Sports Lab

Have you guys seen these videos on you-tube. They are also on their website advanced nervous system training. Troy Polamalu swears by it. I would love to get the opinions on this. What is the point of doing stuff on a balance board or airex pad if they are on a fixed motion machine?! That’s like doing a smith machine bench on a phys ball. I agree with their ideas on nervous system training but the training itself is a little out there.

Some of those exercises just make my neck and spine hurt just watching them. Their form on squats are knees forward, there can’t be much posterior strength from it. Even One of the coaches says traditional weight is AEROBIC TRAINING and they do 20 reps and their training is just anaerobic. WHAT!!! So if I’m hitting a speed bag and its only anaerobic? Troy says that traditional OLYMPIC WEIGHTLIFTING IS TOO SLOW!!! I would love to hear from Cressey, Robertson, Thib and Waterbury on this stuff.

I don’t know what to say just because that is so far out there that it’s to mind bottling.

did you just say mind bottling? lol

It’s purely a gimmick.

Troy Polamalu was not an athlete who was made by training, specifically that training. Ever see Reggie Bush on that Free-Flo-Do crap? Same thing. It’s a complete farce that they buy into this stuff. Troy was benching 4 and squatting 5 at USC.

Where are the results? Let’s see one athlete they have taken from nobody to elite? Not the already elite with superb genetic makeup.

I agree that I would love to see what kind of results they have with the non elite. I work with kids in the 8-18 range and there is no way I could do this with 80 percent of our athletes. Maybe a few could do some similar types of things like some of the rapid response stuff but none of the other stuff.

Troy is an animal, but he was born that way. He could train like a ballerina and he’d still light people up.

I would be really interested in hearing Poliquin’s analysis of this “training system.” He tends to not pull any punches when dealing with this kind of lunacy.

[quote]Affliction wrote:
It’s purely a gimmick.

Troy Polamalu was not an athlete who was made by training, specifically that training. Ever see Reggie Bush on that Free-Flo-Do crap? Same thing. It’s a complete farce that they buy into this stuff. Troy was benching 4 and squatting 5 at USC.

Where are the results? Let’s see one athlete they have taken from nobody to elite? Not the already elite with superb genetic makeup.[/quote]

I am going to 2nd this one. Not that you can not reach that potential but these fads are some things you can do after you have gotten there.

Like the old myth all Herschel Walker did was push ups. Yeah till he turned 14 and started going to high school and lifting weights.

…?
I think I sprained an ankle just watching this

[quote]colin1168 wrote:

…?
I think I sprained an ankle just watching this[/quote]

It’s like they are training for a seizure. WTF is that?

“If you train the nervous system slow, the muscle fires slow.”

That may be true, but if you train with useless exercises, what’s the point?

Anyone notice how they’re all skinny?

stup

It seems to work well for Troy…and let’s face it he does utilize Kettle Balls - let’s not assume that just because someone is not using multiple plates on each side of a bar that they are not an athlete.

Marv Marinovich argues that he is training sports-specific exercises…I found it interesting…