T Nation

Sports Doc in Princeton NJ Area

I just moved to the Princeton NJ area and am looking for a qualified expert in sports medicine, specifically for what seems to be a case of tendinosis of the elbow, something similar to lateral epicondylitis.

There are several medical pracices in this part of New Jersy that claim expertise in sports medicine.

So I am curious: has anyone in the T-Nation had any experience, good or bad, with sports medicine in this part of New Jersey or nearby?

Many thanks,

Ajax

[quote]Ajax wrote:
I just moved to the Princeton NJ area and am looking for a qualified expert in sports medicine, specifically for what seems to be a case of tendinosis of the elbow, something similar to lateral epicondylitis.

There are several medical pracices in this part of New Jersy that claim expertise in sports medicine.

So I am curious: has anyone in the T-Nation had any experience, good or bad, with sports medicine in this part of New Jersey or nearby?

Many thanks,

Ajax[/quote]

None that I can think of. I’m in Flemington. My elbow was affected on both the medial and lateral sides. I just went to my primary physician and then to PT. Good luck.

Try activerelease.com and use the locator to find someone near you.

PS - You might consider contacting Martin Rooney or Jason Ferruggia through elitefts.com. Both of them are in NJ and would know who the best would be.

Same here I know a great practice in Springfield NJ. They are worth the trip.

[quote]Jersey5150 wrote:
Same here I know a great practice in Springfield NJ. They are worth the trip.[/quote]

Eric,

Many thanks for the suggestions. Active release might be worth a shot. It seems to have a dedicated following on this site, and that says something.

On the other hand, I am fairly certain that what I have is tendinosis, not built-up scar tissue so I am not sure how helpful active release might be. That excellent article on tendinosis and eccentric loading as therapy that you summarized explained how tendinosis is a function of the degeneration of the tendon itself and that the production of new collagen is what is needed.

I’ll contact the guys from elitefts and see whom they recommend. I’m not looking for miracles, but know that a competent sports doc or therapist can cut down recovery time significantly, and given that tendinosis takes months, not days or even weeks, that can be significant.

Best of all is precisely as you advised: avoid tendinosis from the beginning by training smarter and not just harder.

Jersey 5150: do you have the name for that practice in Springfield?

Thanks again gentlemen!

Ajax

Ajax,

Actually, you’d be surprised what some soft tissue work can do in situations such as yours. Often, the problem is related to dysfunction in surrounding tissues. For instance, it’s not uncommon to see adhesions all over the hip region musculature with patellar tendonosis. Remember, our bodies are great compensators! Look at the big picture - not isolated muscles.