Sports Injuries/Shoulder Issues (Bench)

I’ve had some sports injuries (shoulder) in the past. It doesn’t bother me at all anymore, and I don’t notice anything in daily life. But I guess it has impacted my alignment because I do notice it when benching with barbell bench. Although I don’t feel any pain my left shoulder just won’t stay level on the bench or in proper alignment (the same as my right) as I push the weight up. And the bar doesn’t come up evenly. I do like the bench, but I’ve taken to relying mostly on dumbells, dips, Hammer Strength (and flies) for chest development because I feel like the effectiveness of my bench is compromised. Has anybody had similar issues? How do you adjust your training to deal with this?

If you can get a photo of your upper back, post it here. I bet I could tell you what’s going on.

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
If you can get a photo of your upper back, post it here. I bet I could tell you what’s going on.[/quote]

Ok, thanks. I will do that soon. I’ve had a trainer at the gym watch me today. And he couldn’t figure out what the hell was going on other than tossing out the idea of old sports injuries. But I’m sure you are more knowledgeable in regard to physiology. Any suggestions in the meantime? Ok to focus on dumbell bench, dips, and other non-barbell exervises? thanks,

justin

I’m with Eric on this one.

Regarding db’s, I would think that they would help unless of course the movement is also asymmetric, in which case it would continue to reinforce the altered movement pattern.

Also, I would check to see if you have the altered motion on the barbell BP with light weights as well as heavy weight.

Keep us posted.

Take care,

Ryan

[quote]Dr. Ryan wrote:
I’m with Eric on this one.

Regarding db’s, I would think that they would help unless of course the movement is also asymmetric, in which case it would continue to reinforce the altered movement pattern.

Also, I would check to see if you have the altered motion on the barbell BP with light weights as well as heavy weight.

Keep us posted.

Take care,

Ryan[/quote]

Thanks, Dr. Ryan. Dumbells did seem to work better. My left arm extended in a much more normal range of motion than with the barbell. My right side (dominant side) is probably stronger than my left size, but I do think the movement pattern itself is the big problem. It’s present even when just using the bar attempting to focus on form and get the blood flowing. So, I’m not exactly sure what’s going on. But I will try to get that back pic up soon and post again seeking more advice. thanks again.