T Nation

Splitting Sessions and Protocol on HP Mass

CT,

I know you say it’s usually better to divide sessions when possible. Would it be alright to split the upper pressing days, so you are doing the first 2 pressing exercises in the a.m., and then the 3rd pressing and secondary lower body exercise in the p.m.? For instance:

A.M.
Overhead Press (with staggered sets)
Incline Press (with staggered sets)

P.M.
Flat Bench (with staggered sets)
Deadlift

Also, as far as the workout nutrition, I’m taking 2 scoops Anaconda, another 20g of CH, and 2 scoops WO Fuel. Would it be best to just split that in half? So:

A.M.
1 scoop Anaconda
10g CH
1 scoop WO Fuel

P.M.
1 scoop Anaconda
10g CH
1 scoop WO Fuel

I’m enjoying HP Mass so far. I’m really excited to have started it, because I have always admired your work. My buddies actually give me crap for it, because I always somehow manage to repeat something you have said when we are talking training lol. I’m making some insane progress though, so they can’t say much about it :wink:

Thanks coach!
-Adam

As far as the workouts go I remember CT saying that starting with an OH press and doing multi-exercise ramping going towards flat bench, angle-wise, showed reduced shoulder pain and injury, which is priceless when doing many workouts. You would lose that by splitting the exercises, but if you just split the sets you expect to be doing in your MTZ, you would preserve the effect.

My 2 pennies - just shift the third pressing exercise into your first workout (will save warmup time, preserve shoulder benefits per BRAAS), and then just make your second exercise Deadlift. This only makes your first workout 10 minutes longer, and then maybe do your sled work or assistance exercises with deadlifting in the 2nd session.

@Braas: Yes that was the only thing I was concerned about. I took his advice in the past and started with OH on every upper body pushing workout and my shoulder pains almost completely disappeared. The only time I have any shoulder discomfort on the program is when I do bench as my secondary lift on lower pushing days.

@WombatNation: Yes that is true, I was just looking for a more even split of the session. I’m not doing too much sled/prowler work right now, because the weather has been freezing here in Kansas lol. I just got the common cold a couple of weeks ago, and didn’t want to risk getting sick again. The weather is getting better now though, so it’s no problem.

I really don’t have a problem with doing the whole lifting session in the a.m., and doing the eccentric-less work in the afternoon. I was only concerned with weeks 3 and 6, when the volume gets higher. Today is actually my first upper body day for week 3, so we’ll see how it goes lol