T Nation

Spinach Leads to Kidney Stones

http://iworld.proweblog.com/blog/archives/2007/04/04/399/

terrible news. what should we do?
i dont want to be peeing any stones out of my peeper!!!

Well she says that spinach has a shitload of calcium, and then says you can only absorb 5% of it. I looked it up and there is some background info of spinach having a large load of oxalates, but I’d think with so many people eating so much of the stuff we’d have heard about it before now.

Where did this information come from? I didn’t see any references

[quote]Doyle wrote:
Where did this information come from? I didn’t see any references[/quote]

What do you mean, it said it right there. Article by Susan. Sounds reputable to me…

LOL

during my search i actually found a T-Nation thread on about this…
5% absorption of spinach calcium is for the body, meaning the rest get bonded and become stone potential >:[

not much here

popeye never got kidney stones :frowning:

popeye was attracted to olive 0.0

[quote]kickureface wrote:
LOL

during my search i actually found a T-Nation thread on about this…
5% absorption of spinach calcium is for the body, meaning the rest get bonded and become stone potential >:[[/quote]

If you’re saying only 5% is absorbed, and the other 95% is not, then how are you saying that the 95% now has potential to be kidney stones?

It would have to be absorbed to make it to the kidneys.

[quote]Drizzt wrote:
popeye never got kidney stones :([/quote]

I don’t know man, the expression on his face says pain to me…

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
kickureface wrote:
LOL

during my search i actually found a T-Nation thread on about this…
5% absorption of spinach calcium is for the body, meaning the rest get bonded and become stone potential >:[

If you’re saying only 5% is absorbed, and the other 95% is not, then how are you saying that the 95% now has potential to be kidney stones?

It would have to be absorbed to make it to the kidneys.
[/quote]

i don’t know, i’m just summarizing what i read.
i think it is passed to the kidneys, from there some is absorbed, the rest gets filtered out. the ones that bonded to the oxalates cannot be absorbed and becomes a compound(?) and can gunk together and make a little rock

When I piss out a meteor…

bad news for me ;]

I have a stone. It hasn’t grown in 3 years, and I eat a lot of spinach.

hmmm how do you know you have a stone.
better not be talking about the 1 in the backyard

I’m hoping that medical technology has advanced enough to easily detect/break them up by the time I get one. Some say they are the most painful thing a man can go through.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

From what I understand, the absorption of calcium and iron from dark green leafy vegetables can be increased by eating them with something containing vitamin C, like tomato or citrus fruits.
Spinach salad with orange slices, for example.

[quote]kickureface wrote:
hmmm how do you know you have a stone.
better not be talking about the 1 in the backyard[/quote]

Xray. I passed a very small chunk one night when I was piss drunk. It hurt, but I was spinning around and throwing up, so I didn’t really notice all that much.

Then my testicles and abdomen hurt for like three days. I freaked out thinking I had testicular cancer, and went to the emergency room. It was fucking awful. The tests you go through for abdominal and testicular pain are horrendous. Not to mention urologists love to feel prostates, bastards.

So I have to get a new xray every 18 months.

And no the science isn’t very advanced from what i was told. The doc gave me some pain meds and said to stay home. Because your going to be in the worst pain of your life. So why come here and be in that pain? Just stay home and be more comfortable.

[quote]Thomas Gabriel wrote:
I’m hoping that medical technology has advanced enough to easily detect/break them up by the time I get one. Some say they are the most painful thing a man can go through. [/quote]

I was told they only break them up when they are over 5mm, mine is like 4.5 or some shit.

From what I was told, breaking them up only means you pass more, not just one. Still hurts more than anything in your life will hurt without dieing, and you’ll do it 3-12 times at once.

No way you want the surgery if they want to put stets in. I heard that is worse than passing.

That being said, I am certainly one of those people that can only absorb like 20-60% of what a doctor says, because I’m freaking out about the forth coming pain.