Split Spacing

Hey everyone,

I have recently switched to a body part split after experimenting with total body and upper/lower splits. (Think Chad Waterbury and Eric Cressey)

Right now I am working with doing the following:

Day 1: Chest and Back
Day 2: Legs
Day 3: Shoulders and Arms

Maybe its the total body training mindset that fudged me but I’ve been following this routine, training M-W-F and taking the weekends off. I may be wrong here but I think CT suggested that with this type of split, 6 workouts per 8 days.

I need some advice on how to space this throughout the week. I’d like to mention that I’m not married to this split and suggestions on how to break up my work week would not be unwelcomed.

Looking forward to your inputs.

Thanks,

MM

Just keep the rotation going. Take a rest day when needed.

Switch back to TBT.

J/k 3 on 1 off, 3 on 1 off OR 3 on 1 off, 3 on 2 off. (in the latter case, it would be Push, pull, leg, arms, legs) or something similar depending on where you need work.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

For the 3 on 1 off schedule, even though different muscle groups are being trained, do you feel that its harder to recover? I’m thinking of systemic (overall) stress on the body, so even though the order allows the muscles a chance to recover, the CNS is still drained.

[quote]Mr.Martian wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys.

For the 3 on 1 off schedule, even though different muscle groups are being trained, do you feel that its harder to recover? I’m thinking of systemic (overall) stress on the body, so even though the order allows the muscles a chance to recover, the CNS is still drained.

[/quote]

It will really depend on: volume, # of sets to failure, intensity, nutrition, sleep, genetics, etc. You can definately make it work, you just gotta find the balance. But as far as frequency goes, this will be a good place to start. You may need to cut back on the frequency of where you are most advanced, as this is what is going to cause the most stress, and where you have the least room for improvement. But with a split, like you are looking at, I think 5-6 days a week should be very doable.

Good deal, I’ll check that out.

I’m a full time college student, recently picked up research and volunteer work. I keep myself busy but I definitely pay attention to things like sleep and nutrition.

As for the training aspect, I’m following CT’s principles. I ramp every exercise to a top set and terminate. I usually use 2 exercises per muscle group. After years of following cookie cutter programs I am attempting to learn my body.