T Nation

Split Jerks or Push Jerks

I am training for football. Should I do Split or Push Jerks?

Also, my workout is a 3-day per week workout. Day 1 I do Bench(heavy), day 2 Incline(medium), and day 3 DB Bench(heavy). I have currently maxed out on the dumbbells so i want to change the DB Bench to a different workout.
What should I change it to?

And one more question: are regular lunges good for football training? On my program I do a type of lunge (with a BB) where you go down and hold it, and twist the bar for a certain number of reps(do it with each leg and thats a set). I don’t really know the purpose of that…should I just do normal lunges with the barbell(no twist)?

Thanks guys your help is appreciated.

[quote]howie424 wrote:
I am training for football. Should I do Split or Push Jerks?

Also, my workout is a 3-day per week workout. Day 1 I do Bench(heavy), day 2 Incline(medium), and day 3 DB Bench(heavy). I have currently maxed out on the dumbbells so i want to change the DB Bench to a different workout.
What should I change it to?

And one more question: are regular lunges good for football training? On my program I do a type of lunge (with a BB) where you go down and hold it, and twist the bar for a certain number of reps(do it with each leg and thats a set). I don’t really know the purpose of that…should I just do normal lunges with the barbell(no twist)?

Thanks guys your help is appreciated.[/quote]

I’d do split Jerks for say a 6 - 8 weeks then switch to Push jerks, then move on to split jerks from behind your neck. NO ONE needs to do an exercise for ever and ever. Switch it up, unless your goal is to have a massive lift in that exercise. Even then switching to a slightly different exercise will help.

Can you do lunges that mean you actually travel a distance? Not the ones where you stay on the same spot? If you can do that. PULL FORWARDS WITH YOUR FRONT FOOT and have your back leg pull through high. We do this at hurdling and you can use say a barbell and work on up. Great exercise. Really gets your glutes use to pulling through and will help to make you faster.

Koing

thanks for the advice man…

I think since my football program is a 9 week program, and i did push jerks for the first 3 weeks, ill do split for 3, and behind the neck split for the last 3…does that sound ok?

And for lunges i prefer standing ones…are normal standing ok? or do the hold-twist ones really do anything?

Also what do you think i should replace DB Bench(heavy) with?

replace it with a squat or deadlift day

Replace the lunges with that?

maybe i’m misunderstanding your training program…but if you have three bench days…you should replace one with a squat day or something like that…

or where you only talking about your chest exercise for those days…

i think i got confused

well day one is flat bench(heavy), day two is incline bench(medium), and day three is DB flat bench(heavy)…My main problem there is that I have maxed out on dumbbells and i want to chance that DB flat bench(heavy) to another lift. oh and btw those are the only chest exercises for those days.

my jerks question was: should i do split or push? then i came to the conclusion that i could do push for 3 weeks, split for 3 weeks, and split behind the neck/push for 3 weeks? would that be ok?

if you guys need i can list the workouts for each day of my program. please answer asap :smiley:

[quote]howie424 wrote:
well day one is flat bench(heavy), day two is incline bench(medium), and day three is DB flat bench(heavy)…My main problem there is that I have maxed out on dumbbells and i want to chance that DB flat bench(heavy) to another lift. oh and btw those are the only chest exercises for those days.

my jerks question was: should i do split or push? then i came to the conclusion that i could do push for 3 weeks, split for 3 weeks, and split behind the neck/push for 3 weeks? would that be ok?

if you guys need i can list the workouts for each day of my program. please answer asap :D[/quote]

9 weeks = 9 sessions for you. I’d stick with split jerk imo. 3 sessions is not enough to get use to the exercise imo and you will see minimal improvements in 3 sessions!

I’d do you do military press? If not I’d do that. You have a lot of chest exercises going on already!

Why not walk with lunges if you have the space to do so? I prefer them to normal lunges for the said rasons above.

Koing

Well I alrdy did the first three weeks with push jerks, so should i just finish the program with that?

and yes i alrdy do military press. each day is essentially a full body workout, so i have 1 chest workout each day…it works fine for me but i just need to switch that DB Bench(heavy) becuz ive maxed on dumbbells

and for lunges…do you think the hold-twist ones actually do anything or would you guys prefer normal

any body have some quick advice?

keep going with the push jerks…since you have only a few more weeks it’s stupid to learn a new exercise because you’ll waste a week getting used to it…as for the lunges, just do regular ones. The twisting works your core, but there are other exercises for that, with the lunging, your goal is to improve hip mobility/strength.

i played football in high school and had good lifting results so u can trust my advice

ok ill stick with the push jerks. and yeah our acceleration coach (the coach that set us up with this program) works our core effin HARD before we train so i’ve been doin normal lunges, just figured id ask for a second opinion.

thanks for the advice man! its good to hear it from a guy with great football lifting results

i’m still looking for one more answer tho…i need to change that DB Bench Press(heavy) to something and i dunno what…what is a lift similar to it that i could just swap with…no use reppin 75’s for 6 more weeks cuz i cant find heavier dumbbells than that around here…

weighted dips…

already do them the day before…

[quote]howie424 wrote:
already do them the day before…[/quote]

Why not make the DB bench a “medium” weight exercise and the Incline a heavy exercise… basiclly swap days since you don’t have acess to heavier DB’s

i was thinking about that…would it be ok that i do Bench(heavy), Incline(heavy), DB Bench(medium)? thats what it would look like

and if i did DB Bench(medium), what would be a good rep range?

Do you do any rowing type exercises? If you do I’d probably stick in another to balance out the chest work.

Koing

Hey, i know it’s getting late in the summer, but you still have time before the season. if you want to replace the heavy db press, do single arm db press. you won’t be able to use as much weight because all of your stabilizer muscles are recruited in order to balance the weight. i know you said you work your core a lot, but the single arm db bench is one of the best core exercises along with being an excellent chest exercise.