T Nation

Splenda and Weight Gain/Water Retention?

Well I have recently purchased some low carb sweetening products - splenda in granular form and Walden Farms calorie free pancake syrup (with sucralose/splenda).

I have been on a low carb diet for about 10 weeks and changes in weight had recently plateaued and I have been eating at maintenance for a while now.

However within a week of including these items in my diet I’ve noticed my abs filling in, vascularity dropping, my weight has gone up by 2-3lbs and my bodyfat% on my scales up by about 1-2%!

Everything has been subbed in carefully - the low carbs in the granular splenda have been counted as part of my carbs for the day and Ive been using maybe a total of 2-3 tablespoons a day.

As for the pancake syrup - 2 tablespoons a day.

No other changes have taken place in my diet and my activity hasn’t dropped either.

Also headaches recently when stressed - but may be unconnected.

Why is this happening? :expressionless:

Macros? Lol. Provide more info, on total calories, sleep habits, %calories of each macronutrient category and no. of grams.

You mentioned being stressed recently, I assume this isn’t the first time you’ve been this stressed.

Is this the first time on such a diet?

What is your bodyfat if possible, no sir, you do not need to provide a picture with a shoe.

Calories: 3400-3500 (Depending on whether I count soluble fiber or not)
Protein: 231g
Fat: 235g
Carbs: 62g
Fiber: 40g (Not included in carb count)

Sleep: 7-9 hours a day - was lower a couple of weeks ago but recently been sleeping a lot better. God bless earplugs. Uni can be a noisey place!

Uni in general has been fairly stressful although Im a month in now and for the first 2 weeks my bodyfat actually dropped.

Current bodyfat is 10.1% - however I am using a tanita scale… but I can SEE myself looking softer too :frowning:

Also current weight is approx 77kg

Hi Ben, which uni are you attending?

[quote]Old Dax wrote:
Hi Ben, which uni are you attending?[/quote]

Royal Holloway University of London

Nah, no worries mate. I actually did something similar. Should be alright. How long have you been on this diet?

You will lose muscle fullness. Glycogen drops. Your muscles won’t hold as much glycogen and water as a result of lowered glycogen, once again, the rules of osmosis apply. More water will be held subcutaneous versus intramuscular.

Over a period of time as your body adjusts, it should improve. It needs time to find the sweet spot between subcutaneous and intramuscular concentration putting it colloquially.

If you have problems concentrating/headaches, take some choline. Citrate or Bitartrate, it depends on which is more cost effective for you. Yes, they do have different absorption profiles but you just have to work out the effective dosing for each.

Specifically for concentration, try sulbutamine. It’s a Theanine precursor. Will assist concentration. Take in the morning. Never within 6 hours of sleep or you will regret it.

Also for headaches, try glutamine. Via gluconeogenisis, it helps provide more glucose for the brain. Some studies show that the brain can adapt to ketones recently. I personally have used this approach and it has been very effective. It can also be converted to glutamic acid if that is what your brain is lacking.

Edit: Glutamine will help with muscle fullness.

…or you could just cut out the Splenda.
Stevia is a natural sugar substitute that may be easier on your system.

[quote]benmoore wrote:
Well I have recently purchased some low carb sweetening products - splenda in granular form and Walden Farms calorie free pancake syrup (with sucralose/splenda).

I have been on a low carb diet for about 10 weeks and changes in weight had recently plateaued and I have been eating at maintenance for a while now.

However within a week of including these items in my diet I’ve noticed my abs filling in, vascularity dropping, my weight has gone up by 2-3lbs and my bodyfat% on my scales up by about 1-2%!

Everything has been subbed in carefully - the low carbs in the granular splenda have been counted as part of my carbs for the day and Ive been using maybe a total of 2-3 tablespoons a day.

As for the pancake syrup - 2 tablespoons a day.

No other changes have taken place in my diet and my activity hasn’t dropped either.

Also headaches recently when stressed - but may be unconnected.

Why is this happening? :|[/quote]

It could be because of the maltodextren is very insulemic?

[quote]mechanicsteve wrote:
It could be because of the maltodextren is very insulemic?[/quote]

no.

[quote]mechanicsteve wrote:
benmoore wrote:
Well I have recently purchased some low carb sweetening products - splenda in granular form and Walden Farms calorie free pancake syrup (with sucralose/splenda).

I have been on a low carb diet for about 10 weeks and changes in weight had recently plateaued and I have been eating at maintenance for a while now.

However within a week of including these items in my diet I’ve noticed my abs filling in, vascularity dropping, my weight has gone up by 2-3lbs and my bodyfat% on my scales up by about 1-2%!

Everything has been subbed in carefully - the low carbs in the granular splenda have been counted as part of my carbs for the day and Ive been using maybe a total of 2-3 tablespoons a day.

As for the pancake syrup - 2 tablespoons a day.

No other changes have taken place in my diet and my activity hasn’t dropped either.

Also headaches recently when stressed - but may be unconnected.

Why is this happening? :expressionless:

It could be because of the maltodextren is very insulemic?[/quote]

Not in the quantities that actually get ingested - a tablespoon of splenda has only 1.5g of carbs in.

[quote]taski_tan wrote:
Nah, no worries mate. I actually did something similar. Should be alright. How long have you been on this diet?

You will lose muscle fullness. Glycogen drops. Your muscles won’t hold as much glycogen and water as a result of lowered glycogen, once again, the rules of osmosis apply. More water will be held subcutaneous versus intramuscular.

Over a period of time as your body adjusts, it should improve. It needs time to find the sweet spot between subcutaneous and intramuscular concentration putting it colloquially.

If you have problems concentrating/headaches, take some choline. Citrate or Bitartrate, it depends on which is more cost effective for you. Yes, they do have different absorption profiles but you just have to work out the effective dosing for each.

Specifically for concentration, try sulbutamine. It’s a Theanine precursor. Will assist concentration. Take in the morning. Never within 6 hours of sleep or you will regret it.

Also for headaches, try glutamine. Via gluconeogenisis, it helps provide more glucose for the brain. Some studies show that the brain can adapt to ketones recently. I personally have used this approach and it has been very effective. It can also be converted to glutamic acid if that is what your brain is lacking.

Edit: Glutamine will help with muscle fullness.[/quote]

Ive only filled in ab wise and lost definition over the last week - since splendas been present in my diet. The other changes I am used to but I like your recomendations for the headaches/concentration - will look into those.

Im more bugged as to why a sweetener would be capable of this.

There was a recent thread or an article where a bodybuilder couple said that they couldn’t get that final conditioning dialed in until they tried removing all the artificial sweeteners and it worked immediately - they got in tip-top shape.

[quote]Majin wrote:
There was a recent thread or an article where a bodybuilder couple said that they couldn’t get that final conditioning dialed in until they tried removing all the artificial sweeteners and it worked immediately - they got in tip-top shape.[/quote]

Yes, Amy Llimas and her boyfriend told me they had that problem. Of course I use Stevia in my oatmeal every day, eat low carb protein bars (which have aspartame), and drink diet green tea (which must have some sort of sweetener).

Now,… I’m certainly not 3% bodyfat… under 10%? Most definitely. My abs show everyday, but I haven’t cut to the point of seeing my serrati fully defined yet. Is that because of the artificial sweeteners, or just because I’m not doing any cardio and really should scale back my calories more than I have?

I think you’re really talking about the difference between 5% and 6% bf in this regard. I doubt such a noticable difference at 10% and above can be the result of sweeteners.

S