T Nation

Split to Get Bigger and Stronger?

Hi everyone, this is my first post on my first ever forum!
just wondering what everyone thinks works best for getting bigger and stronger at the same time..

I know you can just say train in the 8-12 rep range for size and progressively lift heavier for the strength, but I mean some good strength gains (especially in the big 3 lifts) so more like powerbuilding or power bodybuilding as mike o'hearn calls it.

Do you think that mixing the heavy lifts in with the hypertrophy work on the same session is best or splitting them up? what type of split would be best? bench/chest day squat/leg day etc or upper body/lower body split maybe?

Lift heavy weights for all rep ranges (well, lets say from 1 to 20 reps), and eat like you want to grow. That is the main idea, everything else should find its place by some common logic and experience.

So basically there is million way to do this, but it requires work, and work, and work (repeat until big and strong)…

If you want a clear and simple answer, try 5/3/1 BBB.

The best split will always be the one you can commit to and put your all into physically, and especially mentally!

EDIT: Other than that, personally I like to stagger the intensities of the main work & supplemental work, and hammer assistance & accessories at higher volume after (same day) in an upper/lower split. But this is only a personal preference.

[quote]mikepleavin wrote:

I know you can just say train in the 8-12 rep range for size and progressively lift heavier for the strength, but I mean some good strength gains (especially in the big 3 lifts) so more like powerbuilding or power bodybuilding as mike o’hearn calls it.

Do you think that mixing the heavy lifts in with the hypertrophy work on the same session is best or splitting them up? what type of split would be best? bench/chest day squat/leg day etc or upper body/lower body split maybe?

[/quote]

I don’t really understand what you mean by “good strength gains” as opposed to those procured by working progressively in the 8-12 range, as you’re going to do the same thing in any rep range. But I’ll take you to mean building the greatest absolute strength in terms of a 1-rep max.

If you would like to build that type of absolute strength while also working toward hypertrophy as a secondary or ancillary goal, you might be wise to look into 5/3/1 with the BBB assistance protocol. That is typically structured as a 4 days/week protocol of lifting–you can read about it on the Jim Wendler forum on these boards.

[quote]mikepleavin wrote:
Hi everyone, this is my first post on my first ever forum!
just wondering what everyone thinks worst best for getting bigger and stronger at the same time…

I know you can just say train in the 8-12 rep range for size and progressively lift heavier for the strength, but I mean some good strength gains (especially in the big 3 lifts) so more like powerbuilding or power bodybuilding as mike o’hearn calls it.

[/quote]
Here’s a good article by strength coach Mike Robertson. He likes to train in cycles with different intensities and the program has a built in deload as well as Ratings of Perceived Exertion .

Sorry about that i did mean maximal strength, thanks for the advice i will look in to 5/3/1 BBB as yourself and others have mentioned this :slight_smile:

Thanks for your input Angus, i will have a look at these links and will post on what i decide to do :slight_smile:

Thanks for the advice, i completely agree with you there! Hard consistent work in training AND diet are the key to making anything work!
Am going to check out 5/3/1 BBB :slight_smile: