T Nation

Spk How Do You Train?

I have chosen the conditioning forum as I know spk is a cyclist and posts a bit in here.

spk,
How do you train? What are your goals? Any pics?

Im calling you out, as I am wondering how you train etc, as often you have contradicting views compared to other t-men.

tweet

i always liked the iron game, ever since i was little. i always lifted for the sport i was in, training to help improve my sport…some friends of mine are ranked way up there nationally in the bodybuilding game… i was always thin, so i played the sports that i was designed for… i ran a long time, got to be right at 1:50:00 for the half and ooooooh so close to 4:00 in the mile… ran 20 years. took up cycling and made it pretty far. div 3 pro… belgium is where to go to see how good you really are… loved it…i always and still play by the rules… no drugs. i know just about everyone thats a pro in all sport takes something illeagle to help them and hope they get to the next level where the $$$$$ comes in… i just never wanted to put anythiong in my body other than a good one a day…i still race as a pro 1-2, but its so hard. as most are 20-30 years old. i’m 57…always set goals in bodyweight exercises, doing the normal dips pullups pushups, ab training. lift as hard as i can, but only lifting to make my running then, and cycling now improve…you be suprized how bad you hurt at mile 80 of a 110 mile race. thank god you did your dips and pullups… sit on that bike relaxed, not burning unwanted calories slouched over and hurting trying to stay calm, when the hammer is really going down the last 30 miles… hell, i’m a nobody… i just do what i like to do…

[quote]spk wrote:
…you be suprized how bad you hurt at mile 80 of a 110 mile race. thank god you did your dips and pullups… sit on that bike relaxed, not burning unwanted calories slouched over and hurting trying to stay calm, when the hammer is really going down the last 30 miles… hell, i’m a nobody… i just do what i like to do…[/quote]

Thats great to hear that you are still cycling at such a high level.

I cycle a bit myself, even though its not “sport specific” for my soccer, but I really do think i benefit from the low impact cardio and helps me control my weight. At the moment I might do a total of 120 miles a week, which as you know is not a lot and I don’t feel it has an impact on my soccer performance… if anything it helps me keep up with the younger players.

How many miles a week do you ride? What is your typical week like? How many gym sessions do you have a week? What is your thoughts regarding squats for cyclists? How do you eat?

tweet