Splenda in Diet Coke & Pepsi One

Hurray!!!

Coming this spring they are making a Splenda Sweetened Diet Coke and Pepsi One!

NO more Brain Rotting Aspartame!

If I’m not mistaken, Pepsi One has always had Splenda in it. That’s the entire reason it exists apart from Diet Pepsi.

Unfortunately it may be too late for you :slight_smile:

[quote]michaelv wrote:
If I’m not mistaken, Pepsi One has always had Splenda in it. That’s the entire reason it exists apart from Diet Pepsi.[/quote]

I know they say that pepsi one has splenda in it but if you read the label, it says aspartame. No sucralose. I don’t get it…

Ah yes I went back and looked myself. My mistake on the sucralose.

The Acesulfame Potassium (or Ace-K) is the primary sweetener in the old Pepsi One. It’s supposed to be 200 times sweeter than sugar. It allows them to use less aspertame than if aspertame were the only sweetener. So the old Pepsi One had reduced aspertame content, but it still had some.

The point was that Pepsi acquired this fantastic new sweetener (Ace-K) which allowed them to use less aspertame. Apparently it was approved for general use in the U.S. in 2003 (I think Pepsi One existed before that? Maybe Pepsi had a special-case exemption?) Ace-K is why Pepsi One is a product independent of Diet Pepsi.

It’s cool to see them switch to sucralose. It’s possible they’ll continue to mix Ace-K with the sucralose, but who knows. But it doesn’t matter much to me since I don’t drink that stuff anymore.

[quote]michaelv wrote:
Ah yes I went back and looked myself. My mistake on the sucralose.

The Acesulfame Potassium (or Ace-K) is the primary sweetener in the old Pepsi One. It’s supposed to be 200 times sweeter than sugar. It allows them to use less aspertame than if aspertame were the only sweetener. So the old Pepsi One had reduced aspertame content, but it still had some.

The point was that Pepsi acquired this fantastic new sweetener (Ace-K) which allowed them to use less aspertame. Apparently it was approved for general use in the U.S. in 2003 (I think Pepsi One existed before that? Maybe Pepsi had a special-case exemption?) Ace-K is why Pepsi One is a product independent of Diet Pepsi.

It’s cool to see them switch to sucralose. It’s possible they’ll continue to mix Ace-K with the sucralose, but who knows. But it doesn’t matter much to me since I don’t drink that stuff anymore.[/quote]

I try not to drink it, but there is only so much water/green tea I can consume before I need a taste of sweetness. I love pepsi one, crystal light, and diet brisk is my favorite for when I need something sweet thats calorie free!

[quote]michaelv wrote:
If I’m not mistaken, Pepsi One has always had Splenda in it. That’s the entire reason it exists apart from Diet Pepsi.[/quote]

NO. Pepsi ONE was formerly sweetened with Acesuface Potassium & Aspartame.

I saw an ad in the newspaper today for the NEW Pepsi ONE. I’ll have to go the the store today, buy some and let you guys know how it was.

Also, When the NEW Diet Coke is introduced this spring it WILL NOT replace classic Diet Coke. Both version will be on the shelf.

I guess they don’t want consumer backlash(from those adddicted to aspartame) like they had when they introduced NEW Coca-Cola a few years back.

I’m convinced that both Coke and Pepsi must have signed a long-term deal with Nutrasweet applicable to the U.S. market that specified they must only use aspartame from Nutrasweet for diet Drinks sold in the U.S. for a certain time period – which is seemingly about to expire.

Firstly, they sell sucralose drinks in other countries – and they know it tastes better.

Secondly, I can find no other explanation for those ridiculous “1/2 the sugar” drinks that both Pepsi and Coke introduced – both of which had sucrolose to make up the remaining sweetness.

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
Secondly, I can find no other explanation for those ridiculous “1/2 the sugar” drinks that both Pepsi and Coke introduced – both of which had sucrolose to make up the remaining sweetness.[/quote]

Low Carb, dude, low carb! That means they’re good for you! Don’t you know anything?!

Anybody ever tried Diet Rite? It uses only sucralose and ace-k.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
Unfortunately it may be too late for you :)[/quote]

…THAT WAS VERY FUNNY!

Did you know that diet coke tastes completely different in the US then the one in the UK? It’s a different drink all together.

[quote]snippdawg wrote:
Anybody ever tried Diet Rite? It uses only sucralose and ace-k.[/quote]

I drink Diet Rite regularlly but there is no caffeine!

I would rather not take hot coffee, or spend 3-4 bucks on a stimulant drink/pill to get my intensity up at the gym.

Do it use different sweeteners?

[quote]fedorov91 wrote:

Did you know that diet coke tastes completely different in the US then the one in the UK? It’s a different drink all together.

Do it use different sweeteners?[/quote]

Well, initially I thought it had to do with the fact that different countries have different tastes, the MacDonalds in the US is French cuisine compared to London. So I thought Americans had more of a sweet tooth and required more sugar in their beverages but according to BostonBarrister’s post it could be due to the fact they have this long term contract with Nutrasweet. The Hot dog in London is like dog food, oh boy do I miss the hot dogs in Chicago…

[quote]fedorov91 wrote:

Do it use different sweeteners?[/quote]

I believe the version of diet Coke with sucralose is called Coke Light when it is sold in Asia and Europe.

Does anyone have a link on this that I can take a look at?

EDIT: never mind, found it.

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
I believe the version of diet Coke with sucralose is called Coke Light when it is sold in Asia and Europe.[/quote]

When I was in Europe, I really did prefer Coke Light to Diet Coke. It’s a little sweeter. Many of my friends who couldn’t stand Diet Coke were pretty happy with Coke Light.

Likewise, I think Pepsi One tastes a lot better than Diet Pepsi.

I tried the NEW PEPSI ONE TODAY and is was Excellent!

Perhaps the best ever tasting Diet Cola beverage.

I like it much better than Diet Rite Cola.