Splenda (sucralose) - can someone explain this to me?

I wanted to use Splenda as a sweetener for my bitter zero-carb whey protein, and was advised that this is an excellent product without any calories or carbs. And the label seems to suggest that, too. But the ingredients are dextrose, maltodextrin, and sucralose. Dextrose and maltodextrin are hardly carb-free! Dextrose is one of the more potent high-GI carbs that some people use post-workout for an insulin spike. How can it be the first ingredient of a sweeter for ketogenic diets?

You must have the Splenda packets, because I have a box of just Splenda and there is not any dextrose or maltodextrin-just Splenda.

I too have wondered what effect, if any, that Splenda has on insulin. However, this might be one of those things that falls under T.C.'s definition of “minutia” or whatever he called it.

I would guess that the actual content of the dextrose/maltodextrin is negligible. Most stevia products have a maltodextrin base in them as well.

Thank you! Yes, I have the packets. The reason I was worried about the picky details is that Brock once griped about how people complained to him that they hadn’t had much luck on the FFD when they followed it just like he said…and then when he pressed for details, he found they’d made all sorts of modifications on their own. Splenda makes my shakes taste a LOT better, but they already have 3g carbs per shake and I wanted to make sure I didn’t go much higher. That may not sound like much, but 30g a day or less doesn’t give one much to play with.

Just get a box of straight Splenda and you will be all set! No calories, you get more for your money than the packets, and there is no added dextrose or maltodextrin. This should help you in your quest to stay under 30g of carbs daily. Personally, I liberally apply Splenda to my morning oatmeal/oatbran mix and and with my before-bed casein shake. Oh, just thinking about that straight-casein shake makes my stomach turn! Even though the Splenda coupled with cinnamon, no-calorie butter spray, and anything else one can think of helps out, it is still ass!