Sports Hernia?

I’m a 37-year-old powerlifter. I went to a sports medicine doctor today to be have him evaluate a persistent low-grade pain in my right hip, which I’ve had for about 18 months now. He did a number of stretching and balancing tests, and thinks I have a “sports hernia.”

Has anyone here ever heard of such a thing? My doc says some athletes have pains in atypical areas (like the hip, I guess) that are due to hernias that don’t manifest themselves with the usual bulge in the groin. I hate to be a cynic, but I’m wondering if “sports hernia” is his way of saying “I really don’t know what’s wrong with you, so I’ll take a wild guess.”

The corrective surgery for this is VERY rough, and takes a good 3 months of recovery before you can hit the weights again. Needless to say, I will consider this only as a last resort. I’m particularly troubled that he wants to do the surgery not because I have abnormal test results, but because my test results are normal, and he can’t think of anything else that would be causing such a pain.

Before I consider going under the knife, I would like to hear from anyone hear who knows anything about this, especially if you’ve been diagnosed with one. In the mean time, I will be doing all the research I can on the topic.
Thanks

They are very real. Donovan McNabb, the QB for the Eagles has a sports hernia and is done for the season. Very Painful as you well know. Check out the link for info.

www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1998/01jan/batt.htm