T Nation

Splenda, Aspartame, Sugar, Oh My...

Splenda, Aspartame, Sugar, oh my…

What do you guys think about Splenda as far as nutrition is concerned?

What about Aspartame?

Plain Sugar?

I guess I’m asking what do you recommend during cutting and also just in a healthy lifestyle. Splenda sounds like a wonder product. Is all the hype true, any issues, etc?

Thanks.

Personally, I use Splenda. The stuff tastes really good and so far,so good. But, if in the future if they find out that Splenda causes some horrible disorder, im screwed. I drink it in my morning coffee, low carb milk, oatmeal, you name it. I really havent read anything negative about it, so thus far, it looks to be fine…

Industrial processed junk. Eat sugar or just don’t eat sweets is my style.
I eat my protein shakes unflavored, my oatmeal sweetened with blueberries, and my rare cheat meals have real sugar in them.

My parents who were the first in my family to attempt a low-carb (starches reduced or discontinued) lifestyle, switched to Splenda as their sweetener of choice. My dad actually uses it when he’s baking or cooking dishes that normally call for sugar. As far myself, I usually don’t use sugar and if I do it’s just dark brown sugar. Nutritionally I have no idea if brown sugar is better as a sweetener.

[quote]chubs108 wrote:
My parents who were the first in my family to attempt a low-carb (starches reduced or discontinued) lifestyle, switched to Splenda as their sweetener of choice. My dad actually uses it when he’s baking or cooking dishes that normally call for sugar. As far myself, I usually don’t use sugar and if I do it’s just dark brown sugar. Nutritionally I have no idea if brown sugar is better as a sweetener.[/quote]

chubs:

Good call on your part! It’s considerably better:

http://www.sugarindia.com/bcomprassion.htm

My uncle was on the team that developed Splenda, so I’m biased:

It can be heated and cooled, unlike aspartame. I personally believe aspartame and splenda to be equally safe. Both have been studied for over 10 years.

Elliot Kolb, B.Sc. Food, Ph.D. Food Sciences

I am personally addicted to Splenda…I eat it straight out of a bowl with a spoon sometimes if my sweet tooth gets the best of me. I put it in my oatmeal, my protein shakes, in tons of my gourmet eating recipes (Great book), and whatever i feel like.

As for studies done on it…it’s not as miraculous as some people make it out to be. For one I think it actually has a 16% conversion rate (or something along those lines) to something in your body that is broken down to form energy. Also it shrunk the thymus gland (I think) in rats. The scientists that conducted that study theorized though that was due to the reduced caloric intake of the rats vs. the control group who received sugar I think. I’d have to look it up again.
Basically splenda is a very similar molecule to good old sugar (C6H12O6) and I think one of the oxygens is replaced with a chlorine or something.
Do a search on Google.
Jason

Also as a little heads up…Granulated Splenda does have calories. If you happen to look at the ingredients the #1 ingredient is Maltodextrin. Thus it has 24 grams of carbs per cup. So almost 100 calories per cup…