

None of us know squat about destiny. What many call destiny, when they say so and so was destined to be a great ball-player or a great pianist or whatever, ignores the series of acts that person performed in support of their goal, either consciously or unconsciously.

You don’t know what is your destiny except death. There may actually be a destiny for you written somewhere, but you can’t read that book, so you have to BELIEVE in that final goal and take ACTION toward that final goal. In which case it is human free will that prepared you for that final goal.

Belief without action is simple mental masturbation.

“Faith without works is dead.”

I think the original definition of “Destiny” is from a different era. A time when you were what you were ie farmer, smith, tailor. You were what your father was. It was your destiny “usually inevitable”, in that era it usually was. Not in this era.

Here the strong make their own destiny. My future is not predestined. It is predetermined, by me!

Destinere,Latin verb meaning to determine.

With Middle English word destine there was some sort of additional meaning.

I think the Greeks meant our determination determines our destiny.

[quote]daudowen wrote:
Destinere,Latin verb meaning to determine.

With Middle English word destine there was some sort of additional meaning.

I think the Greeks meant our determination determines our destiny.[/quote]

dauaowen, that is the meaning I always associated with the word. Well put and thank you! Best stick around, a brain like that can come in handy.

[quote]skidmark wrote:
What is this stuff?

A person gets what they work for or they don’t. In this arena, you definitely won’t attain any goal if you don’t work for it.

None of us know squat about destiny. What many call destiny, when they say so and so was destined to be a great ball-player or a great pianist or whatever, ignores the series of acts that person performed in support of their goal, either consciously or unconsciously.

You don’t know what is your destiny except death. There may actually be a destiny for you written somewhere, but you can’t read that book, so you have to BELIEVE in that final goal and take ACTION toward that final goal. In which case it is human free will that prepared you for that final goal.

Belief without action is simple mental masturbation.

“Faith without works is dead.”[/quote]

I think we’ve all agreed that our determination determines our destiny that is the truth you find in the iron.

[quote]
dauaowen, that is the meaning I always associated with the word. Well put and thank you! Best stick around, a brain like that can come in handy.[/quote]

Don't know squat about Latin(no pun intended), credit goes to Yahoo answer page, but thanks for compliment.

My greatest struggle is inside my mind. As I have just once again learned the mind is all powerful. I sat in my busted up shell of a body and prepared myself to overcome the mental aspects of my trauma.

As Hel320 was so quick to catch, my mind was reluctant to pursue it’s goal. Even knowing it was going to happen and trying to prevent it. Still I failed to prevent the mind from finding a reason to delay things. It’s a survival trait and needs to be overcome.

We got back on the horse today. It’s not the end. The battle will continue for months to come. We will have to battle caution as we re-train the mind to except high levels of speed without hesitation.

It’s something I shouldn’t be thinking about. Everything needs to be working toward a singular goal. This division of focus sets us back as a whole. Being early in the off season is the one promising factor. I am confident the whole will be back in tune before spring training.

The body at times is easier to repair and re-train. There are tell tale signs of problems that need more attention. The mind will try to hide it’s problems and disguise them. Wanting to protect the body from the ego.

The ego is what dives us, fuck’n little trouble maker. So we are in constant conflict, the mind, body & ego. Once these three are on the same page and finally tuned. We see the greatest progress and feel the most powerful.

Getting the fuckers on the same page however, proves to be a real bitch. Or a work in progress. It’s a challenge either way and I think I’m up for it!

What role does ego play in obesity?
What causes such an epidemic in the modern world?
Some here have struggled with weight in the past and some still are. Clearly over eating is an emotional, ego driven habit.
I would say some of it is just poor nutritional habits developed over a life time.
But, I think much of it is the ego convincing one -that there is a void in our lives-that we are not complete and that eating will make all well.
Many times our ego creates excuses for our failures. May be after Christmas or after my birthday I will start that diet.
A dedicated lifting program will force an individual to become attuned to the body.
The essence is in the practice.

[quote]daudowen wrote:

What role does ego play in obesity?
What causes such an epidemic in the modern world?
Some here have struggled with weight in the past and some still are. Clearly over eating is an emotional, ego driven habit.
I would say some of it is just poor nutritional habits developed over a life time.
But, I think much of it is the ego convincing one -that there is a void in our lives-that we are not complete and that eating will make all well.
Many times our ego creates excuses for our failures. May be after Christmas or after my birthday I will start that diet.
A dedicated lifting program will force an individual to become attuned to the body.
The essence is in the practice.[/quote]

The ego seeks satisfaction. If one does not control the direction from which there ego get it’s satisfaction. They will fall victim to their uncontroled ego. Now we all know just how bad one’s ego can get.

The reason for the poor nutrition is the fact that as a species we are pleasure seekers. With an uncontroled ego and a need for something sweet, problems were bond to occur. Back in history only the rich and well placed individuals enjoyed such delicacies. Now everyone does, gout used to be the rich persons disease not anymore.

The ego is also a lazy bastard. It would much rather do nothing whenever possible. Control the ego and change your life. Easier said than done. The ego is a tricky little fucker and few really have any idea how the ego works. It’s smart enough to behave for the most part.

People need to redirect their egos. The ego will learn it is more powerful when it’s healthy. Then you have to make sure it doesn’t take you over the edge.

The ego is a tool and can be extremly useful. However it is a tool that tends to think for it’s self. It has to be under constant supervision or it will run amuck!

Budda figured out the ego. Learned to control it and thereby became closer to enlightenment.

A tricky thing talking about ego on a body building site.
Some times I ponder the notion that I am engaged in some sort of narcissism. But when I look at the obesity -I quickly dismiss the thought.
Most of us are driven by our egos. If we can recognize egoic behavior,then we are on the road to a peaceful life.
When people comment on my physical progress I raise a red flag and stand down the ego. I have been known to go off on rants -chastising people in general.
Some times when I go to closet for a shirt to wear out -I may on purpose pick a baggy one. Just to pour a little cold water on ego.
May sound silly that’s just me.
The ego loves separation and a feeling of superiority. Again something difficult to talk about on a body building site. I deal with this by looking at it from a total health perspective. If I end up with a great body that’s a plus.
The ego imposes a set of conditions for happiness,the ego feels incomplete and lacking. This is why many people never find lasting happiness-the ego keeps raising the bar.
In short the ego is a mental entity created by the thinking mind. Some times I try not to think so much.