T Nation

Spinal Surgery Recovery and Then Some...

8/6/12 Chest/Triceps

Bench Press 135x8 , 155x8, 185x8, 225x4 (all paused)
LF machine flyes: 110x12 , 12, 12, 12
1 arm HS ISO Wide bench press: 70x12, 95x12, 110x12
Tricep rope pushdown: 40x18,18,13 (slight pain in left shoulder

Slightly stronger than last bench session.

Week 2 of diet, lost 5 lbs so far. I figure I’ll keep losing as long as I keep my carbs under 200g per day.

Average macros for last week:
Cal: 2870
Protein: 246
Fat: 125
Carbs: 189

Weight. 230.9

are you arching on bench? I found that if i can go with less extreme arches except on maybe the last couple sets it makes my back alot more happy :slight_smile: Also on DB benching i just keep a tight back but no arch and its been working wonders.

Theres another lifter on here BigBen i think, he benches feet up for all of his sets except meets and test weeks i think due to back issues, hes still quite a strong presser.

how are things feeling in general man?

[quote]bignate wrote:
are you arching on bench? I found that if i can go with less extreme arches except on maybe the last couple sets it makes my back alot more happy :slight_smile: Also on DB benching i just keep a tight back but no arch and its been working wonders.

Theres another lifter on here BigBen i think, he benches feet up for all of his sets except meets and test weeks i think due to back issues, hes still quite a strong presser.

how are things feeling in general man?[/quote]

I never really had a big arch but right now I can’t arch at all. I really have to keep my lower back against the bench or else I’ll be fucked for a few days. I can’t do DB bench yet. The heaviest dumbbells I can pick up and maneuver are probably 40 lbs ( I used to do 110-115) and it still feels a bit awkward on the back.

Having the feet up helps too. I do that on the days my back really bugs me. Feels so weird haha.

Overall I’m feeling a little better, thanks. Recovery is slow and I still can’t really bend without pain but I can finally do some of the normal stuff I used to take for granted (like putting socks on without doing some crazy yoga stretch).

Nice recovery log! Do you still have a stingy feeling while walking? And what about generating muscle force in the legs, is there a difference between both legs? =)

[quote]Tatsu wrote:
Nice recovery log! Do you still have a stingy feeling while walking? And what about generating muscle force in the legs, is there a difference between both legs? =)[/quote]

Thanks! Walking is ok as long as I don’t step on uneven surfaces. The smallest imbalance will set a sting down the spine. Something as small as a 2 inch crack in the sidewalk will hurt. My right leg is still a bit weaker too. I can’t do much for legs right now so I’ll try and work on that in a month or two.

The gym at my job is closed for 3 weeks so I’ll have to dust off the power rack in my basement. I was kind of dependent on certain machines so I’ll have to make the most of what I got this week. Next week I’ll drive to a commercial gym.

I lost 1.5 lbs from last week. My goal is 2 lbs per week but I had a nice, huge chicken parm with pasta cheat meal over the weekend.

Macros for the week are:
Calories: 2765
Protein: 214 (too low)
Fat: 121 (too high)
Carbs: 205 (good enough)

Weight: 229.4

Lazy week. I didn’t record my calories most of the days of my workout. My normal gym is closed down for another 2 weeks so I workout where/when I can. It came out to 3 workouts last week that I didn’t record.

Yesterday I went to a commercial gym and got the following work done:

Back/Biceps

Lat pulldown: 100 x 18,18,12
DB Preacher curl: 25x13, 30x10,10,9
Dual underhand pulldown: 4 sets of 10 ramping weight
Lf Machine preacher curls: 4 sets of 10 ramping weight
DB rows lying face down on bench: 25lbs 3x10 (new exercise)

Weight: 227.8

Lost 1.6 lbs this week. 27.8 more to go.

Shoulders/Triceps

High Incline Smith (bar=0) :50x8, 70x8,90x6
DB lateral: 15x12,12,12
DB skulls: 25x10,10,9
reverse pec deck: 100x12,12,12,11
CGBP: 135x8 (paused), 155x8 (paused), 175x4(paused)
Overhead tricep extension: 35x12,12,12

Decent workout.