Split Help

Hi everyone,

Just after some advice regarding my current split. First just a little about me, recently finished 12 weeks of open First grade rugby so I’m currently probably in the best shape I’ve been (3 2 hour training sessions a week, consisting of fitness, heavy contact etc) (weights sessions three times weekly, full body splits).
1RM
Bench - 120kg
Squat - 150kg

Basically, given my training routine previously my body recovers well from high intensity and volume (recovery includes massages weekly, pool session etc), and with rugby season after I’m after a split that will help with a ‘bulk’, not sure if you guys like using that word.

I’m after a split that will help me incorporate hitting full body twice weekly… I can’t really seem to find any information except the concept of ‘overtraining’ however I believe i am able to cope with this.

If you need anymore information just ask, thanks for your help guys.

If recovery is not an issue - Mass Made Simple or Wendler’s Rest Pause Challenge. Assuming I read you correctly and you want to do twofull body sessions/week.

Check out the work or rugby S&C coach Ashley Jones. He has several articles up on Elitefts.

If you want to hit all muscles twice per week then either a push/pull split or upper lower split is usually the way to go. Both ways have you training 4 days per week and both have there pros and cons.

Both splits work fine however push/pull can be a bit tricky with legs. If front squats are your main quad exercise and Romanian Deadlifts are your main hamstring exercise then it can work ok if you have legs that recover well.

Upper/Lower takes that problem out of the equation although the one drawback is upper day can be very long and it can be hard trying to scale back exercises for each muscle group.
Here is a good example http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1807367

A better alternative to both is a 3 way split. Push/Pull/Legs for example will give each muscle group it’s desired volume whilst still being able to get in enough frequency and recovery.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your replies. I probably should have been more specific as what I was going for instance was a heavy / powerlifting style day then the other day would be more hypertrophy style day. Not sure if this would work or not, opinions would be valued.

I haven’t had the chance to go through the programs you’ve mentioned but I will endeavour to today.

Cheers

[quote]brizzy1996 wrote:
I probably should have been more specific as what I was going for instance was a heavy / powerlifting style day then the other day would be more hypertrophy style day. Not sure if this would work or not, opinions would be valued.
[/quote]

That would work. Basically you’d have:

Monday - Upper or Pressing, Strength
Tuesday - Lower or Pulling, Strength

Thursday - Upper or Pressing, Hypertrophy
Friday - Lower or Pulling, Hypertrophy

Personally I prefer to just combine strength and hypertrophy in the same session, and to divide the days by lifts rather than upper/lower or push/pull. For example:

MONDAY
Bench Press, Strength
Shoulders / Triceps, Hypertrophy

TUESDAY
Squat, Strength
Back / Legs Hypertrophy

THURSDAY
Press or Push Press, Strength
Chest / Triceps, Hypertrophy

FRIDAY
Deadlift, Strength
Back / Legs Hypertrophy

Something like that. There are a lot of options.

You’re pretty much looking for any kind of westside-inspired split. Westside for Skinny Bastards, Renegade Strong, yada yada… They’re all good. You can even program your own, just make sure you don’t try to cram in fifty exercises each workout.